Posted by Closed account
Not applicable

Re: TeamViewer thinks I’m using the software commercially!

How many hundreds of times do TV have to be told that filling in the form DOESN'T WORK!!!

Posted by VsUK
Digon

My friend who has only ever used TV to connect to 1 other computer in his house, that he runs 24/7 has a server for various games for friends to play with on. And the TV rep rejected his claim, claiming he was using it for business due to his email account. Which was odd, because he used a gmail account that he's had since gmail first started. 

I can see some legal action being taken. Because it's false advertising. Advertising something as free for personal use. But they make sure it's very problematic to use & ram offers to pay for something you don't need or want. 

Posted by pv7721
Hexagon

@VsUK : ok, good idea with the legal action, but what would you claim because the personal use was free?

Posted by VsUK
Digon

It only takes so many complaints to the relevent organisation that handles unfair or misleading advertising. Seeing as Teamviewer is based in Göppingen, Germany. An EU country, who have recently improved their laws on scrupilus advertising or offers. Because Teamviewer is advertised as "FREE" for personal use. But no where does it say, for a limited time only. And for no reason what so ever,  you get switched to the commercial use detected & they refuse to help you. Falsely claiming its being used in a commercial fashion. Despite the logs they seek, showing otherwise. 

Its false advertising or using the word "FREE" to lure people in, then after a short while, throw everything at them to try & make them pay for something that should be free. 

It makes no difference if something is paid for or offered for free. They are rules & practaces which are not allowed. And I get the strong feeling, the way TV push people down to paying for something, by making their "FREE" product virtually useless, breaks such rules.  

Posted by Closed account
Not applicable

Okay, so how do we pursue it? Where do we go to register a complaint?
Posted by 7leagueboot
Trigon

@Closed account wrote:

Here: https://ec.europa.eu/consumers/odr/main/index.cfm?event=main.home2.show&lng=EN

However, you should know that once you have completed the form, you will be asked what outcome you expect and what damages if any you feel are due to you? To that, I would remind you that the application was supplied free of charge so, unless you have been financially affected (impossible for non-commercial use), the best you could expect is for the EU to oblige the company to respect its stated terms and conditions. Given that you have already moved to a very worthwhile competitor, is there any point?

Making an official complaint may be of interest to those with a paid license who have been having trouble with the application dropping out. It may even be useful to free users who have no desire to move to a better platform.

As someone who spent the best part of my working life in marketing, I'm just curious as to how this new strategy of theirs plays out and I'm watching with avid curiosity. It's a suicidal policy so the results are of course predictable however, on the TV forum you will only see complainers. To view the result the policy is having on their reputation, one needs to check out competitor communities, product reviews on download sites, and of course, social media.

Posted by 7leagueboot
Trigon

@Closed account wrote:

Very interesting! I replied to this question providing you with a link to register the complaint and full details on why I felt you would be wasting your time. The mods appear to have deleted my post. Perhaps you received a copy via email anyway?

EDIT: My post has reappeared. Perhaps it disappeared due to the maintenance they mentioned.

Posted by hgblade
Proton

Couldn't agree more, although I suspect that the decision to flag my use as commercial is based on even flimsier evidence than my email account - which is a standard account with no commercial relationship whatsoever. I use TV for assisting a computer-illiterate friend and have a version on my laptop and the app on my iphone. I only use the app in 'emergencies' if I'm out of the house and get a call for help, but it's now considered to be commercial use by the app. My phone only has a gmail account and gets about 2 or 3 emails per month, so I suspect TV may also be looking at the apps I use. I have Word and Excel on the phone as I have a legitimate licence for Office on my PC which permits 2 extra copies - one is taken up by my phone. Word is never used, but I use Excel for sports statistics (and my wife's supermarket list!). 

TV seem to be totally uninterested in sorting this out, so I'm now trying to find a suitable alternative.

Highlighted
Posted by Closed account
Not applicable

Remote disconected soon

I have two laptops(window & mac)
So i have many time remote my laptops.
Recently, when i try remote my laptop. It is disconnected and alert message “your connect is looks like business. Plese upgrade plan”

I dont’t use teamviewer for business.
Just if i need image file or information.
I was searched my laptop. That’s all

How can i do this problem?
Please answer for me!
4 Replies
Posted by JackHK
Pentagon

Re: Remote disconected soon

Please fill in the form and wait. Good luck!

Posted by JackHK
Pentagon

Agree totally!

Posted by NickB
Trigon

Reading all these replies with interest, its quite a soap opera.  I'm in the same boat having used TV for years to help relatives with ad-hoc support and connect to my home PC when away - nothing remotely close to commercial use and no reply from TV when I asked for my non-commercial license to be reinstated.

Its clear that TV don't want to offer a free service any more and so why don't they just say "we're ending our free service on <date>, if you wish to continue using TV please look at our licensing options".

I recently switched to a competitor's product which I've found to be very good, in fact there are several out there which are fairly easy to find.

**Third Party Product**

Posted by Closed account
Not applicable

I suppose it depends on each individual's needs but the one I'm now using is, for me, better.  No matter what TV does now they've lost me for ever.

