Monitor Driver installation keeps failing and uninstalling other driver (Surface pro 4, windows 10)

Hi everyone,

I've been trying to install the monitor driver to allow black screen on my surface pro 4, but everytime I try, a message prompts saying that the installation fails. More than that, it seems to corrupt or uninstall my surface display monitor. As a result I can't change the brightness anymore until I update the drivers which bring me back to the inital settings.

I've tried to install it from the advanced options, as well as whithin the remote control tab. when using the latter, the connexion breaks down and my surface goes into sleep mode (and the driver still haven't beem succesfully installed) ?

Does anyone have a solution or a good understanding why this is happening ?

Comments

• I have the same problem. At is the problem on different computers. Windows 7,10. How can I get Teamviewer to install the display driver. Thanks to google for the almost correct translation.

• Same issue with my HP 23-o014 PC with Windows 10 Pro.  Try to install the monitor driver and it fails.  When I attempt to install it remotely, it causes major issues - flashing black screen and it locks the remote PC to the Windows lock screen.  Have googles for resolution, yet none seems available.

• david-johnson
    david-johnson Posts: 6 ✭✭

My understanding is that this is due to a 'relatively' new requirement in Windows 10 called Driver Signature Enforcement.  This means that all drivers (even 3rd party drivers like the TeamViewer one) MUST be signed by Microsoft.  Otherwise, they will fail to load.

TeamViewer NEEDS TO GET THEIR DRIVER SIGNED BY MICROSOFT  to make this go away.  I've reached out to them on this but have not heard a word back.

• See my post on https://community.teamviewer.com/t5/TeamViewer-General/Heavy-CPU-load-on-TeamViewer-host/m-p/15662

Unfortunately, as an answer to other questions on the same topic, the TV answer is something like "the update is planned but we cannot say when it will be done".

• tAp
    tAp Posts: 14

The TeamViewer GmbH code signing certficate expired ‎Saturday, ‎March ‎3, ‎2018 4:59:59 PM. That is why Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the monitor drivers and will not install the driver.. 

• I still cannot install the TeamViewer monitor drive as 2018-09-28. Is this certificate issue still in existance?

• tAp

It is for me, 

The Driver is this file - c:\windows\system32\drivers\TVMonitor.sys.   

If you look at the properties of that file, then the Digitial Signature Details,  then View Certificate of the signer, and you will see that it is code signed by "TeamViewer GmbH" who's certificate expired 3/3/2018. 

That is why in device manager it says "Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the drivers required for this device. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source. (Code 52)" 

This is just lazyness. Can be fixed by updating or issuing an new code signing certificate.

• Yes. I checked on my computer and it is exactly the same. Certificated expired 2018-03-03.

• arm3n
    arm3n Posts: 1

Ugh, ditto!

Untitled.png

• Of using uefi secure boot I don't think unsigned or out of date drivers can be installed. the only recommendation I have is to disable UEFI secure boot
  • IT-Team
    IT-Team Posts: 1

We have exactly the same probelm. Certificate is not valid.

• tAp

It is ever worse.  There is a new TeamViewer GmbH signing certificate. 

If you look at the properties of TeamViewer.exe in C:\Program Files (x86)\TeamViewer\ it is signed by the updated and valid TeamViewer GmbH signing certificate.  

TM just needs to sign their TVMonitor.sys driver with the new signing certificate and put it in the next release and this would be resolved.  

• Hey! 

I solved the trouble.

You need reboot OS without checking signing drivers.

1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, and then tap Change PC settings. 
      (If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, click Settings, and then click Change PC settings.)
    2. Under PC settings, tap or click Update and recovery, and then tap or click Recovery.
    3. Under Advanced startup, tap or click Restart now.
    4. Once your PC restarts, on the Choose an option screen, tap or click TroubleshootIf you don't see the Startup Settings option, tap or click Advanced options.
    5. Tap or click Startup Settings and then Restart.
    6. On the Startup Settings screen, choose load without checking signing drivers.
    7. Sign in to your PC with a user account that has administrator rights.
  • david-johnson
    david-johnson Posts: 6 ✭✭

@lenyadish Congratulations.  You just made your computer significantly less safe.

This is why we've dropped TeamViewer as a product.  We will NOT sacrifice security to make a product function as it should.

• tAp

This is not a good solution. 

Disabling a critial security control because TV will not sign all thier drivers with a propper signing certificate is a really bad solution.  

• You are absolutely right.
    My PC is at risk.
    It also have to disable the defender, because he defines this problem and disables the unsigned driver!!!

Let's make Teamviewer great again? :D

• mzeljo
    mzeljo Posts: 1

I am only seeing this on windows 10.

My windows 7 computers do not have this issue.

Any forecast on when this is going to be resolved?

I would love to be able to remotely control my pc without worying that someone is looking at my screen.

Please fix this.

• scoleman
    scoleman Posts: 3

"You need reboot OS without checking signing drivers." This is an unacceptable solution for our corporate environment. We are not turning off the checking of drivers. Teamviewer needs to get their software signed by Microsoft. It is laziness - just fix the **bleep** signature.

• tAp

Did you install TV on the Windows 7 pc before the certificated expired 2018-03-03?

I have seeen Windows 7 and 10 machines that work if TV was installed before the certificate expired. 

TV, please sign all your drivers with a valid code signing certificate! 

• Nice, almost 2020 now...

I found **Third Party Product** also have the privacy screen functions and almost the same price as the TeamViewer(but without install limitation)

Will turning to **Third Party Product** after business subscription expired. :)