Announcements

Shape the future of your TeamViewer product with our Product Team. Click here to join!

Posted by mys5droid
Henagon

detected commercial use

I use my TV between my phone, my Grandmother's PC and all of my computers at home - a mix of windows and linux computers.

When I was logged in to two PC's I got a message saying that "business use was detected" and that I "would be logged out in 5 minutes"

As previously mentioned, I use this for personal use only... How and why does TV think my usage is "business"?

I literally use it to connect to my computers at home while on the move with my cellphone and to help my grandmother fix her computer (still personal use)

You can not detect personal or business use by code. So I would like to know what factors are used to "detect" this. Because clearly it does not work.

Posted by ScratchMang
Trigon

Re: detected commercial use

@mys5droid 

You are correct, the methodology they use to determin Commercial vs Home use is based upon the Source and Destination IP address and nothing else. So if you are connecting from your house to someone elses house then those IP's are (Should) be in their Database or whatever database they are using as home IP addresses. Goto the Library, that's commercial and your blocked, goto an internet Cafe, commercial and your blocked, Goto a school or university, commecrial and your blocked.

As per the E-Mail I recieved from TV...

Furthermore, please keep in mind that a TeamViewer connection always
  involves two devices (TeamViewer IDs) and the pop-up might be displayed
  because of the remote side.

So they check both the Source and Destination IP, and if either one is for whatever reason on their list of Commercial IP's, they block it. You can fill out the form, write a letter, donate blood and sacrafice you first born child, and it will not make a lick of difference. If your on what they list as a commercial IP Address your screwed and there is not recourse to resolve the issue other than to try a different product I'm afraid to say.

 

 

Posted by Steve-in-FL
Trigon

Re: detected commercial use

"You are correct, the methodology they use to determin Commercial vs Home use is based upon the Source and Destination IP address and nothing else."

That cannot be correct, as multiple people have reported that they have several IDs in one location and that only some of them are flagged. This is my situation as well. I have 7 IDs within my home and one of them is flagged when connecting with any of the others. The others all work to any others in the group.

There have to be additional characteristics that TeamViewer takes into account. (Incorrectly, it appears.)

I sent in the standard form for each of the IDs I use. It worked for all but that one ID, referenced above. They just sent me a new form to sign asking me to swear that I am non-commercial. I just sent it in this morning. Let's see if they unflag that ID. I'll keep everyone posted.

Posted by kfsutops
Trigon

Re: detected commercial use

With no word from TV to explain how this happens, and with no responses to unflag the users we will never know.

Life is to short. Find another solution. TV isn't going to do anything to help us. I made adjustments and moved on. I also will ensure I have reviewed TV anywhere possible to ensure out potential users are aware of this arbitrary process. 

 

 

Posted by Steve-in-FL
Trigon

Re: detected commercial use

"With no word from TV to explain how this happens, and with no responses to unflag the users we will never know."

Well, I wouldn't say "no responses." Some people have had IDs unblocked, so that's a response. I believe some people have said they received followup emails. So, TeamViewer is not doing nothing. But, that doesn't excuse the fact that the responses are not sufficient. I would submit to you, that if they unblocked all of the IDs that people submitted on the forms, no one would be complaining.

Posted by kfsutops
Trigon

Re: detected commercial use

Take it how you want. Everybody has their own interpretation of events.


What I submit is, most people on this thread have submitted requests to have their issue reviewed and possibly unlocked/corrected. I would also submit most people have received no response. 

I submitted my request a couple of times and have yet to have one response. If TV reviewed my ID's and determined that it was commercial use (which it surely isn't), don't you believe a response is warranted either way? 

In my opinion, there response is not consistent and is arbitrary. To me, this shows a lack of professionalism. 

Posted by Johnhoward28
Trigon

Re: detected commercial use

@kfsutops 

I agree with you, but if you would have read my previous post about their lack of response, it might shed some light on the potential reason you have gotten no response.

In my vast experience as a computer technician, web developer and internet entrepreneur since the 1990s, I have dealt with countless internet companies and I have seen a consistent trend in dealing with them.  This trend is that they seek to avoid conflict at all cost, and this endeavor to avoid conflict can certainly be perceived as a lack of professionalism, and I personally agree with you that it is most definitely a lack of professionalism. 

