Problems staying connected to my work machine from home machine

I have a Windows PC at work and an iMac at home. I also have a windows laptop. I have installed teamview on the 3 devices. When the connection between the work machine and the laptop is innitiated, i can put the laptop into and out of sleep mode and the connection to the work PC remains present (by this i mean that in the list of 'my computers' the work PC is always available)....this is great as it means i can use my work machine from my laptop as i believe the software was designed to do.

However the software i use requires a big screen so i would like to attain the same functionality with my imac at home. I am having great difficulties here (could this be because it is a mac?).....I can make the connection to my work machine without difficulty, and the connection has no issue throughout the day. I 'think' when i turn the iMac to sleep or when it goes idle and the screen saver comes on that i loose the connection to my work PC (by this i mean that under the 'my computers' section the work PC is now offline). I say i think this is the point at which it goes offline because i am not sure that it is this action that disconnects me. All i am sure of is that when i sit in fron of my iMac i am connected to my work PC through teamview and when i try again after the iMac has been asleep I cannot.

It is also worth noting that i have never had 3 comupters listed in my teamview computer list, I only have 2 listed; my work PC and my laptop and yet i am pretty sure i installed all 3 in the same way.

PLEASE HELP????

thankyou

Best Answer

Answers

• Thiersee
    Thiersee Posts: 51 ✭✭

Windows has a function that can switch off the network-adapter to save energy in idle or when sleeping (network-adapter settings); may be the iMac has a similar function, that switches off the network to save energy and you loose the connection.

• DomLan
    DomLan Posts: 490 ⭐Star⭐

Hi @Thiersee and hi @ka_,

NCI could be an issue as @ka_ specified, but it can be problably connected with driver card.

TeamViewer act as echo, capturing the screen; without a connected monitor, GPU doesn't render at all. In some cases connecting to laptops with the lid closed you can get a very similar result. And for PC/Mac it can be quite equal.

Try to investigate in this direction as well.

Regards

Domenico Langone

MCSD: App Builder

• ka_
    ka_ Posts: 10

@DomLan Thankyou for your response. I do not understand what NCI is nor what you mean by connect with driver card.

Also the next sentace I dont understand what you are suggesting I do? Please could you repeat but explain more clearly how you suggest I proceed.....assume little basic technical knowledge please.

Thankyou

• DomLan

Hi @ka_

Sorry for the use of technical terms.
    And sorry even for inverting the suggestions: obviously it was @Thiersee to give you a tip on the network adapter and not you.

By summing up, you have 3 devices:
    - a Windows pc (at work);
    - a laptop (Windows?)
    - a Mac (at home)

The home connection works correctly (home -> office), but after a break from home you are no longer able to see how the office PC is available (office off-line). All correct?

The Office PC situation needs to be checked: As for the NIC (network card interface) configurations, I believe that @Thiersee will be able to give you all the details about setting up the setup.

What I suggested to do was to check the same conditions as the video card and also to test the suspend of the monitor connected to the office machine. Check your monitor's power saving settings (Energy Saver). Control Panel -> Power Options

Still, you are able to check if any network policy in your office prevents inbound connectivity, via TeamViewer, after a certain time? This is the case for our structure, for example.

There are different things to test and it is necessary to proceed by exclusion.

Let me know.

Regards

Domenico Langone

• ka_

Hi @DomLan

OK i am more clear thankyou, you're assessment is almost correct in that: The laptop (yes it is windows) to Work PC (also windows) connection works flawlessly (laptop -> office)

But home -> work is problematic

I use an ethernet cable at work and dont have a wireless network option; I dont know if that is relavent to the NIC information @Thiersee will be sending me?

However i do know that there is no "network policy in your office prevents inbound connectivity, via TeamViewer, after a certain time?" because another colleuge in the office uses teamviewer in the exact same way I do from home without problems.

Leaving this to do: "What I suggested to do was to check the same conditions as the video card and also to test the suspend of the monitor connected to the office machine. Check your monitor's power saving settings (Energy Saver). Control Panel -> Power Options"

questions 1 = What are the same conditions of the video card?

2 = I turn my monitor off. I log the PC off and then I leave the office

I have done this with someone sitting at home infront of my iMac and the connection is still visable to them. However 2 hours later when i get home it may....or may not.... be visable to me. It does not seem to matter what changes i make in teamviewer before i leave the office as to whether or not i can connect when i get home. And then there is the issue that once connected at home it may .... or may not....remain connected.

If i put my laptop onto my phone hotspot and connect to teamviewer and then my work PC, perform the above repetoire to my work PC before i leave the office, it remains connected all the way home and at home remains connected all week if i want.

If the laptop is connected and keeps the work PC 'alive' then i never have a problem connected my iMac because i can always 'see' my work PC thanks to the connetion with the laptop. But if the laptop does not act as the umbilical cord somehow the connection becomes fragile and unreliable.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Kirstin

• DomLan

Hi Kirstin,

Make a phone call to your colleague and ask him if he keeps the monitor on before leaving the office.

For NIC check (in WORK PC)): Control Panel -> System -> All devices

2017-05-01_19-49-29.png

Of course in your case the first option should be disabled.

Hope this help

Regards

Domenico Langone

• Thiersee
    Thiersee Posts: 51 ✭✭

I tried my own tip in my network (energy-saving-settings for the NIC): it doesn't work (no difference) in the way I tought, sorry!

BTW, I don't know how iMac works.

Regards, Thiersee

• DomLan

Hi ka_

I've re-re-re-read your question and last reply.

Could you do this for me: the next time you leave your office computer in the usual way (leave TeamViewer service active, Windows logoff, turn monitor off)

No previous connection from home (via laptop or Mac) ... devices switch-off. When you're at home, connect via management console (https://www.teamviewer.com -> login) with your account (use laptop or Mac for this). Among devices known to your account, you should see the PC of your office: here you see the button to connect to? Is the device shown to be active?

The purpose of this test is to verify the suspend state of your PC indirectly.

Let me know.

Regards

Domenico Langone

• ka_

Hi @DomLan

I have tried what you suggest and the work PC is listed as 'offline' and unavailable for connection (grey'ed out).

My colleuge also turns his monitor off and logs off or locks his PC when he leaves the office.

I have different options availble to you on my control panel, I have taken a screen shot but am having problems uploading:

• ka_

screen shot.jpg

• DomLan

Hi @ka_

Thank you for the reply.

Now can we physically check the energy saving options?

02-05-2017 11-44-16.png

02-05-2017 11-44-48.png

02-05-2017 11-45-17.png

Let me know

Regards

Domenico Langone

• ka_

Hi @DomLan

Both sleep and screen are set to 1 hour.

I thought this was OK seeing as the screen is off anyway and the PC is logged off/locked???

Could it be so simple?

Kirstin

• ka_

Oh my gosh!! OK thankyou i will let you know tonight

• ka_

@DomLan

SOLVED!!!

thankyou for your patience!!!!

Kirstin

• DomLan

Hi @ka_

Thanks to you for your answer!
    Don't worry, it was a pleasure to help you ;-)

And sorry if I did not say it before: Welcome to the Community!

Best, Domenico

Domenico Langone

• When I try to connect to my work computer from home it asks for a password showing on my work computer, which I cannot see.  What am I supposed to do?