HowTo: Secure unattended access

If you plan to use unattended access, you have to think about security, as your hosts will be accessible all the time. This HowTo is for a scenario, where you don't use TeamViewer Host. I use this, because i have multiple computers from which i connect to my hosts and the other way around and therefore it doesn't make sense to use TeamViewer Host.

2016-11-30 09_34_10-TeamViewer options.png

[1] Disable random passwords

The first and in my eyes most important step to secure unattended access is to disable the random password, especially as the default settings are very unsecure. (See [1] in the image above.)
I don't think it is needed, but i also deactivate "Random password after each session" under advanced options.

[2] Disable (all) personal password(s)

This step is optional and is only useful when the host is assigned to a TeamViewer account (see [3]). If you want to do this, do not forget, that you might have setup additional passwords. You should delete the "main" personal password ([2.1] in the above image) and any additional passwords ([2.2] in the above image).

2016-11-30 12_00_01-TeamViewer options.png

[3] Grant easy access for your account

This step in conjunction with the above steps makes unattended access most secure.
First you need to assign the computer to your TeamViewer account. You do this in TemViewer options under General at the bottom  ([3.1] in the image above). In the appearing window, you have to enter your account credentials ([3.2] in the image above).

At last you have to set the checkbox "Grant <YourAccountName> easy access" ([3.3] in the image at the top). Now you can access this host without password through your account. If you have followed steps [1] and [2], it isn't possible to access this host with a TeamViewer ID / Password combination anymore.

»We are all born unique, but most of us will die as a copy.«

Comments

• bkjaya1952
    bkjaya1952 Posts: 6 ✭✭

I like this post !

• dcairns
    dcairns Posts: 6 ✭✭

Can you do a similar post but when you use the Host version? How to secure the host version where you did Host assignment and unattended password? What is the difference between host assignment and easy access? 

Thanks

d

• jman
    jman Posts: 1

I dont understand why these settings are not in Policy settings. 

• lmpw
    lmpw Posts: 3

Everything is properly configured, eg. random passwords disabled, personal passwords disabled, easy access for my company acoount granted. It doesn't matter if the OS user is logged in or not. Different versions of operating systems. UAC still requires user permission.