Teamviewer 7 automatic upgrade to Teamviewer 9 ?

BadAnimal
BadAnimal Posts: 12 ✭✭
edited May 2023 in General questions

Wait, what?!  I have 100+ users, will they all get their Teamviewer 7s automatically updated? Why am I just getting this notice 33 days before the event?! And over the holidays? 

"Therefore, we are happy to inform you that we will move our user base altogether to a modern architecture with a free and automatic license upgrade of versions 5-7 to TeamViewer 9, so all our customers benefit from recent improvements and security updates.

Your version will be upgraded automatically in the coming days via our auto-update feature. Otherwise, we kindly ask you to download and install TeamViewer 9 manually until January 15, 2020 as your current version will not work any longer with our server infrastructure from that day on." 

Tagged:

Comments

• Esther
    Esther Posts: 4,052 Former Community Manager

Hi @BadAnimal 

Thanks for your post and your questions.

It is our top priority to ensure the best possible service and security for the connectivity solutions our users trust in. As it is technically not possible to continue the support of version 7 and below with the service quality that is expected from our customers, the versions will be deprecated.

Regarding the auto-update: It depends on the type of client your 100+ users are using: Do they have a full version, Host or QuickSupport? 

If they have the full version or Host module, the will receive an automatical update within the next days, if auto-updates are enabled e.g. with "within this minor major version" in the TeamViewer options under (Extras --> Options --> Advanced --> Install new versions automatically).

If they have a QuickSupport, you are now benefitting from the QuickSupport modules created and maintained via the Management Console. The page you used formerly to create the modules has been replaced by a centralized customization center in the management console. From there, you can tailor your module, without having to care about different operating systems or updates as this is done automatically for you. You can simply send your users your personalized link to get your new QuickSupport module.

Best, Esther  

Former Community Manager

• BadAnimal

Thanks for the reply Esther.

My users use Host. "within the next days, if auto-updates are enabled e.g. with "within this minor version"" There is no minor version option to select, everyone has within this major version selected. 

And within the next days? That is too vague! When exactly will y'all begin upgrading?

Can you please post a link for what my users should be downloading?

And can you please post a link to what I should download in order to remote into my users?

Thank you,

Marc

• Esther

Hi @BadAnimal 

You are totally right and I apologize! Of course, it is a major version and not minor. I edited my initial reply above already.

Here is a link for downloading TeamViewer 8 and 9 directly/manually:

Download TeamViewer 8 and 9

We will activate the auto-update in the next week. I am sorry that I can not tell you the exact day as of now.

To start a connection, you need to download the Full Version and your users can have the full version, the host module or the Quick Support module.

Thanks and best,

Esther

Former Community Manager

• BadAnimal

Thank you for the quick reply! 

If I upgrade my version now to Teamviewer 9 Full version, I assume my license will come with me?

What happens if I am using Teamviewer 9 and I try to remote into my user that is using Teamviewer 7? Does the software upgrade them?

Thank you,

Marc

• JeanK
    JeanK Posts: 6,984 Community Manager 🌍

Exactly - you only need to update your client to the version 9 - we do the rest in the background. There is no additional action needed on your side.

Once we will fully sunset version 7, this means removing the version from our server infrastructure, connections to users using version 7 won't be working anymore.

The user will also need to upgrade to version 8 or 9.

Cheers,

Jean

Community Manager

• BadAnimal

Hi again, I started this position back summer of 2013 and the instructions for installing the host on my user's computers included the host file and a registry file. I was never told what the registry file did, I just assumed it had something to do with our licensing.

So, on new computers, do I just run the Teamviewer 9 Host file and don't worry about that registry file. Or do I still run that registry file?

• BadAnimal

hey Esther, can you give me a list of command-line options for the installer (like –silent, etc) for Teamviewer 9 Host?

Thank you!

• BadAnimal

Esther, looking for a Teamviewer 9 Host MSI file, does one exist?

• JeanK

Hello @BadAnimal

You will be able to download the MSI package matching to your license in your Management Console, under Design & deploy as below:

Clipboard.pngBest,

Jean

Community Manager

• BadAnimal

Hi, I think my problem is that it says "Free" in my account, how can I add my license number?!

Thank you!

• BadAnimal

OK, I figured out how to add my license! And now it says Premium instead of free.

I still don't see what you are seeing though, HELP PLEASE!!

• BadAnimal

All I see is "Add Custom Module", I don't see "Download Installer".

• Yuri_T
    Yuri_T Posts: 2,256 [Former Staff]

Hi @BadAnimal ,

The MSI package is only for corporate license clients.
    Therefore please check what type of licenses you have purchased.

If you have a corporate, please try to download MSI package from this article.

Hope this will be helpful.
    All the best, 
    Yuri

Former Japanese Community Moderator
  • Esther

Hi @BadAnimal 

Thanks for your questions.

For TeamViewer 9 there are no command-line arguments available. 

The MSI can be downloaded from the Design & Deploy page as shown in @JeanK  screenshot above, but only if a Corporate license is attached to the TeamViewer account. A Premium license does not have the option of using the MSI.

The reg file can hold all sorts of settings like licenses, passwords and other settings you know from the TeamViewer options.

If you want you can contact the TeamViewer Support through our ticket portal and they can help you having a look at your reg file to tell you what's in it.

