Commercial use - Connection time out

Comments

• @DeepestBlue 

I think you mis-interpreted my comment, I did not mean to ask "What" those 7 Machines were for, as you are correct it's none of my business really. The point i was trying to make was more as to the number of machines ona local netwrok that require TV. I've got 5 Windows Machines, Three Linux Machines, One MAC and a ChromeOS machine in the house. However I only have TV Installed on one of them as they are all on the same internal netwrok in the house, I can access the one with TV and then jump fromt here to whichever other one I need to access, be it Windows, Linux or the MAC (Although I admit I rarely use the MAC). 

As to other software, remote Desktop does the trick for 99.9% of what I would need it do to as far as accessing the other machines in the house, or BitVize SSH Client for the Linux & MAC Machines.

The point I was trying to make here, was that TV need only really be on one machine that can be used as a "Jump Point" to access the other machines in the household, it's basically a quick and easy replacement for a VPN which I suspect is a lotmore hassle then most people are willing to go thru unless your running something like a SOPHOS home firewall.

Regardless we are getting off topic here. My point is, was and always will be that the methodology that the higherup at TV have currently chosen to implement this Commercial vs Home usage is, in my humble opinion, quite flawed and is, again in my opinion, hurting a segement of their "Free" userbase who in due time, once they enter the workforce would, or could, potentially be their next generation of paying customers. happily convincing their future employers to purchase a solution that they are nto only familiar with, but they, and their peers, have used for a number of years previous. 

Now, those students, those future employees will simply head off and look for a different solution that they can afford on a students limited budget (Free) and will work within the networks that they use (University Internet is provided free to Students)

Anyway... I wish there was some way to actually raise this with TV corporate themselves but without paying the $500/year....

• I would not have thought I would have tripped some security measure

I think it's important to remember that TV's security mechanism is not some sensitive mouse trap that a slight breese can set off, but rather a software program that appears to be bug ridden. It's primary use is to generate revenue.

You can try reaching out to TV ahead of your trip and see what they say. You may end up having use of the telescope during part of your vacation before you have to file an appeal.

It's also possible that a note was placed on your account  after your first appeal so you wont have similiar problems again.

Regards.

• lol finally got an email today saying they reset my account back to free user and they were sorry for the accident and blah blah. i go log in and i sill get the commercial pop up lol. waste of time. they didnt fix it anyways

• I accessed my home from my mom's house. Normally it is the other way around. I wonder if it is atypical activity that screws with their system.

Regards.

• Teamviewer is free in the same sense that free breakfast pancakes are free, because someone wants something, that is to say, because something is being sold, whether it is a religious or political agenda or a product. In the case of TV, TV, Inc. is trading access to a “free” license of their product for advertising and the hopes that we will tell our bosses and co-workers about this miraculous program.

Yes John, they are a for profit company, and they let us use the software but the software is not free, not close to it.

Regards.

• @DeepestBlue 

I think you mis-interpreted my comment, I did not mean to ask "What" those 7 Machines were for, as you are correct it's none of my business really. The point i was trying to make was more as to the number of machines ona local netwrok that require TV. I've got 5 Windows Machines, Three Linux Machines, One MAC and a ChromeOS machine in the house. However I only have TV Installed on one of them as they are all on the same internal netwrok in the house, I can access the one with TV and then jump fromt here to whichever other one I need to access, be it Windows, Linux or the MAC (Although I admit I rarely use the MAC). 

As to other software, remote Desktop does the trick for 99.9% of what I would need it do to as far as accessing the other machines in the house, or BitVize SSH Client for the Linux & MAC Machines.

The point I was trying to make here, was that TV need only really be on one machine that can be used as a "Jump Point" to access the other machines in the household, it's basically a quick and easy replacement for a VPN which I suspect is a lotmore hassle then most people are willing to go thru unless your running something like a SOPHOS home firewall.

Regardless we are getting off topic here. My point is, was and always will be that the methodology that the higherup at TV have currently chosen to implement this Commercial vs Home usage is, in my humble opinion, quite flawed and is, again in my opinion, hurting a segement of their "Free" userbase who in due time, once they enter the workforce would, or could, potentially be their next generation of paying customers. happily convincing their future employers to purchase a solution that they are nto only familiar with, but they, and their peers, have used for a number of years previous. 

Now, those students, those future employees will simply head off and look for a different solution that they can afford on a students limited budget (Free) and will work within the networks that they use (University Internet is provided free to Students)

Anyway... I wish there was some way to actually raise this with TV corporate themselves but without paying the $500/year....

• @Steve-in-FL 

You said "It's nice that you agree with some of my statements. Thank you."

