Report scam

these people messed up my laptop badly, and promised 4 hjours ago to refund me 100 dollars and told me not to close teamviewer, so I have'nt.  Then these Indian men asked for access to my account and talked me into trust, but now no money, no response, etc... I am about to report this to the FTC

Best Answers

Answers

• My stepfather has fallen victim to these people multiple times.  I live about 2 hours from him, so I can't just be there.  He has issues with his memory, and they have figured this out - so they hit him multiple times because he forgets - even though I've done everything I can think of to help remind him not to do this.  He has a service contract with a local company who he is supposed to call if anything is wrong - he's not to trust anyone who calls out of the blue to tell him something's wrong (????).  Sigh.  

So, I am here looking for a solution.  I would llike to be able to remote into his computer to see if someone else has access to it, and shut them down.  Is that possible to do with this software? 

• Jonathan
    Jonathan Posts: 242 [Former Staff]

Hi adestefa,

Thanks for your post!

Sorry to hear about your step-father and the trouble with the scammers. It is great that you are able to help him using TeamViewer. You can connect to him using TeamViewer and you will be able to determine if someone else is connected.

The TeamViewer panel that pops up when connecting to a remote computer will list any user that  may be connected and this is how you can tell if someone else is connected.

2017-10-04 15_36_11-screenshot2.png

If you do see that someone else is connectedd besides you, then you can terminate the entire session by clicking the -X- at the top right of the TeamViewer panel.

I hope this can be helpful for your situation.

Jonathan

• Thanks Jonathan!

Can the other party delete my connection?  Is there a way to block someone or an IP address?  

Thanks, 

Amy

• Jonathan
    Jonathan Posts: 242 [Former Staff]

Hi adestefa,

Thanks for your response.

Another party would have the same functionality as you when they are connected, so if they click on the -X- on the TeamViewer panel the session is terminated for all users who are connected.

There is not a way to block IP's with TeamViewer but you can use a black/white list so that you can add your TeamViewer ID from the computer you use to connect to your step father.

The black/white list would need to be set up on your step fathers computer for it to work properly. You can even do this while you are connected to him.

Black_and_whitelist.png

To access the options click on Extras>Options>Security. Then click on Configure black/white list at the bottom.

You can switch the option from Deny the following partners to Allow the Following partners and then clcik ADD. Then you will want to click on Manually add contact to the white list. Here you will enter your 9 digit TeamViewer ID from your local TeamViewer. Click ADD once more at the bottom to save the changes.

Once this is done, you will be the only person who can connect to your step father's computer. Keeping in mind that he does get support from the 3rd party tech company, you can always add their credentials to the white list once they provide it to you.

Let me know if this helps.

Jonathan

• Thank you for your responses, Jonathan. 

Is there a way for me to prevent my step father from making changes?  Like a “super user” for it?  I have no doubt the people who call are giving him instructions for giving them access through this tool.  They are SO manipulative, and he is such a nice person, it just doesn’t occurr to him to tell them to go “fly a kite” (or something stronger).  Once I have access, I would not want him, even, to be able to change the settings.  I suppose I could set up myself with admin login on his machine, and give him only a user login.  Would something like this work? He really only uses his computer for email and internet.  

I appreciate your answers so that I don’t go through the process only to find I can’t REALLY do what I want to - which is: protect my stepfather. 

Thank you again, 

Amy

• I figured this si the best place to start.   My grandmother got scammed yesterday and was asked bye a scammer to open up teamviewer and login into her bank accounts.  shes 89 years old and fell for the pay pal email.   well  once i learned what happened it was too late.  Last night the teamviewer was shut off and timed out.   so we assumed he was only watching the bank accounts.   and team viewer timed out.   We ll at 6 am  today he was controlling her computer and I immedielty unplugged it from the network and turned it off.  after 2 hours with the bank and dealing with that  I have turned the computer back on with out connection to internet.   I would like to see what all he did to her computer and what exactly he accessed,   is there a way to do this?  or see what files he uploaded ?   any advice out there?

• Yuri_T
    Yuri_T Posts: 2,256 [Former Staff]

Hi @triplelead818 ,

I am sorry to hear what happened to you.