However, the unfortunate reality of the situation is that dealing with conflict, cost money, time and resources. Thus, almost no internet company allocates serious resources to conflict resolution departments for their FREE services.  For paying customers, they will listen to your complaints all day long, but when you are a Free user, every minute they are talking to you, is costing them money, and the company cannot justify to its investors the expense of providing paid level support to users of free services.  As undesirable as this is, it is simply a fact and reality of internet life.

In my experience, the normal process by which most companies handle conflict resolution with users of FREE services is this.  If the answer to your problem is, YES, they will send you a confirmation of this.  If the answer to your request is, NO, they prefer to not respond at all.  Why is this?  Because when they say,  YES, that is the end of the matter; but when they say NO, that is just extending the matter which will require further involvement of their CS department, which cost them money.

So what does this mean?  It means that if you have submitted a request to have your account returned to Free status and they did not respond, it probably means that after looking at your explanation, they did not believe you or they were not convinced.  So, they simply chose not to respond in order to prevent further conflict. 

Is this why they have responded not to you, I have no idea?  All I am saying is that I submitted my request and they responded in less than 72 hours. So, that is evidence that there are people looking at the request.  If people are looking at the request, there is no logical reason why they would have looked at my first request, and not looked at your multiple requests. Logical deduction would indicate that your requests have been looked at.  If they have, then why have they not responded?  Well, it goes back to what the answer would be.  A YES answer would have certainly been sent out.  So, that only leaves the possibility that the answer was NO and they don't want to get into an argument about it. 

This is all my speculation about what MIGHT be going on for a lot of the people on here that have submitted requests and have not received answers.  I really have zero internal knowledge of how TV's CS department works. 

Posted by ScratchMang
Trigon

Re: detected commercial use

Is the Blocked ID running a version of windows Server? (2008? 2010? 2012?) if so, then it's blocked as Servers are deemed to be "Commercial".

As to other OS's who knows as a Linux Desktop and Server are basically the same OS.


Posted by ScratchMang
Trigon

Re: detected commercial use

@Johnhoward28 

I agree with you in principal that for a company to invest time into supporting "Free" users is a money pit that on the surface would be see by "Bean Counters" as a waste of resources. Without a doubt I can see your point.

However even witht hat said, I would suspect that there are a lat, and I do mean a lot of "Free" users who are, for want of a better term, "Not working". So kids, kids in School, who are supporting their friends, family, Aunts, Uncles using TV as the goto remote software.

Eventually those "Kids" will enter the workforce and bring with them a history of using TV as their "Goto" support device. The Heavy Handed way in which TV has fdecided to implement their blocking of what they deem to be "Commercial" use is deeply flawed. I've made this point a number of times here, but I'll say it again. To consider education establishments as "Commercial" is a huge mistake. Student's (Kids) I would suspect are a large portion of their "Free" users, and by cutting them off, forcing them to find alternatives to TV they are shooting themselves in the foot if you ask me. 

In short by cutting off educational establishments, from using their free version they are cutting off their next generation of users. 

Worse yet, but completely ignoring their "Free" user base, by not participating in thses message boards, buy not having at least one person listening and interacting with the community, even if we are not paying users is a huge mistake.

Personally I'm not willing to pay the $500/year for a Commercial license. The math does not work out, it would cost me close to $60 per connection to my Folks out east. It would actually be cheaper for me to fly out and visit them for a week every year then to pay the Commercial licensing fee.

Maybe a "Home" version would be the way to go. Let me connect remotely to my folks out east, disable the Voice, Video, File Transfer capabilities for the "Home" version and charge me $50/year. I'd be more than happy to pay that and not have to deal with this poorly implemented blocking system thay have imposed upon us.

As it stands I've gone around and removed TV form all the systems I had it installed on and have put a new (if not slightly more complex) method of assisting family ont he East coast when they require it.

Word of mouth is a powerful thing, my counterparts are all looking at alternatives and are activly discouraging people from using TV in favour of other options....

It's a pity, as they have a great product, but whoever it was that put this blocking system in place really needs to be taken to task and possibly shown the door if you ask me.

 

Posted by User333717
Henagon

Looks like Teamviewer no longer cares!

Team viewer no longer cares about their free users. I'M SWITCHING TO GOOGLE AND I SUGGEST EVERYONE ELSE DOES THE SAME! Check out [the link has been removed as per the community guidelines.]and if you can't click the link or don't want too just do a search on google for **Third Party Product**. It's free to use and they aren't going to try and pull this **bleep** on you as well.... At least I freaking hope so!

