File transfer speed still slow as ever

We recently purchased the upgrade to TeamViewer version 12 in the hope of seeing an improvement in file transfer speed. Unfortunately it's still slow as ever with only 120 kB/s between clients that are connected to the internet with symmetrical 100 mbit/s. We transfer already compressed files (msi, zip), does this mean that the only optimization in TeamViewer 12 is file compression? That is utterly useless for 90 % of files!

Best Answer

Answers

• Hey.

Both upload and download speed is ridicolously slow in teamviewer 12.
    Its used to be good on Teamviewer 10 and the older versions.

I have another computer like 15km away, same isp (hungarian digi kft) , one of them is on an 500/200mbit connection, the other one is 100/50.

I had like 10Mb/s (or a bit more) transfer speed on windows 7/7 to 10/7 on the older versions of teamviewer. I have tried now with no antivirus softwares, without routers, etc. Anyone have a fix for this? 

Since teamviewer stopped working as it should be, im using torrent, to transfer files, it works perfect, but it would be easier to connect on teamviewer and send the files.

• Traffic
    Traffic Posts: 3

I have also upgraded to teamviewer 12 since it's release and the transfer speeds have been awful. I paid for the upgrade because they were advertising the new high transfer speeds.

I have tested using multiple high speed lines on different machines but the speed is being cappped.I have asked teamviewer to investigate the problem. They told me they are aware that its a problem on their side but they don't know when it will be fixed. so far I've been waiting 2 months. I'm very dissapointed to be honest.

• So basicly they know that something is messed up in their system, yet they cant fix it. That!s sad :(

What alternative program(s) do you use, for both transfering files, and remote desktop?
    (that can handle high transfer speed)

• Traffic
    Traffic Posts: 3

Until they fix it i'm using a combination of private hosted FTP's as well as file transfer services like WeTransfer.

It's not ideal but with Teamviewer 12 being so slow I dont have a choice until they can actually fix it. :smileymad:

• Bright68
    Bright68 Posts: 1

We have the same problem...

newest TW clients 1,2 mb speed :-/

My network 100/100 mbit

client network 400/680 mbit

both computers windows 10 with SSD drives

//Braitan

• kilyan
    kilyan Posts: 2

i confirm the transfer speed is embarassing...

• mansol
    mansol Posts: 3

537mb file via we transfer 7 minutes both sending and receiving

44 minutes via teamviewer

• A_Krastanov
    A_Krastanov Posts: 4 ✭✭

try with VPN and you will see the speed is increasing but no one tels you why.

• glawin
    glawin Posts: 1

Teamviewer file transfer is slow for me a as well.  I do remote tech support for a living and our company moved away from GotoAssist to a corporate version of Teamviewer.

They don't advertise how slow it is when taking that yearly payment.

I'll keep looking for an answer on the community forum.

• We have recently transferred to Teamviewer from a competitive product and are finding access good but file transfers much slower.  Any tips regarding how to improve the performance of this area of the solution.

• Although we like teamviewer for most things - file transfer is still unbelievably slow. For any large file moves we have taken to using wetransfer.

• Seriously you use a protocol with no checking for file transfer and then throttle a protocol with checking.
  • r2
    r2 Posts: 1

In my case transfer speed via teamviewer is about 1,5Mbps - not too bad. But via ftp it is 90Mbps. So it is probably not an UDP-TCP issue and it is still much faster to make a two step transfer via ftp (waiting for upload on the other computer and download that file on the other) than teamviewer.

• I have two Windows PCs in the same network (behind the same router) and I access them from a remote network. When uploading to the PC #1, I get "unlimited" speed, only limited by the 1000/100 optical connection limits, so up to about 10MB/s. But when uploading to PC #2, the upload is capped at 120kB/s. Both machines are quite identical, with all the same settings on the TeamViewer Hosts... What gives?

• Hello.

I confirm that for some time and with the same types of connections, the transfer of files has become very slow. 100mb 15mn (previously 100mb 1mn).
    This is really a big problem.
    The version used on the 2 PCs is: 13.1.1548. PCs are in Windows10 Pro with the latest updates.
    Connections are made with Orange Fiber Pro.
    A few months ago and under the same conditions, I did not have this problem ...

Best regards.

Jacky

• glnz
    glnz Posts: 44

Why is TV so slow to transfer files?  I can see that my current transfer is stuck at 1Mbps.  (Like dial-up!!!)

Both my computers are Win 7 Pro 64-bit.  One has 100 Mbps internet access and the other has 1Gbps !!!  (And I just rechecked both.)  Both have TV 13.  And this snail-like transfer of one file is occurring over two weekend days now, Saturday and Sunday, when presumably the networks are a bit less hectic.

This can only mean that TV itself is choking the speed.  The promise that TV13 would transfer files at up to 200 Mbps is FALSE.