Please go to this page to find more information about scamming and report the scam

On top of that please read this reply to get even more information. Let me cite from this reply:

"We strongly recommend that affected victims contact their bank, a consumer protection organization and a trustworthy IT support company. In most cases, the payments that have been made can be refunded by the bank, and any malicious software installed by the callers can be removed by the IT support company. We can also determine and block the TeamViewer ID used by the scammers if we are provided with the victim's ID.

To ensure that it is safe to use your computer again (for example, for online banking), we recommend having it checked by a local IT support company or a person you can trust."

I hope this information will help you.

Thanks and stay safe,
    Yuri

Former Japanese Community Moderator
  • Thank you,  I have someone set to come out next week,  But i was hopeing there was a way to see what files they went through or if they uploaded anything

• cliveb
    cliveb Posts: 6

hi @Esther 

I wonder if you can help. The notorious Amazon scammers tried it on with my dad a couple weeks ago. They use your product to view a screen and then steal bank details and other perosnal infrtoamtion.

You have a responsibility to fix this and can do so by tracking the scammers that create the accounts that are used. What are you doing about this please?

• Esther
    Esther Posts: 4,052 Former Community Manager
    edited August 2021

Hi @cliveb 

May I ask you to report this scam to our security team via the report a scam form on this page: https://www.teamviewer.com/en/report-a-scam/

For more information about this topic, please see also TeamViewer and scamming 

Thanks and best,

Esther

Former Community Manager

• cliveb

Hi @Esther , The page is not letting me send my report.

• Esther

HI @cliveb 

Thanks for the info - I am investigating....

Former Community Manager

• cliveb

hello, please may i have an update on this.

• Esther

Sorry for my late reply. The web team took over and I hope the form will be fixed asap.

Former Community Manager

• cliveb

Still not working.

I wish to send the message: Can you please let me know what you are doing about the well-reported 'Amazon Scam' that is openly using your platform to con people, like my 84 year old dad, into sharing their screen so they can steal personal details, including bank log-ins.

Please note that they tried it again last week (30th June). 

Can you please let me know what you are doing about this. You have a responsibility.

• noras
    noras Posts: 2

Had the same problem only 2700 dollars

• Fiona_G
    Fiona_G Posts: 689 Staff member 🤠

Hi @noras,

We are very sorry to hear about it.

Please have a look at this article about TeamViewer and Scamming and report what happened to you via this page: Report a scam.

Our dedicated team will assist you with this issue.

Kind regards,

Fiona

Fiona_G
  • noras
    noras Posts: 2

Did report as scam and e-mailed to accounting, I think, been messed with all day, having chest pains and need to rest. Thank you.

• @Jonathan why is TeamViewer not doing more to identify, block and work with agencies to track these horrible poeple down?

I work in data and know that you can identify and track them if you want to, but you are choosing not to.

Do you not care?  

• @Yuri_T @Fiona_G @Esther 

Why is TeamViewer not doing more to identify, block and work with agencies to track these horrible poeple down?

I work in data and know that you can identify and track them if you want to, but you are choosing not to.

Do you not care?  

• Esther

Hi @cliveb 

Thanks for reaching out ?

Please know that TeamViewer takes this matter very seriously and we are working together with many major tech companies and also the international and local authorities to mitigate this type of fraud.

Also - we are constantly working on new methods of finding and blocking such fraudulent users. TeamViewer will for example display a warning message if an incoming connection with a potential fraudulent background is detected to warn our users of the risk of a potential scam.

In any case, it is important for everyone to keep on raising awareness for online security and make friends and family members as well as colleagues aware of this kind of scam.

I would like to thank you for staying alert! 

Thanks and best,

Esther

Former Community Manager

• tamibock
    tamibock Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited September 2021

I got scammed and they took my money

• VictorBro
    VictorBro Posts: 1
    Answer ✓

Whatever account, close, freeze or change pw right away

• tamibock
    tamibock Posts: 2 ✭✭

Thank you...I already did

• holmap
    holmap Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November 2023

Recently had an unauthorised access from this account

ID: [removed per Community Guidelines]    Computer name: PGVA-NW4GI4 On 23-11-2023 06:42:07    23-11-2023 06:42:26    Surgery RemoteControl

Is there anyway to track this ID down to location or owner?