Of course I would, they are accurate and valid, so not respecting those statements would be pointless. Agreeing with different points of view is of benifit to us all :)

I've got to stepo away fromt he keyboard here until tomorrow, this whole "Community" forum (is it a fourm? ormore of a BLOG? or some bad clone of a facebook feed?) is drivingme nuts as things do not seem to stay in a single thread... I've had a long day and need to get some sleep :) Please accpet my apologies but I'll come back tomorrow to continue the discussion as I have found it to be quite insightful and productive.

Hopefully it will allow more than one post in a 10 minute period.....

• OK, One last reply...

@WB4IUY 

You also have to consider that your Home all looks like One IP to TV. not multiple ones, what you have there is 6 or 7 machines working off a single IP address. In the case of the University where I work, we have two class B Subnets, That's 32768 (Minus a couple hundred for subnetting) individual IP Addresses. All of them routable. So the TV Account on my IP addres si mine, not multiple accounts.

Maybe they should limit it to the number of accounts on a single IP rather than this Commercial/Home IP detection they are doing. So a "Free" version would allow for one or two accounts per IP Address and Commercial Versions woudl ahve that limit lifted....

OK I'll leave that one hanging....

• The Declaration is a pointless exercise IMHO. TV checks the source and destination IP Address, and if either one is from what they determine to be a "Commercial" IP then you get blocked, end of story. I've doen the same thing, actually got a reply indicating that my account was cleared for personal use and it kept happening. So I called and the reply was that because the machine I was using (At the University) was on a Commercial IP Address I was blocked. However if I were to use it form my Home to connect to my folks home PC I woudl not get the blocking warning.

So check the IP Address of the source and destination, IP2Location will give you a "Usage Type" which in my case is "(EDU) University/College/School" which TV considers to be Commercial and get's blocked...

• @edawen 

I don't think that accessing in reverse will cause this, because I have been doing that for over ten years from my parent's house when I visit them.  

• @edawen 

TV is professional-level software that they allow us to use for free.  They are not giving a free version, they are giving the pro version.  Very few pro companies I know of do this.  And if they do, the software bugs you incessantly with ads.   I have pro software that I pay for that bugs me with ads all day long.

My statements were about Customer Support. To expect paid level support from a free service is not rational.  I am not saying anyone here is doing that, but there is an old saying that I think a lot of people on here would do well to learn.

"You can catch more flies with honey than with poison."

• @Johnhoward28 

I don't think anyone here is expecting a "Paid Level of SUpport" in fact I don't think what we want is any sort of "Support" at all, at least not support with the software itself.

TV has implemented a new medhodology of chekcing what is or is not "Commercial" and people, moreover the free users, are being negativily impacted by the heavy handed way in which this was implemented. Trying to get an issue resolved, and issue that TV themselves have caused has proved to be not only frustrating, but in the long run futile as even after signing declerations and jumping thru hoops, if your IP is on thier list of "Commercial" IP's you are still going to get blocked.

Again I don't begrudge them in trying to clamp down on people who are using TV in a commercial capacity I just wish they would take a closer look at how it's being implemented and maybe listen to the feedback here on this message board...

• Exactly,

And really part of my personal displeasure with the methodology they are employing to determine who is "Commercial" and who is not. 

Calssifying a University or educational establishment as a "Commercial" environment is, IMHO, shooting themselves in the foot. The University I work at has close to 40,000 Students, many of whom I suspect would use TV to continue to support thier family now that they are no longer livng at home. Eventually these Studentsa will graduate and enter the work force. And possibly bring their experience and apprciation of what TV can offer to their new jobs, at which point you have hundreds, if not thousands of people telling their employers that TV is the cest soloution for Over the Shoulder support.

There are 96 Universities in Canada, and some 1,400 (Conservative count) in the United Stated. (So call it 1500 for easy Math) If only 10 Graduates from each of these enter the work force and start touting the benifits of TV and how it's helped them so much int he past, that equates to 15,000 people, every year, entering the workforce extolling TV and it's benifits.

Seems like a bad idea to cut them off from being able to use TV and forcing them to find some alternative....

• @ScratchMang 

"Seems like a bad idea to cut them off from being able to use TV and forcing them to find some alternative...."

I agree.  I know I have told a lot of people, including professional businesses, about TV, because of my positive experience with it.  

• @Johnhoward28 wrote:

@ScratchMang 

"Seems like a bad idea to cut them off from being able to use TV and forcing them to find some alternative...."

I agree.  I know I have told a lot of people, including professional businesses, about TV, because of my positive experience with it.  

As have I. And I can work aroudn the "Commercial" blocking as I have the infrastructure in place both at Home and at work to now really be all that troubled by it truth be told. But yeah, it's a shame the took such a heavy handed approach to this. As I mentioned when I was talking to the TV 'Sales" guy about my issue (They actually called me) and heard that they were limiting it by the Source and Destination IP I was dumb struck. I work with firewall and IP restricitions almost daily, and I was dumb struck with the methodology the decided upon.