• glnz

Julia - That makes no sense. I am badly throttled all this weekend to a cap of about 1Mbps, so it's some kind of deliberate choke by TV, not your 120kbps limit.
    See my post at https://community.teamviewer.com/t5/TeamViewer-General/SLOW-SLOOOOOOOW-file-transfer-two-days-on-a-weekend-lt-1Mbps/td-p/34751/jump-to/first-unread-message

• drandre
    drandre Posts: 2

File transfer speeds use to be much better than this.  The file transfers appear to be at 72 kbps to 100 kbps.  When I have a symetric 90 mbps connection and the machine I am transfering files is on the same network, it does not make any sense.

Teamviewer, please fix this issue.  Once I am connected into a machine, the software should be able to hand off and provide machine-to-machine data transfer rates.

I thought this only had to do with our version 11 but it appears everything up to the current version is experiencing this problem.

• glnz

Julia - I just now got an email from TV with your reply.  Your forum email system is as slow as your file transfers.

We reject your tech excuse.  Anything slower than 100Mbps is unacceptable, 

It's been months.  Fix it.

• Julia
    Julia Posts: 290 Staff member 🤠

Hi glnz,

Thank you for your message.

Please read my explanation about the file transfer speed. When there is no UDP, we cannot provide the speed you want and it will automatically slow down to 120kb/s.

I created a feature request for you.

Cheers,

Julia
    Senior Support Engineer - 2nd level Support
    Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others.
    Find this helpful? Say thanks by clicking on the Thumbs Up button.
  • glnz

Julia - I know for a fact that I can receive both UDP and TCP at speeds exceeding 100Mbps.  If your file transfers are slow, your technology is just WRONG.

TV should stop claiming it can transfer files at 200Mbps - that is not happening.

• beast-usa
    beast-usa Posts: 80 ✭✭
    edited July 2021

I'm also using 13.2 and all the remote computers are using UDP and the speeds are super fast one time then SO SLOW the next time. Sometimes stopping the transfer and starting it again will fix it. Other times no go, start & stop & restart still slow, reboot both systems, restart TV 13.2 it's fast again. It's the same using Linux to Winblows, Winblows to Winblows.

The three computers I'm doing right now were uploading around 200kbs. :( Their tested speed 77 Mb/s down 11 Mb/s up, my speed (on Linux) 357 Mb/s down 23.9 Mb/s up. And the upload trying all three one at a time never got over 212kb/s :( I have been using TV since version 10 and version 11 was the fastest. Not as many bells and whistles I don't use anyway and a lot less problems. I would just switch back to 12 a little slower then 11 but the best version  once the couple glitches were fixed. I do like the Linux version MUCH better then the big HUGE BLOATED version in Winblows. I like the thin **bleep** :Computers & Contacts" taking up no room. 

Also I see lots of stuff being removed by admins? That is really sad TV never used to do that you guys were great at letting people voice what they thought was good? And other software to use when yours is broken but now it gets blocked/removed? I think that is a mistake if people are not happy, try to help them not sensor them. :)

Yes I have always used the paid version. :)

• beast-usa
    beast-usa Posts: 80 ✭✭

LOLOL OMG who are your PC police? You ***bleep*** out thin "s-t-r-i-p"??? LOLOLOL WOW!

• Julia,

your is not a solution... 

After asking for renewal every year and paying a lot of money to go to corporate when you give me a product that makes 200 downloads always as advertised when my clients and I have VDSL2 V +?

• jlbahr
    jlbahr Posts: 2

I live in a town with city-wide fiber Internet.  My transfers from my house to another house in the same town as per Ookla are about 500-800 Mbit/sec.  Transfers between the two house with TV file transfer are about 1000 times slower -- even 100 MB may take 10 minutes.  This is completely ridiculous.  TV is a great product, and this REALLY slow transfer rate is relatively recent.  Why don't they fix it?

• Unfortunately I agree with pretty much every one else here. The transfer speeds are so slow we are thihnking about moving to a different remote software. Maybe one that has better speeds and doesn't cost so much every year. Please fix asap or we will be forced to move on from TV.

thanks

• This solution is basically an acknowledge of issue on Teamviewer. As somehow, Teamviewer choose to limit TCP speed to 120kb/s.

TCP has flow control and can control speed itself. And all file transfer services use TCP.

UDP is impractical for reliable file transfer. I don't understand why Teamviewer designer would choose to use such protocol for file transfer. Maybe this answer has some wrong statement.

Regarding to the feature request, it's now NOV 2018 with Teamviewer V14.A whole year later, and still there's no improvement on file transfer speed. When will this feature request be implemented?
  • Even with running TCP,  it is so slow its like almost worse then old modems. Is this because its a free version? Are they throttling the speed because of this. this is only reason I can think of. It is so bad its almost comical.... It actually seems like it has gotten worse with each new version.