High CPU Usage when idle

Hello community! I've seen a few articles posted about this, but no surefire solution, so I'm starting my own thread.

I use teamviewer on 4 devices. 2 desktops and 2 laptops.

On my newest device (i7-8550u HP laptop) teamviewer will regularly start consuming 40-50% cpu, full time. This will persist until I manually stop the teamviewer client. Since I have seen teh question asked in other threads, I _am_ using a VPN (Shrewsoft vpn client - cisco PCF vpn) which is toggling on and off periodically. The machine is also going in and out of sleep frequently.

My other laptop does no thave this problem (i5-6300u), and uses the same sleep settings and VPN client.

Neither desktop displays this issue.

All machines are running (licensed) Windows 10 pro x64, fully updated.

Any input would be appreciated!

Comments

• My Problem is very similar - only that my teamviewer is using all the cpu power available so the total cpu usage goes up to 100%. I am not using a vpn.

This happens randomly with no clients connected. Sometimes right after the application is started sometimes after a few hours. Only "solution" is to manually kill the client with the task manager

i3-8350K@4GHZ | Win10 with latest updates

• I have the same problem with Linux Mint 19 64bit and Cinnamon Desktop.

• jfw
    jfw Posts: 3

Same problem here. I have it installed on 10 different PCs and notebooks. After some TeamViever update, this problem begins to happen. I've already uninstalled the software from 4 PCs. It's impossible to use some computers, that turn into a slow machines because of the CPU usage.

• nweiss
    nweiss Posts: 1

i have the same problem with HP ENVY 15-as152nr (i7-7500, 16gb, 500ssd). 

• specit
    specit Posts: 1

I'm having the same issue... is there no "real" TeamViewer helpdesk for troubleshooting support? We only have to rely on each other to solve the problems?

More and more of my users are stating that their computers are running very slowly. I look in Task Manager and sure enough, TeamViewer is eating 99-100% of CPU performance. We rarely actually use TV. It's set to auto run in the background, users cannot "Exit" from the tray. TV has always been set up this way and just recently users are having this trouble.

The only way to "fix" is to kill TV within taskmgr (admin) or the user will restart the PC and it seems to work better.

Any suggestions or fixes?

• dont-care
    dont-care Posts: 1
    edited July 2022

I have noticed of late that TeamViewer is seriously sucking up computer resources ALL the time, even though it's only running in the taskbar and supposedly doing nothing else.

For example, I have a small computer that is old now but with TeamViewer installed the computer does not want to run because of the extremely high CPU drain.

A second Brand New computer 3 weeks ago (i7-8550U), same thing, CPU constantly running from about 40 to 50% CPU.

My main Desktop PC, an i7-7700, Always Topping the CPU usage list at about 10% and HIGH to Very High-Power usage.

This seems like a new phenomenon, please explain why. Is it because of really bad program coding on your part or what's the reason?

I run a fully paid version of TeamViewer on Windows 10 machines. (32bit and the other 2 64bit).

• Deil
    Deil Posts: 4

Welp...

Getting tired of closing Teamviewer every time I start my computers, defeats the purpose of the app (having it always running in the background!)

I guess this is just how the software is now, and it's time to find some other piece of software or go back to using microsoft remote desktop.

Uninstalling Teamviewer and recommending the few paid clients I have do the same, between this bug and the security breach the other year, I've lost confidence in the product.

• This is fustrating, when you are paying for a service like this, you expect some sort of support. maybe if we all move to a new service they might get a clue. 

• Has anyone even seen a TV support rep respond to one of these high CPU posts? Its been like this for weeks and i havent seen **bleep** from them.

• jfw
    It's a shame that nobody at TeamViewer support team reply to our comments. I'm thinking about how many computers in the world are running slow because of TeamViewer - but their owners don't know the reason... Or know it but are just uninstalling the application without report the problem here like us. Come on support team, please!!!!!
  • I have the same problem, I'm using Windows 10 64 bit, latest fast ring insider build. Is anyone else an insider?

• jfw
    I think EXACTLY the same!!!
  • matthew360
    matthew360 Posts: 15

Not seeing anything usable for me in the many other High CPU usage posts, so I'm trying my own. 

I'm on a fairly ordinary computer: Lenovo X260, which has Core i7 and integrated Intel Graphics and runs Windows 10 Pro. Recently, I'm not sure how long, the fans have just been screaming non-stop, and I finally realized this and checked my Task Manager to find at all times, TeamViewer is taking between 30 and 90 percent CPU resources, frequently splitting this down to about 45/45 with Service Host: Local Session Manager. 