• Hello Steve. You make a good point, but I think the inability of the algorithm to detect multiple IDs performing similar activity from the same IP shows out simplistic and ineffective it is. In my case I used TV to call from my mom's PC to my home PC, something that probably had not been done been done before (usually it is the other way around.)

I wish they would spend more time (money) optimizing their algorithm so there would be fewer false detections and potentially more positives that are currently missed.

Regards.

• @edawen 

Unfortunatly, for "most" commercial environments that's how it works, You have one, maybe two IP Addresses and 10, 20 or 100 machines behind it. (It's called NAT, Network Address Translation).

I suspect that they have a limit on how many machines would be considered "Reasonable" for home use. Like a family of four, would have four machines. Whereas a business would have 10, 20 or more. So when they detect more than a set limit of ID's originating form a single IP Address they assume (rightly or worngly) that it's not a "Home User"

I know in my circle of "Nerd" and "Non-Nerd" friends the "Nreds" have numerous machines, usually more than 4. (As do I to be honest) where as my "Non-Nerd" friends usually have two or three tops.

• @ScratchMang wrote:

I don't think anyone here is expecting a "Paid Level of SUpport" in fact I don't think what we want is any sort of "Support" at all, at least not support with the software itself.

TV has implemented a new medhodology of chekcing what is or is not "Commercial" and people, moreover the free users, are being negativily impacted by the heavy handed way in which this was implemented. Trying to get an issue resolved, and issue that TV themselves have caused has proved to be not only frustrating, but in the long run futile as even after signing declerations and jumping thru hoops, if your IP is on thier list of "Commercial" IP's you are still going to get blocked.

Again I don't begrudge them in trying to clamp down on people who are using TV in a commercial capacity I just wish they would take a closer look at how it's being implemented and maybe listen to the feedback here on this message board...

YES! This is the issue ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ !!

I only fault Teamviewer for their false accusations and for failing to live up to the (false) statements on their website about free for personal use and the scenarios that they claim are free personal use but which they are now blocking.

Kse Dyna --

• @Technut wrote:

I only fault Teamviewer for their false accusations and for failing to live up to the (false) statements on their website about free for personal use and the scenarios that they claim are free personal use but which they are now blocking.

But they are not false. It is free for personal use. they have just defined "Personal Use" as originating and terminating at an IP Address that is not listed as "Commercial". SO their statements are true, it's how they decide what is a "Commercial" IP Address and what is a "Home"  IP Address that's flawed.

I've been thinking on this a bit, and it's quite possible that they are using a PBL (Policy BLock List) of some sort. SpamHaus uses a similar list to prevent SPAM E-Mail. In short how it works, is your ISP has an assigned block of IP Addresses, those IP Addresses have Terms and COnditions associated with them, so basically if you are a Home User, with an IP That is desiganted for "Home" use, the terms and conditions from you ISP would most likely include a line that states you are not allowed to run a Mail Server. 

So it might be something like that they are checking, some sort of PBL that defines Home vs Business IP addresses? It's a possibility, similar to the IP2Location Database, there's a lot fo them out there they just need to re-think how they are implementing it, and more over how they are granting exemptions. It's probably cost them a lot more in dealing with the complaints, and those "Declerations" then they have earned in new registrations by far...

• Whoa there big fella...

I have 3 PC's on my desk (1 for gaming, 1 for Plex), and a laptop (mostly because it's a gadget and I'm a guy.) I have a server, and 2 NASs (NASes ?). I have 2 networked printers (a third network wide carriage photo printer in the box) and another 8 headless PCs in a render farm on their own private network. The render farm doesn't have TV on it yet. Oh, and one of those all in one computers running Linux (that's the one I am posting from now) and a laptop just for Arduino / Raspberry Pi electronics work.) All that other stuff, that it for graphics work, I love Vue and Maya. It is just slow for me to learn them. (I also have several computers that do not have TV installed yet, 3 Compaq 286s, IBM AT, IBM PC/XT, Challenger C1P.)

I am a disabled veteran so I have plenty of time on my hands, nothing commercial, it's either do something or die. There is nothing here that should trip TV's Commercial Use trigger, and it was using TV at mom's house that caused the problem. She has one machine.

So, you were saying about 6 or 7 machines .....

• Teamviewer thinks I'm using it commercially but just when i'm using the chrome browser extension on my computer. I wanted to fill out the form here https://www.teamviewer.com/en/support/commercial-use-suspected/ to regain access, but there is no "teamviewer ID" when using the Chrome Browser extension to access my remote computer. I can't install the full teamviewer program on my computer which is why i'm using the browser extension to access a computer at home. Definately falls under personal use. 

