On XP SP3, will TV 12 work?

I have TV 11 Free on a number of PCs:  XP SP3, Win 7 Sp1 64-bit and Win 10 64-bit.

If I upgrade all of them to TV 12 Free, will it still work on the XP SP3 computer?  In both directions?

Thanks.

Best Answer

Answers

• glnz
    glnz Posts: 44

Scotty - I'm sure you're right. But I want to be careful.

In case TV 12 doesn't work on my XP SP 3 32-bit, how can I go back?

Could you send me the link for an emergency re-install of TV 11?   (All my old install files are from much older versions.)  I ask because I'm keeping my XP updated with the POS hack.  That's been pretty good, but you never know.

Thanks!

• Scotty
    Scotty Posts: 493 Staff member 🤠

Sure :)

You'll find V11 on our download page here

I hope that helps.

-Scotty

Senior Moderator
    Did my reply answer your question? Why not accept it as a solution to help others?
  • It works until recently. This version 12 is considered as out of date by Team Viewer. Therefore you cannot connect to this version anymore and  need to  be upgraded. However I face problem on my XP machines, both 13 and 14 version do not work, Waiting for solution from you or someone. 

Thnaks.

• glnz

Clarence - On my XP machine, TV 13.2.26558 (Sept 10 2018) is working.  It links in both directions to other TV version 13 apps on three other PCs with Win 7 and 10.

On my XP machine, Internet Options now use TLS 1.2 and NOT any of the SSLs or TLS 1.0 or 1.1.  I'm not a tech, but that might be needed.  You'll have to Google how to permit TLS 1.2 on your XP machine, as it requires a registry change. 

• Ginz, great to know that TV13 works on your XP mcahine. 

On the internet options on my my PC, there is no options box for "use TLS 1.1" or "use TLS 1.2".  Only "Use SSL 2.0", "Use SSL 3.0 and "Use TLS 1.0" are available.

Checks on Google shows that IE 8 does not support TLS 1.1 or TLS 1.2..

• glnz

Clarence - I am guessing that you have NOT been getting all the XP updates via "POS Ready" on your XP machine since 2014 .  (Although XP support ended in 2014, MS continues to support it's XP Point of Sale devices a/k/a POS.)  It's very late in the game to get them now because the truly last POS ready updates will be next month - Patch Tuesday in April 2019.  But if you want to fix the TLS 1.2 problem, you're going to have to do it.  And after you do that I give you below the links to making TLS 1.2 available on your XP machine.

First, give yourself most of a day to do this.  (If you don't have a good high-speed internet link, plan on a week.)

Second, make a complete good backup of your XP machine.  If you fail to do this, you deserve what happens. 

Third, to get all the XP updates since 2014, go to
    https://msfn.org/board/topic/171814-posready-2009-updates-ported-to-windows-xp-sp3-enu/

(The gang at MSFN put my name at the top as a joke - I'm not a tech and have only been commenting later.  You MUST read at least "my" initial post and dencorso's post below it - scroll down.)

After following those instructions and rebooting after the registry hack, your machine should naturally reach out to MS for the updates and you should see the yellow shield in your lower-right tray.  Patience.  If that never happens, try "Microsoft Update" or "Windows Update" in your Start button list.

Those updates might take a **bleep** of a long time.  There are almost five years' worth.  Plan on rebooting MANY times.  After each reboot, your machine should start downloading more updates.  If not, see ifyou have "Microsoft Update" in your Start button list and run it.  There were updates every month since original End of Life date in 2014.  The last available updates were this month (March 2019), and there will be ONE MORE set next month.

Fourth, to get TLS 1.2 on your machine, read ALL of this thread:
    https://msfn.org/board/topic/178087-update-ie8-to-tls12-for-nearly-last-skype-7360150-on-windows-xp/

You might try doing only steps 2 and 4, but my guess is that the long chain of updates have some necessary steps to make step 4 work.  Step 4 actually starts with step 3.

Good luck.  ADDED - If you decide to do all of this, take notes and let us have your experince on the MSFN thread at  Step 3 - we'll get a good kick out of it.