Posted by sillycat41
Digon

Re: "Your license limits the maximum session duration" for FREE personal use

I'm having the same problem.  Have used TV for many years... usually only once or twice a month... to help friends.  About a month ago I got the message that I was using it for business purposes, wrote to them and still have not heard back.  I think you're right... this is their way of telling us they no longer want us "free users".  Time to look for another program. 

Posted by danik1956
Henagon

How to unblock id suspected for commercial use

What ID needs to specified on the request form to unblock suspected commercial use?

The local ID?  each remote ID that is linked to my account ?

Posted by alextprice
Henagon

Re: Commercial use suspected using Chrome Browser Extension

Still no response. Really want to get this fixed. Thanks!

Posted by ScratchMang
Trigon

Re: How to unblock id suspected for commercial use

IMHO,

Don't waste your time, find a different product to use for remote control. I've jumped thru the hoops, filled in the forms, sent the E-Mails, even got a response saying my account ID's were marked as non-commercial. And yet, I still have one blocked account as it at a University, and they consider Universities to be Commercial.

So basically regardless of what you do, if they deem the source IP or destination IP to be commercial, you'll get blocked, If your connecting to a Server Operating system, You'll be blocked. And there's no option available to you but to pay the $500/year subscription for a commercial license.

Save yourself some hassle and aggravation trying to sort it out and invest the time into implementing a different solution. 

Posted by Steve-in-FL
Trigon

Re: How to unblock id suspected for commercial use


@danik1956 wrote:

What ID needs to specified on the request form to unblock suspected commercial use?

The local ID?  each remote ID that is linked to my account ?


You must submit one form for each ID that you use. Your own ID and all the remote IDs on the other ends.

Posted by Steve-in-FL
Trigon

Re: How to unblock id suspected for commercial use

So, for what it's worth: I emailed in my signed form (not the initial one that lists the ID, but the one they specifically asked for in an email, where you swear you are not commercial) and, in less than 24 hours, that ID is now unblocked. I now have all 13 of my IDs unblocked. So for me the process worked. It remains to be seen for how long, but at the moment I am good.

Good luck to everyone who is still having trouble.

Posted by twave
Photon

Re: Commercial use suspected using Chrome Browser Extension

They must have tweaked their commercial use algorithm because I been using a Chromebook  with the Chrome Teamviewer extension for many months with no issues.  I started getting the message a few days ago.   Using a chromebook with Teamviewer makes a lot of sense since the chromebook batteries last so darn long (mine 10hrs).  Until the correct the situation Teamviewer is almost unuseable.   BTW, I use Teamviewer on chomebook extension to primarily access only 1 computer.   Hardly commercial use.

Posted by aruybal
Neutron

Re: TeamViewer thinks I’m using the software commercially!

I tried unsuccesfully to fill the form proposed in the link https://www.teamviewer.com/en/support/commercial-use-suspected because it does not allow me to fill the "Affected teamviewer ID" field. I tried logged to the mngmt console, unlogged, from a normal browser, from hidden mode, I do not what is going on.

I use Teamviewer exclusively for friends and family, they need my help as I moved abroad from my country after living there for 50 years where I was the "computer support guy" as an advance user for many years. 

Please, help me get back to the full free version. 

Thanks

 

Posted by BobF4
Henagon

Either your license or your partner's license is blocked

I had a commercial account, but dropped it, since I am a single user, helping out friends & family. Recently, that lapsed, and I am back to being a free user. 

When I attempt to connect to a remote compuer, on my OWN home network, I am getting:

Either your license or your partner's license is blocked

How do I regain access?  HELP!!!

Posted by wrswaim
Trigon

Re: no way to submit a ticket

Same here. Thought it was just me.  I suddenly get a "your using this commercially" message on screen which couldn;t be farther from the truth.  

Posted by tjhall1000
Digon

Re: How to unblock id suspected for commercial use

honestly. while this issue has been happening.... i downloaded **Third Party Product** cuz i needed to watch my anime while not at home. cuz thats the only reason i use TV is to watch anime on my computer while im not home. 

[removed per Community Guidelines - Sales/Solicitation policy]

im sad i never knew about chromes version

Posted by Moderator Moderator
Moderator

Re: Commercial use suspected using Chrome Browser Extension

Hi @alextprice ,

Thank you for your post.

In your case, it most likely is the devices you are connecting to that are flagged. Please submit the form for any other IDs you get the error from here.