Posted by Airbag888
Digon

I'm ready to move on to the next best thing to be honest.. I help my wife from time to time when she's away from home or I login my home server that's about it so yeah what other alternatives are there?

I remember TV back in the v6 days.. there was  no such thing.

Also wondering what happens in the future because I have a friend with a perpetual licence for TV13 and he's been asked to upgrade one of his clients TV (10? maybe) as it will be unsupported soon.. What happens when v13 is unsupported?

Again please let us know the good alternatives

Posted by pv7721
Hexagon

@Airbag888 : simply his license will stop working. For a while there was a workaround that using version 9 was stopping the warnings; but then you started getting warnings and messages that the version was going to be unsupported soon.

Posted by Airbag888
Digon

What I want at this stage is find a solution where I can install a server component on my VPS and open source client on my endpoints and work from there.
Not having to 'update' all the time when I dont care for new features AT ALL.

TV6 worked great, actually whatever version when they added multi monitor. Then after that it was just more lipstick (to me) and added software (inventory or w/e) that I do not need NOR do I want to pay a sub for...

Posted by pv7721
Hexagon

@Airbag888 : yeah, I'm constantly being nagged by disk space being depleted (yes I know, I keep my disks full at more than 90% :) )

Posted by bazbsg
Tetragon

@NickB 

Saw your morse in the email before it was censored. Very clever - but it seems not clever enough, haha.

Posted by pv7721
Hexagon

@bazbsg : if they were only so quick into fixing the real issues of the software itself...

Posted by NickB
Trigon

@bazbsg, yes, I just spotted the moderator's update too, they do seem to be spending a lot of time going through all of our posts to remove the names of competitors' products but very little time addressing the actual concerns of the TV users.

**Third Party Product**

Posted by Closed account
Not applicable

@bazbsg wrote:

@NickB 

Saw your morse in the email before it was censored. Very clever - but it seems not clever enough, haha.

:-)

It was actually phonetic - this is morse

**Third Party Product**

Posted by pv7721
Hexagon

@NickB : Ascii codes, neat :D

Posted by NickB
Trigon

@pv7721 don't give the game away ;-)

Posted by pv7721
Hexagon

@NickB : I've seen it before, I'll give it a try, thanks!

Posted by Closed account
Not applicable

Mandarin?  Japanese?  Give us ignorant ones a faint clue please?

Posted by NickB
Trigon

@Closed account, that would make it too easy for the mods :-)

Posted by pv7721
Hexagon

@Closed account : google translator auto-detect language does the trick for you :)

Posted by Closed account
Not applicable

@pv7721 wrote:

@Closed account : google translator auto-detect language does the trick for you :)

TVM Had an email from oldcelt - been banned for a month!
Posted by Closed account
Not applicable

what's the form?

Posted by JackHK
Pentagon

Posted by JackHK
Pentagon

Please fill that in and wait! Good luck!

Posted by JackHK
Pentagon

Glad to hear that!

Posted by Closed account
Not applicable

@pv7721 wrote:

Looks like that's been censored!
Posted by Tweaker
Digon

I actually had a lot of issues with this so called commercial use. In the middle of configuring a remote PC that has no UI.....
I removed teamviewer for this **bleep**. I now use **Third Party Product** that DOES recognize the native resolution and works a lot better as well:-). And no more **bleep** messages!

Posted by Fred64
Henagon

Connection blocked after timeout.

I have been a teanviewer proponent for many years. Now all of a sudden I am getting this timeout message after a few minutes of being connected to my partner., What is going on? Is this some new policy? "Connection blocked after timeout. Your license limits the maximum session duration to a partner, immediate reconnects are blocked. Please try later or upgrade your license. Connections to this partner will be blocked until 17:14."
Posted by JackHK
Pentagon

Re: Connection blocked after timeout.

Fill in the form and wait. Good luck!

Posted by Doversole
Digon

Thank you!

Reading this thread has convinced me to migrate to an alternative solution. 

I was also suspected of commercial use, filled the form, nothing happened except some sales guy proposing a discount on the license (to support my mother? really?). Got fed up with the **bleep** customer service and clearly not the only one in this case.

Sad to quit TV after all these years but I need a working solution so bye!

Posted by Closed account
Not applicable

I keep getting a pop-up asking me to comment on TVs performance! If they'd actually read  the posts in this thread, they'd be left in no doubt about their rapidly diminishing rating and image.   Instead, they're too busy trying to stop any alternative name appearing regardless of the vitriolic criticism expressed in hundreds (no exaggeration) of posts.

Posted by Tweaker
Digon

Please understand: they have no benefit whatsoever to keep you using their service for free.
In their perspective we are just annoying bugs that keep clogging their ever growing data traffic.
So they want you out and simply pull the plug. They seem to be in some kind of financial trouble if you ask me.

I already packed my Teamviewer bags and checked out already. [removed per Community Guidelines]

Posted by krugern
Trigon

@Tweaker wrote:

Please understand: they have no benefit whatsoever to keep you using their service for free.
In their perspective we are just annoying bugs that keep clogging their ever growing data traffic.
So they want you out and simply pull the plug. They seem to be in some kind of financial trouble if you ask me.

