RDP on remote host black

I seem to have a slightly different problem than has been previously posted.  I have a commercial edition of Temviewer host running on a Windows 10 laptop.  I send this laptop out to remote sites for maintenance purposes.  I connect from my Windows 7 desktop to the remote Windows 10 laptop and perform work remotely.  This work includes some scans, and administration of Windows servers.  I have hyper-v running on the laptop running a couple of VMs on it as well.  Typically I get in, and then RDP into Windows 2008 and Windows 2012 servers and do administrative tasks.  Occasionally, I launch one of my VMs and do a scan or two.  

I was running Teamviewer 11 until recently, and everything was working fine.  However, now when I get into my remote desktop and launch RDP into a remote server, I just get a black screen in the RDP windows.  When I launch a VM and console into the machine, I get the same black screen.  I have rebooted my remote host and my local host.  I have upgraded both ends to Teamviewer 12.  The remote Windows 10 desktop works just fine.  I only have difficulty when I connect to a secondary desktop environment.  Any thoughts?  Thank you.  

Comments

• Le_Kazia
    Le_Kazia Posts: 3 ✭✭

Dear AshlandSG 

This problem with RDC being black I only experience it if I connect to a computer already controlled by RDC and the RDC on the other computer is minimized , 

my PC ---->Teamv.------> Some PC <-------RDC-------Other PC ( the minimized RDC session ) 

In this config you will get a black screen on TeamViewer , except if you maximize the (otherPC) the remote desktop session , 

Also Look if there is anything to do with Quality settings , and lastly , 

Just downgrade the (somePC) to an older version of TeamViewer and see if the problem fixes itself as long as you have higher version of TeamViewer on your machine (my PC) you will be able to connect 

And see if that helps 

Le-Kazia

• AshlandSG
    AshlandSG Posts: 2 ✭✭

Thank you for your response.  I have tried to maximize the RDP (RDC) session, and this does not explain why a VM on the Teamviewer host is also showing a black screen.  When you suggest checking the quality settings, where do you mean?  Is there a Teamviewer setting that I am missing?  Finally, are there instructions on how to downgrade the remote host to version 11 or 10 while the machine is physically separated from me?  It is currently 1500 miles from me.  

Thanks.

• Le_Kazia

Dear AshlandSG , 

About the Quality setings , there is a tab on top of the screen that has several tabs .: 

Actions , View , Communicate , Files and extra ... e.t.c. 

Under View there is a part of that submenu at least at version 11 that is the one I know of , 

and there are 3 options .: Optimize Speed , Quality  and auto select 

you should select Quality it will be slower but you may be able to see the VM's(maybe) , 

Or change resolution on the VM’s What VM software are you using ?

Well Before you try anything, is there anyone close to the machine that has some basic Computer skills ? 

but one way that I managed to pull it off , just download an older version of TeamViewer and install it side by side with the new one , I think I managed to pull that one off , or you can install TeamViewer 11 on the RDC "otherPc" and get on that with TeamViewer (11) and enable RDC server on "My pc" and then manage the change over of the TeamViewer version with our anyone being there but You have to be really careful not to lose connection because if you do and no one has the skills, you are well ... you may know :D 

Thank you in advance 

• Sunni
    Sunni Posts: 5 ✭✭

@Le_Kazia wrote:

you may be able to see the VM's(maybe) , 

Key point is "maybe". This doesn't work. I have the same problem.

• Le_Kazia

Dear Sir , 

Is being so long I don;t even remeber what we wore talking about , please remind me , and give us an update what is the current situation. 

Thank you 

• Sunni
    Sunni Posts: 5 ✭✭

@Le_Kazia wrote:

Dear Sir , 

Is being so long I don;t even remeber what we wore talking about , please remind me , and give us an update what is the current situation. 

Thank you 

I am not the OP (only the passer by), so were weren't talking about this, this was my first post here.

And I have similar problem that's why I posted here. On TV host I have Hyper-V installed and VM started via console shows black screen.Безымянный.png 

• Kentsu
    Kentsu Posts: 2 ✭✭

I have this issue as well. I have two jump hosts at my work which I connect to with Teamviewer using my android or my pc running latest win10. Connecting to the jum hosts there is never an issue but rdp sessions to servers from these jump hosts are black exactly like previous poster with hyper-v manager. Also content within failover cluster manager is hangs on loading.

The weird thing is:

win10_or_Android---Teamviewer--->JumpHost_win10---rdp--->win2012R2+ :ends up in blank screen

win10_or_Android---Teamviewer--->JumpHost_win10---rdp--->win2008R2---rdp--->win2012R2+ :works normally

There is for sure something with RDP protocols that prevent graphics to pass over to Teamviewer, but what? When going thrugh a 2008  server all is fine. Adding another layer or remote control is not ideal but is a whole lot more useful than i  black screen.

I would say that this issue started for me at around when using Teamviewer 14 for a few months. We have been using Teamviewer like this since version 8 and something has now changed regarding RDP or security measures on passing graphics on win10/win2012/win2016.

• bump, as they say. I also receive this issue.

Just to clarify the issue

I TeamViewer a Connection on to another PC (windows 10 to windows 10)

From that PC i RDP to another server (any i have tried, all be 2008r2 or higher)

That RDP window is black, no matter than resolutions

• Jenni_S
    Jenni_S Posts: 2 ✭✭

Hi TV Community,

I'm also having this issue - did anyone get anywhere with figuring out how to resolve / circumvent?

• Jenni_S
    Jenni_S Posts: 2 ✭✭

as per this post https://community.teamviewer.com/English/discussion/113895/rdp-black-screen-when-using-via-teamviewer-session I got someone to open the remote laptop lid and its working!