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards, Yuri

Highlighted
Posted by LorenzenRobert
Henagon

After Updating To 14.6.2452 "insider" build every time I connect I get a non-personal use warning

My Setup

I have a personal (non-commercial) license key for Teamviewer and before my laptop and desktop upgraded to 14.6.2452 I never had any complaints about my usage being 'non-commercial' and it gives me a warning that the connection will be terminated in a few minutes. 

Problem

I have had it connected for about 15 minutes before since this started to happen and it has never disconnected early on me so I am not sure if this is just a bug it isn't actually triggering the functions that would disconnect my connections or what exactly is going on but I wanted to report it so that it could be addressed at some point. I am not doing anything, in particular, to set it off, and I am using Teamviewer in the same way that I always have so I do not think a change in behavior is the cause either.

Please let me know! 

Posted by sstyle
Electron

I do not use TW for commercial and sessions shorter than 5min

I do not use TW for commercial and sessions shorter than 5min. Only 30sec or less.

Posted by alextprice
Henagon

Re: Commercial use suspected using Chrome Browser Extension

Hi Yuri and thank you for yoru reply!

When I first encounted this issue I tried the exact solution you outlined. I submitted the ID of host computer and recieved an email about a week later informing me that it had been placed on the clear list for personal use. This course of action did not fix the issue with commercial use being suspected when I used the chrome browser extnesion to control that host computer.

Additionally, if I use other devices to control that computer, I have no issues. This leads me to believe that it is an issue with the chrome browser extension.

If I could find the ID associated with my Chrome Browser Extension I would submit it using the form you suggested, but I have yet to be able to find it. Does it exist?

For more detail, the host computer is a Mac Mini running the latest version of MacOS and the controlling computer is running windows 10 and utilizing the chrome browser extension to gain access to the host.

Thanks in advance!

 

Posted by Whitedavidp
Digon

Yet Another Commercial Use False-Positive

I hope that someone from TV can help me here. I have already completed the commercial use form online and have completed, signed, and emailed the document titled "declaration of private use". But after many weeks, the problem remains and I have heard nothing back at all.

I support several computers that are my own and those of friends and family. There is no commercial use and never has been any. Out of all these computers, right now only one seems to be having a problem. It is an Android media center box that is used for streaming media and for running my home automation system. None of the other computers on my list seem to have any problems.

Is there some way to find out what might be triggering this false-positive and doing something about it?

Thanks!

Posted by jojker
Henagon

Can't get response from commercial-use form

It has been about two months (6-7 weeks) since I submitted an "explanation for use" in the commercial use form. I have received NO REPLY. Nothing what so ever. Please share your experiences and help me try to figure out how to get TV to respond in a timely manner.

How long did they take to respond to you?

What explanation did you give?

Did they approve it?

Do you have pointers for making a submission that gets a response? 

 

I'm a graduate student. My school computer is blocked. I mistakenly sent in a form for my home computer and was approved immediately. I sent the request for my school computer with the same explanation and have heard nothing. Graduate students are students and Washington University in St. Louis is adamant that we are not doing work for money. Currently, we are NOT employees, NOT unionized or able to own our work. This is severely hampering my productivity. 

It's pretty clear that doing research projects as a student is a non-commercial use. 

Full story:

About two months ago my ability to sign into to my school computer from home was blocked as "commercial use". Because I was not aware of the source of the trouble I submitted a commercial-use form explanation for my home desktop ID. My home computer was immediately re-assigned as non-commercial. I was still blocked because TV was blocking my school computer. I submitted a different request for each computer because I was/am confused about how TV distinguishes the services to block. 

 

 

Posted by AlexandarP
Electron

Re: Can't get response from commercial-use form

I have the same problem. Only I use my personal phone to connect to my pc for things such as personal documents and remote shut down. I use the service rarely and ever so often I assist my friends with their pc troubles. I especially needed the service today and my connection kept getting blocked.  At some point I got flagged for no clear reason and after two tries and three weeks, I still have yet to get a reply. I might as well create a new account if they dont reply soon. If you get any updates that would be helpful, im curious to know their reasoning behind all the flagging.

Best of luck. 

-A


@jojker wrote:

It has been about two months (6-7 weeks) since I submitted an "explanation for use" in the commercial use form. I have received NO REPLY. Nothing what so ever. Please share your experiences and help me try to figure out how to get TV to respond in a timely manner.

How long did they take to respond to you?

What explanation did you give?

Did they approve it?

Do you have pointers for making a submission that gets a response? 

