Teamviewer client tab "Getting Started"?

klepp0906
klepp0906 Posts: 16 ✭✭

So this tab is present on one pc, and not present on the other.

I'd love to make it, not present period.   I went through and checked all the boxes in the tab so to speak - yet it persists.   

If its removable how can i do so?  If its not, how or why is it not present on my other pc? 

Tagged:

Comments

• Vatsilidis
    Vatsilidis Posts: 655 ⭐Star⭐

Hi @klepp0906 

If you are using a free version I strongly recommend you update to the latest one.

In another case, I would recommend you please, to completely uninstall the app from this pc following the way described here in this post, (also click to remove rettings) then reboot it and install a freshly downloaded version again? 

I hope this will give a solution to the issue you are facing.

Best regards

• klepp0906

Thank you for your reply.  I did what you suggested.  The problem persists.

Something must be left behind as even after uninstalling, purging those registry entries, restarting my pc, and logging back in.   Not only is one of my pc's simply missing the "get started tab" while the others are not... 

but they have my personal/full name in the header, without me even signing in yet.

Is there another place that holds remnants?

I'm on the newest version.

Does that tab eventually disappear on its own? 

• Vatsilidis
    Vatsilidis Posts: 655 ⭐Star⭐

well, in this way it seems to be something in the computer settings.

I have some tricks to try and see if some of them will work as must be.

1)

If during installation it lets you to select the path of the installation folder (like "C:\Programmsx86\Teamviewer"), then type a different folder (like "C:\Programmsx86\SecondTeamviewer") in order to avoid something that could don't removed from there or some registry reference to his folder. Of course, you have to follow first the steps described in my previous post (full uninstall and reboot).

2)

Run from the start menu the command line (right-click > run as administrator) and execute the command in the black windows terminal sfc /scannow. This will take a couple of minutes because will search and restore the basic system files (system file checker). Maybe some system file has been corrupted.

3)

Try to add a new user (from control panel), with Administrator rights, again full uninstall, reboot, login with the new user account and install the app from there.

4)

Try to restore Windows in a previously saved restore point (from the start menu, type "restore" or from the control panel). Usually, this process gives the solution to many strange Windows issues.

5)

It is an emergency, you can install a Linux OS to a USB stick (portable Linux) and boot your computer by this stick, install there TeamViewer app and run it. To make this there are many tutorials and videos on the web and is a free license operating system.

6)

Install Windows in a second disk in your computer (if you don't want to change the current installation) and begin from there the same procedure.

I tried to write the steps with the easy, less try and fewer changes at the first steps, and the "hardest" ways to the last steps.

I hope some of them to gives a solution to your issue

Best regards

• klepp0906

Ok, ive gone through your list as far down as im willing (to the restore point).

Still nobody has answered how teamviewer is identifying me before I even sign in, after the entire install is purged both via programfiles/programdata/appdata and via registry?  I imagine this may be the crux of the issue.   I think it might be something from their cloud server identifying that particular pc in such a way that the tab isnt there.  That being said, i've also untrusted the machine and re-added and yet the discrepancy remains.

Also nobody has indicated if the tab SHOULD be there, or if its meant to disappear after some arbitrary amount of time?

If it does in fact disappear, then this is much less of an issue. 

Either way, i just purged teamviewer from all 3 pc's.   again 2 are showing getting started tab, one is not.   

• klepp0906

still nobody eh?  Does no one else gett his tab, or does it just disappear inconsequentially/immediately for everyone BUT me?

I ended up rolling back another pc due to some other unrelated issue, and poof - the tab disappeared from that one too.   Excellent!  

Now i have 2 pc's without the tab (which is the preferred, and i assume intended behavior) and 1 that I cannot remove it on, no matter what I do.  

I have reinstalled over a dozen times, purging between each.   

Can someone please explain to me why this tab is persisting?  Perhaps point me to a registry string that invokes it so I can disable it on my own?   Please!  Begging!

• klepp0906

Well, in my attempts to get rid of the intrusive advertisement that pops up when you shutdown teamviewer in your tray - i came across something that may be of relevance.

in %localappdata%\Temp\TeamViewer exists a file called TeamViewer11_Exit.hta

This is the file that plays that obnoxious popup.

If i delete it on a pc that is missing the "getting started" window, aka functioning correctly; it re-creates itself.

If i delete it on the pc that has the perpetual and unrelenting "getting started" window, aka functioning incorrectly, it does not recreate itself nor do i see the popup upon closure.

So for some reason theres a breakdown between teamviewer and at-least that folder.  I checked permissions for the folder and theyre identical between the offending pc, and non-offending pc's so I dont know where else to go with it at this point.

If its not related, its yet another quirk/issue but I feel like its related.

• klepp0906

unrelated.   the temp folder needed to be completely cleared out and everything returned to normal as far as that goes. 

I did notice that when i first start teamviewer, the getting started tab is NOT there until it starts up completely and it autologs me in.  at that point it refreshes/flashes and Poof adds the getting started tab.  Argh.

like its something tied to the account coming from the teamviewer servers but only to one specific workstation.

• klepp0906

So teamviewer seems to be saving personal identifying information eh?

Kinda rhetorical as its obvious they are.   

I figured one last stab to regain parity amongst my clients by purging them entirely and just wasted a TON of time.

We all know free users cant hope for much support around here - so hoping someone that can affirm my theory, or god forbid had and solved the same issue will come across this. 

I uninstalled the client from all pc's.  I removed every bit of teamviewer data on all 3 pcs.  All file locations (appdata\programdata\programfiles) etc.   All registry entries (lots of locations).  It was gone.  Like it was never there.

I removed all locations from my account on the teamviewer console.  I removed all trusted devices.   I cleared browser cookies entirely.

I then began the reinstall process.   Brand new fresh client, nothing configured, no login.  I get the blue banner that says "Free license (non-commercial use only) - My Name.

How does teamviewer know my name?  Know that its my PC?  theres no link apart from perhaps my external IP or I guess mac address?   So i presume teamviewer is saving these?  Even my ID's were unchanged and present.

Next, I reinstall on one of the problem pc's (whos client does not have parity).   Again - barebones like it was never there.

Same result as far as the banner goes of course, and same result as far as a tab discrepancy.  Main workstation perpetually retains the getting started tab again.   Second and third workstations do not have it.  Even on fresh install.  This means something is screwed up and its coming from teamviewers servers in the cloud relative to the retention of my account information.

AKA it will probably never be fixed and i get to live with it.

I surmise that if i deleted my teamviewer account and started a fresh one id be able to address it.  However at this point I have no idea how teamviewer is handling information and I'm not willing to lose my username or be unable to access my email to some kinda "email address taken or username taken" that crops up due to teamviewer just holding onto data. 

in other news, more time wasted as I could not post a new thread,  some kind of "correct highlighted errors/try again later" kept cropping up.   No highlighted errors existed.  I cleared cookies, tried different browsers.  Same result.

**Third Party Product** is looking better and better.   (LOL nice auto edit - this is my surprised face)

• klepp0906

Ok.  done.

Nice.

deleted my teamviewer account.   re-created.  Funny - teamviewer still knows my name.   Still pegs me with the same ID, and still has the same hot mess with the tabs.

jesus.