Permissions when using VPN

Hi guys,

I've been using Teamviewer for a while and found it really useful. I connect my laptop via VPN to a desktop I have at home which stores huge amounts of files for me, and it's always worked really well.

I recently had to upgrade the desktop as my old one was struggling, and I was running XP on it which was starting to cause problems. So I bought a new machine running Windows 10 and installed Teamviewer, and everything looked good.

But now I seem to have an issue with permissions when using VPN with the new PC. If I work on a file on the remote computer, I can make changes and save it and there are no problems. However, if I connect via VPN and work on the file on my laptop, when I try to save I get a message that I don't have permission to save to that folder.

I'm sure it's a very simple fix but I can't remember if I did anything differently when I set up my old PC. Can you help please?

Thanks

Andy

Comments

• Anyone want to help me? Please...?

• You have to be more precise...

"If I work on a file on the remote computer"
    what does that mean? is this the desktop running W10? are you working on the file via a remote session? are you working locally on the machine?
    "if I connect via VPN and work on the file on my laptop"
    do you remote on the desktop with teamviewer? are you on your laptop and editing it local via network share?

it helps if you provide as much detail as possible i you want to be assisted.

• Thank you Antagonist for your reply. I certainly would like some assistance so I will try to clarify the problem I'm having.

I am connecting to the desktop running W10 via VPN, and then opening files via the File Explorer on my local machine (laptop), editing them on my local machine, and attempting to save them in the same location on the desktop.

On my old remote PC, this worked fine, but on the new remote desktop running W10, when I try to save I get the error message that I don't have permission to save to that location.

Hope this explains clearly the issue I am having.

Thanks.

• Doesn't seem like it's Teamviewer related. Sounds more like it has to do with the file permissions on your desktop running W10.

• I thought that initially but if I open, edit and save the same file on the remote machine using Teamviewer, the file saves with no problems.

The only difference I can see at the moment is that I'm accessing it via VPN and working on it on my local machine, rather than on the remote machine.

• The only difference I can see at the moment is that I'm accessing it via VPN and working on it on my local machine, rather than on the remote machine.

Thats exactly it, via teamviewer you are using the user locally logged on to the remote desktop PC. Via VPN and explorer you are opening the file as the user you are logged in on your laptop. I suspect that you are not using the same username/password combination on both your machines...

• Ah ok, that's a good point. Would it need to be exactly the same username / password combination? The passwords are different but the files are in a public folder so I didn't think of that.

I'll try changing it so they both match and see if that helps. Thanks.