I have reinstalled. I have uninstalled and reinstalled. I've restarted several times.

I have scanned for malware.

I have attempted to disable Windows' graphics hardware acceleration as I saw in a separate post but cannot locate that option since now all of the dialogue boxes are different. Also that seems like a very poor solution.

I've checked on the TeamViewer monitor driver, and attempted to install it, which promptly fails with basically no explanation other than a "failed to install" message.

The computer which is slowly being killed by TeamViewer isn't even accessing or being accessed. It's just idle, with over 90% CPU usage.

• Now it's even worse! Every time I turn on my computer I go to the clockwise icon in Windows and close TeamViewer. After a few days it does not start any more along with Windows. But I notice that the fan is turned on and the temperature is high. From there I went to look at the task manager and there is TeamViewer hidden, consuming 7% -50% of my CPU. This happened several days.

• matthew360
    Now it's worse. The behavior has spread to another computer. Heard the fans start screaming and checked Task Manager. Sure enough, CPU is maxed, TeamViewer at about 48%, Local Session Manager at about 42%. The number of times TeamViewer has started to do things that make me either have to quit using it or drastically change my computer usage is getting to be far too many.
  • Deil

yeah, I just ended up buying **Third Party Product** and advising all my clients to cancel their teamviewer subscriptions and jump over to **Third Party Product** or **Third Party Product** since TeamViewer support doesn't seem to care about our computers being unusable when running their product...

LOL teamviewer wont fix their product or let us talk about capable alternatives, what a joke. Forcing me to put in "Third party product" in place of recommendations to work around this garbage.

• matthew360
    I forgot to mention, I thought I created my own thread but I might have hijacked someone elses' by accident so, sorry. Also. I can no longer kill the app. IT COMES BACK. What's that all about.
  • Hello.

Had the same problem with TeamViewer (in my case 100% CPU usage) and ShreSoft VPN Clien (permanently disconnecting).

My problem was somehow solved after switching from my home WiFi router to mobile WiFi router. Presume it is some routing problem or access restriction of interner provider.

• bertyhell
    bertyhell Posts: 1

I also have this issue
    These are some of the errors and warnings from the windows event logger that might be helpful tracking down the root of the problem: (i'm not sure if they are related, they just happened around the same time as the 100% cpu usage)

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID 
    {2593F8B9-4EAF-457C-B68A-50F6B8EA6B54}
    and APPID
    {15C20B67-12E7-4BB6-92BB-7AFF07997402}
    to the user ---------- SID (S-1-5-21-----------------------) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.
    Profile notification of event Load for component {B31118B2-1F49-48E5-B6F5-BC21CAEC56FB} failed, error code is See Tracelogging for error details. 
    The VSS service is shutting down due to idle timeout. 
    - <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    - <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-User Profiles Service" Guid="{89b1e9f0-5aff-44a6-9b44-0a07a7ce5845}" />
    <EventID>1534</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>3</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x**Please do not post TeamViewer IDs**000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2019-05-30T08:59:12.**Please do not post TeamViewer IDs**Z" />
    <EventRecordID>70619</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="1556" ThreadID="10316" />
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>DESKTOP-I8UH9NN</Computer>
    <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
    </System>
    - <EventData Name="EVENT_PROFILE_NOTIFICATION_FAIL">
    <Data Name="Event">Unload</Data>
    <Data Name="Component">{B31118B2-1F49-48E5-B6F5-BC21CAEC56FB}</Data>
    <Data Name="Error">See Tracelogging for error details</Data>
    </EventData>
    </Event>
  • I have the same issue. I was just thinking my HP laptop consuming a lot of battery until I see Teamviewer always using up to 30% of CPU (although I do nothing with it).

• Did anyone ever get a solution?

• Yes. My solution was to uninstall TeamViewer and start using **Third Party Product** instead. I haven't had any issues since.

• Deil

My solution was to switch to **Third Party Product** since TV support was silent and issue went on for months.

[removed per Community Guidelines]

• Kosta888
    Kosta888 Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited April 2023

Hi, today I installed an adblocker for Spotify [removed per Community Guidelines]

40min later my (old) PC started to lag and I was not able to open a picture.

The Task Manager showed 100% CPU usage, I made some screenshots and unplugged the internet cable.

I thought I was hacked and somebody is copping my files.... but it looks like many people had similar problems with the TeamViewer in 2019:

https://community.teamviewer.com/English/discussion/58904/high-cpu-usage-when-idle

It's strange that "Add Remove programs" says installed on 27th March (exactly 1 week ago). Probably it was an auto-update.... reinstall ?

Any suggestions?

Thank you!