I hope this info helps you :-)

Best, Esther

Former Community Manager

• Esther

Hi Marc,

I have been informed that the auto-update has already been enabled.

Thanks and best,

Esther

Former Community Manager

• Hello,

I've just received the following email stating that my V7 licence will be updated to V9.

It is our top priority to ensure the best possible service quality and security for the connectivity solutions our users trust in. Therefore, we are happy to inform you that we will move our user base altogether to a modern architecture with a free and automatic license upgrade of versions 5-7 to TeamViewer 9, so all our customers benefit from recent improvements and security updates.

Your version will be upgraded automatically in the coming days via our auto-update feature. Otherwise, we kindly ask you to download and install TeamViewer 9 manually until January 15, 2020 as your current version will not work any longer with our server infrastructure from that day on.

I have some questions related to the upgrade:

1. Will my TV7 clients be updated automatically?
    2. Will TV 9 connect to not updated V7 clients?
    3. Can TV 11 and onward connect with TV9?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Les

• JeanK

Hello @leswre

Thank you for your questions.

Will my TV 7 clients be updated automatically?

Spoiler
    If on your TeamViewer 7 clients you enabled the auto-update within this major version, the latest available version of TeamViewer 9 will be automatically installed in the coming days on your devices.
    If the auto-update is not enabled, you will see an update button within your client, represented by a white download arrow, like this: Greenshot Éditeur d'Image.png

Please click on the button and then on Version 7.0.62195. The client will be updated to version 9, even though it's written version 7. Packages are also available in our Knowledge Base article here: Download TeamViewer 8 and 9.

Will TV 9 connect to not updated V 7 clients?

Spoiler
    We will completely stop the service of version 7 on our infrastructure - Therefore, connecting to devices that still run version 7 won't be possible.

Can TV 11 and onward connect with TV 9?

Spoiler
    Yes, with TeamViewer version 11 and onward you can connect to TeamViewer version 9. However, TeamViewer version 9 cannot connect to TeamViewer version 11.

I hope this could help. Let us know if you have more questions coming up. ?

Cheers,

Jean

Community Manager

• IT-O
    IT-O Posts: 1

Hi,

why version 8 was omitted with upgrade program.

Now I have realy big problem.

I have lot of clients whith installed vesion 7 when I have licence for version 8 (other company that support my clients have licence for version 7).

Now after auto upgrade they can connect to this hosts but I can't.

If You make sucha upgrade it shoulden't ommit version. Auto upgrade should be to version 8!!!

How I'm suppose to reinstall almost 100 clients that are oll over the country?

And another problem....
    I've just made fresh install of version 7 whitch upgraded almost imedietly to version 9.
    I can't connect from version 8 because client is newer version and I can't connect from version 9 because client is out of date!!!!
    Hov it is possible?

• Hello,

We`ve got problem with licence.
    Running on Corporate version 7 for 15 channels.
    Free upgrade to version 9 went fine, but our licencje turn out to be „free now” and becouse of that we can`t connect nowhere… we also can`t activate TV9 with out license key...
    please help.

Regards
    Mateusz

• computerchip
    computerchip Posts: 3 ✭✭

The module that is created reports that it is a newer version than 9 and asks me If I want to upgrade

• BadAnimal

As I suspected, none of my users have been upgraded to Teamviewer 9.

I am NOT HAPPY with your company!! 

I can't imagine how upset I will be when 7 stops working.

We paid alot of money for 7 too.

• Esther

Hi @BadAnimal 

Thanks for your post.

Is the auto-update within this major version enabled on the devices which have not been updated automatically to TeamViewer 9?

Please feel also free to give our support team a call to get direct assistance to avoid any issues. 

Thanks and best,

Esther

Former Community Manager

• Esther

Hi @computerchip 

Thanks for your post.

I am forwarding this feedback internally, but please do not update your module to a higher version than your license. An upgrade to a higher version than TeamViewer 9 while having a license for TeamViewer 9 would cause that you won´t be able to connect to these modules.

Thanks and best,

Esther

Former Community Manager

• BadAnimal

"Is the auto-update within this major version enabled on the devices which have not been updated automatically to TeamViewer 9?"

Yes.

• Esther

Hi @BadAnimal 

I forwarded the information internally got the feedback from our support that they need to make an analysis, as we did not have a similar reported issue so far. Would you be willing to help us identify the issue on these devices by sending the support collector for some of the affected machines to our support team? (After that please send me your ticket ID in a direct message)

Instructions about the support collector and next steps are described here:  Support Collector 

Thanks and sorry for the hassle,

Esther

Former Community Manager

• computerchip

The problem is that the design and deploy creates a newer version of the quick support software that will not work with V9.    I have downloaded the QS V( and it works fine but I am unable to add customization

• Esther

Hi @computerchip 

Is your license linked to the account you are using in the Management Console? After you activated the license on your account, the Management Console (Design & Deploy) will recognize the license and provide you with the correct version.

I hope this info helps you.

Best, Esther

Former Community Manager

• computerchip

OK, activated license online and it is generating the correct version. Thank you.

• BadAnimal

Hi Esther, yes, I would be happy to do that.

Ticket ID?

• Hi Esther.

My Teamviewer 7 licence have no expire date, but after upgrade to 9 version i se that in about menu have expire 01.01.2023 ?