Install host while offline

imagesound
imagesound Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited October 2022 in General questions

We have several hundred PCs on customer sites, not on AD, currently using VNC for unattended remote access on a WAN, without internet connection. The network connectivity is to migrate gradually to local internet breakout meaning we need to use a 'cloud' solution like TV, **Third Party Product** etc. We have licensing for both.

Ideally I need to be able to install Teamviewer via the VNC connection before the migration, such that when the connections are flipped, Teamviewer comes online and we have unattended access via that method. What I can't find is a way to embed my account credentials and run the TV install so that it can finish without being online, and then when it does come online, it checks in and activates. Is this possible somehow?

Comments

• Julia
    Julia Posts: 290 Staff member 🤠

Hi imagesound,

This is possible if you install TeamViewer wiht our MSI package. You can either roll it out via GPO, or run the MSI file manually.

Important is, that you first create a customized Host module in the Management Console to get the Configuration ID. Create the Host module with the account, you want the computer to be assigned to and choose a group, in which the computer should appear. Click on "Save" and open the module again - you should now see the Configuration ID at the bottom of the window.

To give the Configuration ID to the MSI package, you just have to rename the MSI file:

Example with Configuration ID "1a2b3c4d"

TeamViewer-idc1a2b3c4d.msi

Important is the "-idc" in front of the Configuration ID. You can read more about it on our Knowledge Base.

You also have to deploy it with a password to get the unattended access.

In TeamViewer under "Options> Options> Advanced" you have the option to export the settings to a .reg file. If you press the button, an explorer window opens and you must first specify the path and a name.

Select the path where the MSI package is stored.
    The name of the .reg file must be TeamViewer_Settings.reg (always case-sensitive!)

After that, a TeamViewer window opens - in this, specify which options you want to export.
    Below you can enter a FIXED PASSWORD. Here, type in the password you want to export.

As soon as TeamViewer gets an internet connection, the machine will appear in your list, is assigned to your account and has the password which you exported.

It is not possible to run the file when the computer is shut down and we do not have another workaround for that.

I hope this helps,

Julia
    Senior Support Engineer - 2nd level Support
    Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others.
    Find this helpful? Say thanks by clicking on the Thumbs Up button.
  • imagesound

Thanks for your reply. I have got this nearly working now.

The only issue is that when the PC does connect to the internet it pops up a message titled "Account Assignment" which prompts the user that "the device will be accessible any time by the following account" and to click "Allow and Finish".

Can I get past that withone of the Policy options?

There will not be anyone at the other end to click this message.

• Julia

Hi imagesound,

Sure - if you open the MSI manual, you can go to "4.2" - there you will find an explanation for a Service Connection Point (there is also a script for it which is included in the MSI download).

The Service Connection Point will make the pop up disappear.

Cheers,

Julia
  • imagesound
    Does that only apply for machines in an Active Directory though? These are not.
  • Julia

Yes, this is only for machines in an AD .

The only other way is to use our Assignment Tool. You can read more about it here

Julia