TeamViewer high cpu usage(10-20%) when IDLE

i have noticed high cpu usage when idle - about 10-20%
My system details (OS etc):
cpu i5-3570
win 7 64 bit
8 gb memory
Also if i restart TeamViewer service and app few times it can back to normal and use about 0% cpu, but some time later it suddenly back again use about 10-20% cpu when IDLE.
I found similar problem here - https://www.reddit.com/r/teamviewer/comments/885hmk/teamviewer_1220_cpu_usage_when_idle/
but there is no solution except restart service and program again and again... Also on previous versions i can't remember such things...

I think it's not normal. does anyone noticed this except me?

Comments

• LITBe
    LITBe Posts: 3
    yes, restart service\process help me few times but now it also doesn't help... It's very strange and need more testing. Maybe we need to try restart windows but i can't do this very often, so i need more time for testing, or maybe someone other help us...
  • paulfi
    paulfi Posts: 5 ✭✭

Hi teamviewer support,  

this issue is hitting hundreds of computers and is an issue for my clients.  I have uninstalled teamviewer completely based on guidance from Ninja RMM support.  It is not helping. 

we think it might be caused by the Enable Integrated System Health Checks in the advanced UI..  I tried finding documentation on what those checks are (just disk space, etc)  

1) do you have documentation
    2) is there a way to disable them globally?  

• LTEKLE
    LTEKLE Posts: 2

I'm also using NinjaRMM and I have seen CPU usage as high as 40%.  This needs to be fixed!

• Same issue on Windows 10, 50% CPU usage when TV is running in the background. Looks like this has been an ongoing issue for years. I advise finding alternative software, TeamViewer doesn't appear interested in fixing this.

• dzo
    dzo Posts: 2 ✭✭

THIS worked for me:
    1. Go to Teamviewer Options
    2. Select "Advanced" on the left pane
    3. "Show advanced options" button on the right side
    4. Scroll till you find "Disable hardware acceleration" and checkmark✔ it
    5. Select "OK" to close out the options

• paulfi

how do i make that change on 200 computers?  I have the ability to uninstall and reinstall TV, is there a config file i can pass in?

• paulfi

Do you work for Teamviewer?  or do i file a ticket about how i am getting hammered by my clients for having unusable computers and it ges handed off to the community?

• dzo
    dzo Posts: 2 ✭✭

I don't work for Teamviewer

to submit a ticket, the link is at the bottom of the site: 
    https://www.teamviewer.com/en/support/

As for config file, in the same advanced options, scroll down & you will find "Export options to a *.reg file".
    You can then import that *.reg file to each client, but I don't know how to do many clients simultaneously

• LTEKLE
    LTEKLE Posts: 2

NinjaRMM supports scripting you may want to contact their support about deploying the *.reg file via Ninja.  I've only got a couple machines doing this or I'd work on it myself.

• paulfi

i submitted a ticket and sent logs.  i will post what they tell me.  

• LITBe
    LITBe Posts: 3

It's not help.
    after a few months I'm sick of it and uninstall TeamViewer.

• man910
    man910 Posts: 4 ✭✭

I think this (disabling hardware acceleration under the advanced options) worked for me.  I also disabled all logging, so I'm not sure which one actually did it and I don't care to find out.  CPU usage is now close to 0% even when there is an active client connected to my computer.  Thanks dzo!

• man910

It was short-lived.  Disabling hardware acceleration lasted more than a few hours but it came back worse,  CPU usage was about 97% wherease previously, it was around 40%.  I may have to switch to **Third Party Product**. :-(

• This is apparently an issue with the latest version. I too have found CPU usage of around 35% on two separate occasions.

Will try the acceleration settings, but Teamviewer definitely should look into this.

• mattlilly32
    mattlilly32 Posts: 1

Pretty rediculous that TeamViewer has been aware of this issue for well over a year now and has done  nothing obvious to rectify the problem. We cant stay with a solution that runs up the CPU on 25/150 clients. Will submit a ticket and share here with you guys the response. 

• paulfi

we gave up and moved to **Third Party Product**.  

• man910

There was an update today although it didn't address this issue in its change log.  So far, so good, but it's been only a few hours.  I've had it where it goes for a couple of days with low CPU utilization and then it shoots way up again.  Not good.  The one nice thing with TV is that you don't have to set up Dynamic DNS to access it from the internet, so I'm going to give this new version a try.  If it doesn't work out, it's time to ditch it and go with TVNC.

• Debresser
    Debresser Posts: 3

B"H

Hello, mattlilly32

Any reply from Teamviewer to your ticket?

Dovid

• Debresser
    Debresser Posts: 3

B"H

Hello all,

I stopped using Teamviewer because of this issue, which is significantly slowing down my computer with both Teamviewer .exe files using around 20% of my CPU each.

Have not decided to install other party software yet.

Dovid

• man910

Me, too.  I went with TVNC and a ssh tunnel.  Required a lot more setup, but it's blazingly fast and at least I know all traffic goes through my own server encrypted.

• PeteOJ
    PeteOJ Posts: 3 ✭✭

hello when you say you disable all login what do you mean ?

Thanks

• mikmer
    mikmer Posts: 2 ✭✭

Seems that problem happens again since v15.40.8 update

• crazypancito
    crazypancito Posts: 3 ✭✭

I am getting about 10% cpu usage when Idle on this same update :/

• AndreB85
    AndreB85 Posts: 18 ✭✭

May I ask what computer model you are having the problem at?

We are having the same issue with three devices so far. All of them were HP ZBook 15 G8. I haven't heard of issues with other device models yet. Maybe this is related to the dedicated GPU?

• TomasStolar
    TomasStolar Posts: 2 ✭✭

Hi, I am getting same issue on v 15.40.8, Lenovo Think Book, Intel i5 8265U / it drains laptop battery within 2 hrs

• Tanasinn
    Tanasinn Posts: 1

Same thing bro, couldn't even watch a movie lol. I was looking around online to see if there was a solution but I also found this thread, and also your post.

If we're both having this problem, I can only assume that these guys pushed an update that brought this issue back. This only started for me this week, but we've been using it for a few months.

• mikmer
    mikmer Posts: 2 ✭✭
  • TomasStolar
    TomasStolar Posts: 2 ✭✭

FYI: for me the solution was to uninstall TW > update latest lenovo drivers > reinstall TW. So far the CPU is back in normal values

• Leitner
    Leitner Posts: 16 ✭✭
    edited April 2023

Same issue with 15.40.8.

"Solution 1" (works sometimes):

Uninstall Teamviewer Remote Management -> Stop Teamviewer Service for a couple of minutes -> Start it again -> Install Remote Management again.

Now Remote Management is on a newer version and all looks good.... so far.

"Solution 2" (works sometimes):

uninstall TV included all settings -> reinstall it.

Sometimes none of them works. It's like russian roulette. Very funny.