I already packed my Teamviewer bags and checked out already. Now I use the free version of *** third party product*** that is much more user friendly. It has a restriction of 5 PC's but that is enough for most of the private users.

***third party product*** :D

(Please respect our User Guidelines)

Posted by Closed account
Not applicable

@krugern wrote:

@Tweaker wrote:

(Please respect our User Guidelines)

Couldn't be more wrong!   Many of us are professionals with hundreds of clients, many of whom have taken out licenses in the past on our advice.   No longer!

Even existing clients are probably going to change as soon as their present contract finishes.

The free version is about marketing nous - pity it's so badly lacking at TV.

Posted by ImJustACowLol
Henagon

This is redicilous: TV thinks I am using commercially, and offers no way to appeal.

So last week my TeamViewer account was falsely flagged for having commercial usage, which sucks. Here's the story.

I am a junior software engineer who enjoys his job. I am mainly involved in iOS development at the moment, but I enjoy making web-applications as well. As I am enthusiastic about software development, I often spend time at home working on private projects. One of these private projects is an administration system with which I can register the finances within my household. I also host a website from the server (publicly accesible) on which I provide access to free Java libraries which I have made. With none of these things I make any money. I use Apache TomCat, SQL Server, NodeJS and some other programs to host the administration website (Only accessible within my own wifi network) and the public website.

Obviously, I use TeamViewer to connect to that server whenever I have made a new feature in my administration web app. As the application is written in Angular, and I don't have much web-dev experience, I try out a lot of things and thus I regularly throw new files on the server. Furthermore, I use TeamViewer to connect to my home-server on which I keep all my files (like personal photos, videos etc.).

I have neve made a single dime off of that server or my usage of TeamViewer, yet I was flagged as using the software commercially.

Now the redicilous part comes here: when looking around on the website, TeamViewer offers no way for me to appeal this flag. I can't call them, as that's only for people who own paid licenses, and I can't open a support ticket as - again - that's only for people who own licences. I guess the forum is the only place where I can resort to right now.

Can my account please be properly reinstated?

Update

Also, if TeamViewer would've done a proper hardware check, they would have seen that the server would physically be incapable of even being used commercially. It only has 4GB of RAM, a hard disk that is nearly as slow as a floppy disk, and a really old Celeron 3150 CPU which can barely even run TeamViewer and YouTube at the same time...

Posted by ClaireMonkey
Digon

Re: This is redicilous: TV thinks I am using commercially, and offers no way to appeal.

I am in a similar situation. They did offer me an appeal form however, which states they will respond in 7 days, and I have yet to hear anything a good two weeks later. But might be worth your while to try, at least you could get on the list. Maybe they've flagged a lot of people recently! 

https://www.teamviewer.com/en/support/commercial-use-suspected/

Posted by md2
Henagon

Re: Meet the TeamA IAM ON A PRIVATE USER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A IAM ON A PRIVATE USER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YEARS L;ONG

please give me back the private user status and non profite user 

Posted by ImJustACowLol
Henagon

Re: This is redicilous: TV thinks I am using commercially, and offers no way to appeal.

Thanks for the reply!

When I try that, and I tick "I'd like to receive a quotation by email" I receive nothing. I wonder if they're even processing those tickets.

Posted by ClaireMonkey
Digon

It definitely says "We are aiming to solve all requests within seven days. Please note that we will attend to every request." - so I certainly wouldn't expect an immediate response, though a confirmation of receipt would be nice! I'm living in hope that their request list is just so long that they're just taking a long time to get round to it. 

If I don't hear anything if the next couple of weeks, I'm going to send a message to their sales department, as it's the only way to contact them otherwise. They've told us an appeal process exists, they need to honour that!

Posted by airplane-4b7416
Henagon

suspect commercial licence

Good evening Community,

still problems with a suspect commercial licence.As explained in previous posts,i use TW14 at home and at my mother house where i control my radios,i am a ham operator ,and sometimes i connect to my workplace (school) where i have another radio/Yesterday,a friend of mine,another radio operator was trying to connectwith computer at my mother house but was logged out cause of suspect commercial use.How can i solve this problem?

Thank in advance,kind regards

sergio maria presentato

Posted by abc1208
Henagon

I think they are trying to get rid of free users as they cannot make profit from free users. They may just copy the act of another popular desktop remote access software to cancel the free version and only get paid version in the future.

The only thing you can do now is to find an alternative software and wait for the appeal. But you are most likely to get blocked soon after the unbolcked as something in your computer or your way of use trigger the commercial use detection again.

Posted by kstevenson
Henagon

Account Limited

Good Evening,

I put in a request at least 2 weeks ago to get my account unblocked for commercial use but it's still blocked.

I haven't had any response since submitting the request.

I have a single account, with a single computer added that I connect to from two locations (work and home).

Can someone have a look at my request please?
Posted by g4ugm
Digon

I agree, Many people have thus happen. Looks like they think they have decided only commercial users can use it. Does ASA cover web adverts...