 

I'm a graduate student. My school computer is blocked. I mistakenly sent in a form for my home computer and was approved immediately. I sent the request for my school computer with the same explanation and have heard nothing. Graduate students are students and Washington University in St. Louis is adamant that we are not doing work for money. Currently, we are NOT employees, NOT unionized or able to own our work. This is severely hampering my productivity. 

It's pretty clear that doing research projects as a student is a non-commercial use. 

Full story:

About two months ago my ability to sign into to my school computer from home was blocked as "commercial use". Because I was not aware of the source of the trouble I submitted a commercial-use form explanation for my home desktop ID. My home computer was immediately re-assigned as non-commercial. I was still blocked because TV was blocking my school computer. I submitted a different request for each computer because I was/am confused about how TV distinguishes the services to block. 

 

 



 

Posted by Steve-in-FL
Trigon

Re: Can't get response from commercial-use form


@jojker wrote:

It has been about two months (6-7 weeks) since I submitted an "explanation for use" in the commercial use form. I have received NO REPLY. Nothing what so ever. Please share your experiences and help me try to figure out how to get TV to respond in a timely manner.

How long did they take to respond to you?

What explanation did you give?

Did they approve it?

Do you have pointers for making a submission that gets a response? 

 I filled in the online form for each of my 13 IDs. They unblocked 12 of those IDs within a few days. The 13th was still blocked. I filled in  the online form again with no results. Then I received an email asking me to fill in the "declaration of private use" form. I did so and listed the 13th ID (even though the form doesn't ask for the ID at all). That 13th ID was unblocked within 24 hours.

You ask for pointers, but all I can tell you is what I did. I submitted an online form for each ID I have and on the form listed all of the other IDs, so everything could be cross-referenced, if necessary. I showed the name assigned to each of the IDs. For each ID that "looked" commercial, for example DATASERVER, I explained that it was used only in my home and for a specific, non-commercial purpose. When they asked for the "declaration of private use" form, I also listed the ID and the name assigned. That's it.

All I can say is that it worked for me. But I know that the system is unclear, appears to be arbitrary and is inconsistent. I know that the trigger is not only the IP address, since the ID that originally did not get reset was one of seven in my house, so they all shared the same WAN IP address.

Other people have not been so lucky, with no action of any kind in response to their forms. Can't say why.

TeamViewer has said that school IP addresses are considered commercial. The people caught in that situation can yell all they want on this forum, but that's the rule, as crazy as it appears. And there does not appear to be any way to make that appeal. TeamViewer must have some reason for it, even though it is not apparent.

I consider the unblocking a response, so I was not unhappy that they didn't write me an email when they did that. It's not good public relations, but my concern was unblocking - I consider that the important part of the response. In fact, the only email I did receive, was the one that said I needed to fill in the Declaration of Private Use. The responce I got for that one was, again, unblocking, but no email.

Good luck.

Posted by Bankfodder
Trigon

Commercial use – blocked only one way

I have a number of devices all on the same account – same email and password – and I don't have any problem with commercial use. Teamviewer has accepted that my use them all privately.

I can use my desktop PC at home for connecting outwards to help my family and two or three old people that I support – but when I want to access my own PC from one of my devices if I am away somewhere – or even if I am in my own sitting room! - then I get a message saying commercial use suspected and I am given five minutes – if I'm lucky.

I find this pretty amazing that my phone, my laptop, two tablets – can all teamviewer in or out to anyone except to my own home PC. I find it amazing that I can use my own home PC to teamviewer out to people but as soon as I try to teamviewer into my home PC I get blocked.

I have contacted teamviewer about this several times over the past few months and I have had no reply – except two weeks ago I received a form to fill in to confirm that I was a private use – and after that I had nothing further.

I'm nearly 70. I'm a retired teacher. I live on a pension. I don't make money out of computers – and I never have done. I don't make money out of teamviewer.

All I'm asking is that somebody in the teamviewer team finally makes contact and hopefully straightens out this rather illogical situation. – Teamviewer out – yes. Teamviewer in – no.

Thanks

Posted by jojker
Henagon

Re: Can't get response from commercial-use form

Let us know if setting up a new account works (since the IP address doesn't change). I'm trying an alternative I had overlooked. TV is still easier to use but we'll see.

@AlexandarP 


@AlexandarP wrote:

I have the same problem. Only I use my personal phone to connect to my pc for things such as personal documents and remote shut down. I use the service rarely and ever so often I assist my friends with their pc troubles. I especially needed the service today and my connection kept getting blocked.  At some point I got flagged for no clear reason and after two tries and three weeks, I still have yet to get a reply. I might as well create a new account if they dont reply soon. If you get any updates that would be helpful, im curious to know their reasoning behind all the flagging.

