Updating 11->12, username?

When choosing to update from 11's "Check for new version", TV dowloads the new version. But when installing, it wants my administrative username and password. What's that?

Best Answer

Answers

• krikkew
    krikkew Posts: 2 ✭✭

TNX!

• [ID removed by moderator]

• If I give the username and password prompted in Teamviewer can you now use my password have I compromised my security?

• elmerbug
    elmerbug Posts: 2

All, while this is an answer, perhaps it's a bit incomplete.

• I shouldn't have to be logged in as a local admin.  I should be able to use ".\localadminusername" with the appropriate password.  Why does this not work?
  • Scotty
    Scotty Posts: 493 Staff member 🤠

Hi everyone.

You should be able to just enter the admin credentials.

This is:
    DOMAIN\username
    Password

If you are on a domain, the domain name must be entered with a \

-Scotty

Senior Moderator
    Did my reply answer your question? Why not accept it as a solution to help others?
  • Any software that asks you to enter your windows administrator credentials is suspicious.  Giving any company your windows root/administrator credentials is a security breach in most companies.  Furthermore, many employees in a lot of domains don't have the administrator credentials to their own computers.  In my last company, if we tried to change it, it would change it back as soon as we logged on again.  

What is going on with this?

• Scotty
    Scotty Posts: 493 Staff member 🤠

Hi mogulskier,

Thanks for your post.

This does not happen on most devices.

If installing software is blocked by the policies on the device set by the administrator, TeamViewer cannot install a major update without being given admin rights to run the updater.

This isn't something we are asking for without reason and it is not something we can bypass as it is a setting on the device itself.

The only other way to bypass this would be to uninstall the application and re-install by selecting "Run As Administrator".
    For this, Windows can present you with the dialog itself so that the window does not have the TeamViewer logo.

I hope this answers this for you.

-Scotty-

Senior Moderator
    Did my reply answer your question? Why not accept it as a solution to help others?
  • BPSITAdmin
    BPSITAdmin Posts: 1

This was exactly what I needed, as I was remoting on to a colleague's machine abroad.

FYI, in case it helps someone, we were both connected to our work domain network via VPN.