• If the Server has 

@edawen wrote:

Whoa there big fella...

I have 3 PC's on my desk (1 for gaming, 1 for Plex), and a laptop (mostly because it's a gadget and I'm a guy.) I have a server, and 2 NASs (NASes ?)

And there it is. If TV is installed on that Server that would have done it. (Well if it's a winbdows based Server anyway) As the terms of Service from TV clearly states that using TV ona Server OS would be considered Commercial Usage.

I'm not advocated for their policy, so don't take we wrong there. I'm just trying to figure out how it is they determine what's Commercial and what's not commercial. I've written serveral other posts musing on the possibilities ranging from IP Blocks (so like /16/s /13's etc) and who they are assigned to, to things like the IP2Location Database that clearly has things like " Usage Type" (EDU, MIL, ORG, COM etc...) To PBL's (Policy Block Lists) based upon your individual ISP's terms of service. Regardless of HOW they are implementing it, it is being implemented with a very heavy hand, not being managed with any sort of reliability, and is punishing people who are unfortunate enough to be listed as being on commercial IP's when they are clearly not, which for the 37,000 Students at the University I work at is exactly the case. It is far from reasonable in anyone mind to think that Students at any educational establishment would be "Commercial"....

Oh, and two other side notes... 
    1 - Which Flavour of Linux? (Curosity really, Ubuntu? Suse? Deb?)
    2 - Thank you for your Service. As a Military Brat, and having served. 

• I would like to stop following/getting email notifications for this particular Post.  I see a Global stop in settings but that would cover all..I just want this one.  Can it be done?  How? 

• i totally agree, i love to be updated but not every single reply is needed lol. 

on a side note,. apparently the ID from your phones teamviewer app has to be entered in the form as well. teamviewer told me that might be whats triggering it and not my computers teamviewer, so had to put another form submission for the app. so sad

• Community posts will not fix the issue.  I am no longer promoting this product.

Their commercial use blocking practices make the product unusable so I do not use it or recommend it to anyone anymore. In fact, I try to dissuade people from using it. 

If you are going to pay for a product, I prefer to promote companies and products that don't "ghost" the people that got them where they are.  Free user word of mouth is how they have become the best.  Now we are nothing but a money grab. 

If you are upset that you can't use the free version like you used to, you should do the same.  If you've been using it commercially and can no longer do so, thanks for messing it up for everyone else.

• @rbmoving wrote:

I would like to stop following/getting email notifications for this particular Post.  I see a Global stop in settings but that would cover all..I just want this one.  Can it be done?  How? 

Honestly I have no idea. To be honest I have run a set of FOrums for over 10 Years now, probably closer to 20 using all sort of different types of software, and this community board/blog that TV has is by far the worst I have ever has the displeasure of using....

• Steve-in-FL
    Steve-in-FL Posts: 27 ✭✭

OK, maybe I have an answer, but I have never actually fully executed the process.

1. Click on your icon/username at the top of the page
    2. Seelect "My Subscriptions"
    3. The resulting page should show a list of subscriptions. In the check box on the left, check the one you want to delete.
    4. In the middle of the page, hover over "Email Subscription Options"
    5. Click on "Delete Selected Subscriptions"

Let us know if that works.

• Seems it did because that Post disappeared from my Subscription list; thank you.  Those that continue with this issue; I wish you good Luck.  So far its changed back to personal for me; used it today 

• **bleep**. Not your day, I'd save that money if you were going to get a lottery ticket. 8).

When you filled out the appeal form and they ask for the ID#, just which ID are they talking about? When I was thinking of completing the form for myself, I was wondering if I put the ID if the computer I was on, my mom's machine, or the machine I was tryng to access, which was my machine

Perhaps you should resubmit the form with the other ID, an explaination of what happened, and what happened when you appealed and explained what happened that time.

Good luck, may the farce be with you.

Regards.

• @edawen 

Yeah, not my day indeed. Seems they don't care what you are using TV for, it's all down to the IP and what they have classified the IP as (Commercial or Home) As I have sent in all four of the ID's as well as an explination of what each one was, and they could also check my account as they are all there too.

The reply I recieved (At least the relevant bits) was as follows..

Furthermore, please keep in mind that a TeamViewer connection always
    involves two devices (TeamViewer IDs) and the pop-up might be displayed
    because of the remote side.

So regardless of having my ID freed up, and proving to them that it's non-commercial, and explaing why and what I was using TV For, due to one of the machines being at the University, and that machine's IP Address is classified as "Commercial" I have no recourse. Which is what brought me here originally hoping to find an actuall member of TV Staff who I may be able to explain the situation to, or open a trouble ticket explaining what was happening. But it seems that these message boards are not monitored by TV themselves. Pity really, there's a good group of people here....