Best of luck. 

-A



 

Posted by musicreporter
Trigon

Re: Can't get response from commercial-use form

Uninstalling and reinstalling with new acct will make no difference. 

Apparently TV records your PC's IP address,.....so the problem remains the same.

unless someone fiound a work around?!

Posted by Bankfodder
Trigon

Re: Can't get response from commercial-use form


@jojker wrote:

Let us know if setting up a new account works (since the IP address doesn't change). I'm trying an alternative I had overlooked. TV is still easier to use but we'll see.

@AlexandarP 


@AlexandarP wrote:

I have the same problem. Only I use my personal phone to connect to my pc for things such as personal documents and remote shut down. I use the service rarely and ever so often I assist my friends with their pc troubles. I especially needed the service today and my connection kept getting blocked.  At some point I got flagged for no clear reason and after two tries and three weeks, I still have yet to get a reply. I might as well create a new account if they dont reply soon. If you get any updates that would be helpful, im curious to know their reasoning behind all the flagging.

Best of luck. 

-A



 


Well the reason behind all the flagging is pretty clear – that it's their software and they want to make money from it and that people are abusing it. All that is fair enough.

What is frustrating is that the whole business seems to be so disorganised and inconsistent and also they appear to have put a system in place to deal with people who are wrongly identified as commercial users – but the system is not operating very well.

I don't think anyone can have any problem with teamviewer running their business and the way they want – but it's a shame that they can't get a proper system up and running. For instance, as I have pointed out, some of my devices are not blocked and one of my devices is blocked but only for incoming teamviewer connections. Outgoing teamviewer connections doesn't seem to cause any problems. This is quite amazing

Posted by Steve-in-FL
Trigon

Re: Can't get response from commercial-use form


@musicreporter wrote:

Uninstalling and reinstalling with new acct will make no difference. 

Apparently TV records your PC's IP address,.....so the problem remains the same.


So, what I have gathered so far is this: as mentioned by others, reinstalling will not change anything. Each machine is uniquely identified by TeamViewer and issued a unique TeamViewer ID. The PC’s IP address is not static over time. IP addresses are re-issued periodically by the router and a given IP address is not guaranteed to remain the same (although it often is). My suspicion is that TeamViewer uses some other unique identifier that ties to your machine and only your machine, something like the machine's MAC address, which is static over the life of the hardware..

@Bankfodder

You are the only person to have mentioned a directional issue. What I can suggest is that you test all pairs of your IDs. If you can connect from ABC in your home to DEF outside your home, you should be able to connect in the other direction. Try the combinations and see if there is always a single ID that seems to fail. For me, the single failing ID was consistent and no matter what other IDs I used in combination, the connection failed. When I got that one unblocked, each of my IDs worked with all of the others. If we can identify a directional issue, that would truly be a new bit of information.

Posted by Bankfodder
Trigon

Re: Can't get response from commercial-use form


@Bankfodder

You are the only person to have mentioned a directional issue. What I can suggest is that you test all pairs of your IDs. If you can connect from ABC in your home to DEF outside your home, you should be able to connect in the other direction. Try the combinations and see if there is always a single ID that seems to fail. For me, the single failing ID was consistent and no matter what other IDs I used in combination, the connection failed. When I got that one unblocked, each of my IDs worked with all of the others. If we can identify a directional issue, that would truly be a new bit of information.


Thanks for this reply – and the suggestions.

I just checked it again and I can confirm that I can teamviewer out to any machine using my PC but if I want to teamviewer into the PC then it is restricted.

It is restricted from a Samsung S9 phone
It is restricted from a Google Pixel C tablet

strangely though I just tried installing teamviewer on a Google Slate and using my own account I was able to teamviewer into my PC.

There is definitely a directional issue here. It's very strange. And clearly it's not consistent because using my own account on the Google Slate, I can teamviewer into the PC. On the other two devices, I get a commercial warning and about five minutes of use.

I find myself wondering how long it will be before they block access from the Google Slate – or even worse, block access in both directions.

 

Posted by jbliddle
Henagon

Got an email saying that my license was reset to free but still getting popup saying I'm using commercially

A couple of weeks ago, TeamViewer started giving me a popup stating that I am using the product commercially. I filled in the form and sent it in and received an email on 24 sept. stating:
Dear TeamViewer User,

Thank you for getting in touch with us. We are happy to inform you that your TeamViewer ID has been reset to “free”. After reviewing your request, we decided that your use case can be qualified as “personal”.

