Unattended access vs Wake on lan

Options

Ok,I I would like to know what is the difference between unattended access and wake on lan and which one gives you more control if both computers belongs to you. One computer is in New york then the other wine is here with me in Connecticut.

Best Answer

• Katharina
    Katharina Posts: 135 [Former Staff]
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi adoali, 

Thank you for your post! 

Wake-on-LAN and unattended access are actually two very different features that are often used together.

Unattended access will allow you to connect to a computer without having someone on the other end who could give you the ID and random password. If unattended access has been set up, TeamViewer will start with the operating system and therefore be accessible as soon as you start the computer. Moreover, unattended access includes predefining a personal password that will always stay the same (unlike the random password that is displayed in the main window).

Wake-on-LAN, on the other hand, will let you wake up a remote computer from sleep or hibernation mode or start it from shutdown. It would usually not make much sense to use Wake-on-LAN without having set up unattended access as well: Once you have started the remote computer, you will probably want to connect to it. 

To put it in a nutshell: If your remote computer is usually switched on, you can simply use unattended access to connect. If you would need to start/wake up the remote computer first, we would recommend setting up both Wake-on-LAN and unattended access.

You will find the instructions on how to set up Wake-on-LAN in our Knowledge Base:

https://community.teamviewer.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/How-does-Wake-on-LAN-with-TeamViewer-work/ta-p/33

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, feel free to let me know!

All the best,

Katharina

Answers

• Katharina
    Katharina Posts: 135 [Former Staff]
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi adoali, 

Thank you for your post! 

Wake-on-LAN and unattended access are actually two very different features that are often used together.

Unattended access will allow you to connect to a computer without having someone on the other end who could give you the ID and random password. If unattended access has been set up, TeamViewer will start with the operating system and therefore be accessible as soon as you start the computer. Moreover, unattended access includes predefining a personal password that will always stay the same (unlike the random password that is displayed in the main window).

Wake-on-LAN, on the other hand, will let you wake up a remote computer from sleep or hibernation mode or start it from shutdown. It would usually not make much sense to use Wake-on-LAN without having set up unattended access as well: Once you have started the remote computer, you will probably want to connect to it. 

To put it in a nutshell: If your remote computer is usually switched on, you can simply use unattended access to connect. If you would need to start/wake up the remote computer first, we would recommend setting up both Wake-on-LAN and unattended access.

You will find the instructions on how to set up Wake-on-LAN in our Knowledge Base:

https://community.teamviewer.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/How-does-Wake-on-LAN-with-TeamViewer-work/ta-p/33

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, feel free to let me know!

All the best,

Katharina