I've since been trying daily to log in and I'm still getting the commercial use popup window with login restrictions and faster timeouts. Is there something additional that I need to do to get my TeamViewer back to what it was before?

Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

Posted by jelabarre59
Trigon

Re: TeamViewer thinks I’m using the software commercially!

Same thing here.  The "Commercial Use Suspected" form is BROKEN.  I wouldn't put it past the TeamViewer folks to have broken it intentionally.

Posted by jelabarre59
Trigon

Re: How to unblock id suspected for commercial use


@tjhall1000 wrote:

honestly. while this issue has been happening.... i downloaded **Third Party Product** cuz i needed to watch my anime while not at home. cuz thats the only reason i use TV is to watch anime on my computer while im not home. 

[removed per Community Guidelines - Sales/Solicitation policy]

im sad i never knew about chromes version


What, you mean someone actually got the **Third Party Product** to work????   It's been BROKEN for the years I've tried to get it to work.

All this would be so much easier if I could get all the family members to switch to Linux.  All I need to do then is SSH into their systems.

 

Posted by tjhall1000
Digon

Re: How to unblock id suspected for commercial use

i dont know what you mean by broken. it was just plug and play for me, installed on browser. installed on phone. logged in on both and BAM it was good to go. no issues. havent noticed a single thing wrong with it. its response time is amazing

if something if broken about it. then its user error and you did something wrong lol

Posted by jelabarre59
Trigon

Re: How to unblock id suspected for commercial use

Considering I've tried it on multiple machines, multiple OS'es over a period of 2 or 3 years, and these being machines at different locations (different ISPs), I can only presume it's Google's standard brokenness that permeates their products from search on downwards.

I'd just use some VNC configuration if I were able to set up forwarding on everybody's routers (and I'd have to have some self-updating DDNS as well, so I would know what IP they were hanging out at).  Time to start looking at those possibilities again.

Posted by Steve-in-FL
Trigon

Re: Can't get response from commercial-use form


@Bankfodder wrote:

I just checked it again and I can confirm that I can teamviewer out to any machine using my PC but if I want to teamviewer into the PC then it is restricted.

strangely though I just tried installing teamviewer on a Google Slate and using my own account I was able to teamviewer into my PC.

There is definitely a directional issue here. It's very strange. And clearly it's not consistent because using my own account on the Google Slate, I can teamviewer into the PC. On the other two devices, I get a commercial warning and about five minutes of use.


So, let me ask a question, because something you are saying is striking me. You say when you use "my own account" you can successfully TeamViewer into your PC. When you are not using your own account, what are you using? There may be a commercial connection of some sort to those other IDs. Or... perhaps doing a TeamViewer session between two different accounts is inspected some other way. Maybe a private TV account outbound is OK, but a non-private (for whatever reason) account inbound is not OK. Just throwing things out there for consideration. It would be an interesting test if you used your account on one of the machines that is failing going into your home PC. 

All of my experience is using my one (and only) TeamViewer account for all the instances of TeamViewer that I have installed, both on my personal machines at home and on the machines of friends and family.

Posted by DanLester
Trigon

Re: Can't get response from commercial-use form

Well, so as of a month ago, I got the dreaded "commercial use detected" message, and my account was disabled. Ptoooee.

As of two weeks ago, I downloaded their "Declaration of Private Use" form, in which I assured them that I was ONLY going to use my TeamViewer for private use, and sent it in. Didn't hear anything. Just today, two weeks later, I decided, on a lark, to try it. All capabilities are restored. So they accepted my "Declaration of Private Use" form, restored my service, and didn't tell me. Thanks, TeamViewer! So if you send in that form, don't expect an answer.

In the meantime, I've set up alternative applications (which they won't let me quote here), so I consider TeamViewer now to be sort of a sidelight. Yawn.

Posted by Closed account
Not applicable

Re: Can't get response from commercial-use form

Thanks for the information! I honestly didn't expect any better from Teamviewer, they seem to have horrendeous support. Which alternatives are you using? Teamviewer is no longer reliable.

Posted by DanLester
Trigon

Re: Can't get response from commercial-use form

Unfortunately, the moderators of this forum do not allow anyone to call out TeamViewer alternatives. Just Google "TeamViewer alternatives" and you'll come up with a lot that are free. (Gosh, I hope I'm allowed to say that!) Most are functionally equivalent to TV in screen sharing, though TV is somewhat more capable in file sharing, and has a more robust user interface.

Posted by Bankfodder
Trigon

Re: Can't get response from commercial-use form


@Steve-in-FL wrote:

@Bankfodder wrote:

I just checked it again and I can confirm that I can teamviewer out to any machine using my PC but if I want to teamviewer into the PC then it is restricted.

strangely though I just tried installing teamviewer on a Google Slate and using my own account I was able to teamviewer into my PC.

There is definitely a directional issue here. It's very strange. And clearly it's not consistent because using my own account on the Google Slate, I can teamviewer into the PC. On the other two devices, I get a commercial warning and about five minutes of use.


So, let me ask a question, because something you are saying is striking me. You say when you use "my own account" you can successfully TeamViewer into your PC. When you are not using your own account, what are you using? There may be a commercial connection of some sort to those other IDs. Or... perhaps doing a TeamViewer session between two different accounts is inspected some other way. Maybe a private TV account outbound is OK, but a non-private (for whatever reason) account inbound is not OK. Just throwing things out there for consideration. It would be an interesting test if you used your account on one of the machines that is failing going into your home PC. 

All of my experience is using my one (and only) TeamViewer account for all the instances of TeamViewer that I have installed, both on my personal machines at home and on the machines of friends and family.


I only use one account. I use the same account for all my devices and that brings me to another puzzle. In the past, I have been blocked (each way) on some devices and not others. I've always thought that it was a bit strange that the teamviewer system which they have put in place to detect commercial use seems only to base its decision upon device serial numbers and not the user account.
I find this very strange because it means that somebody who is using teamviewer commercially might actually escape being blocked by using on different devices.

 

By the way, the couple of years ago I did open a second account to see if that was able to bypass the blocking but of course because the blocking appears to be based upon the device serial number, the device remained blocked. I have since cancelled that account.

I don't really see any point in playing fast and loose with teamviewer. It's their software and there are entitled to run it as they wish. I'm very grateful to have some free access to it but I wish they would sort their systems out.

They could give:
better support
better communication
Better response times
transparency
generally, a better system which takes into account people's accounts as well as device numbers

Posted by User333717
Henagon

Re: Looks like Teamviewer no longer cares!

INTERNAL SCREAMING!

I have no idea how to convey this to anyone since the DICTATORS! are changing my response.... IT'S CALLED FREE SPEECH! IF YOU DON'T WANT PEOPLE TALKING ABOUT OTHER PRODUCTS THEN FIX YOURS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AM I SCREAMING LOUD ENOUGH FOR YOU TEAMVIEWER!!!!!

If your like me and don't want to use this stupid product anymore then you will have to do a google search for another remote access tool. [removed per Community Guidelines]

Posted by Johnhoward28
Trigon

Re: Looks like Teamviewer no longer cares!

@User333717 

Calm down.  I know it is frustrating, but like or not, you have to follow the rules.  Don't turn this into a war on TV.  They are a private company offering professional services for free to personal users.  

Posted by DanLester
Trigon

Re: Looks like Teamviewer no longer cares!

I agree. TeamViewer is offering users value as a free service. That being said, the value is minimized if users have to jump through hoops to use it. Years ago, TeamViewer used to be the definitive free app for controlling remote machines. Not so anymore.

Posted by jelabarre59
Trigon

Re: Can't get response from commercial-use form


@DanLester wrote:

Most are functionally equivalent to TV in screen sharing, though TV is somewhat more capable in file sharing, and has a more robust user interface.


Sometimes that's all you need anyway.  I know for my purposes I just need to connect to a family member's machine to troubleshoot something (or to a machine in the other room I'm doing a test installation on).  I don't need to chat through the application, I don't need to conference in other people, and can in some cases use WinSCP to do file transfers to/from my home machine.  Biggest issue comes about from knowing the remote machine's address, and tunneling through without having to open more holes in a firewall/router.

Posted by rkotkas
Henagon

False positive on commercial use

Hello

I have a problem with my Teamviewer account: I´m being kicked out of the system claiming to be using the program commercialy. That is not true, I´m using Teamviewer for personal use only, devices connected are:

My laptop.
My wife grandfather´s laptop.
My grandfathers laptop.

I am using Teamviewer to help our grandparents with their computer questions.

Can you convert my account back to normal state as I am unable to provide any assistance to them while being kicked out?