Windows 10 does not look to start service until logon

Hi I have just upgraded a remote computer to Windows 10 version 1703 OS Build 15063.138

After the upgrade I was unable to view it in my list of available computers. I used TeamViewer to another PC and remote desktop to the upgraded PC, as soon as I logged on it became visible. I then rebooted the upgraded computer and it again disappeared. Next I hopped back onto it and uninstalled TeamViewer and reinstalled. Same outcome. Service is set to auto and is running when I see it, but by then I have logged on to the PC. It looks as if the service is now not triggered until logon.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance

Best Answer

Answers

• Vibes
    Vibes Posts: 10

Just a quick update. I rolled back the windows 10 creators update and all working as normal. I would be interested in hearing if anyone else has this problem. IE the computer has be logged on to allow Teamviewer to connect..

• Vibes

Thanks JedenTag

Looks to be the same problem. If this is correct then the solution of rolling back versions is only temporary as this major Windows 10 will still be forced on us.

Again, if this was not an isolated case of a bad upgrade then Microsoft have altered something that does not allow the dependencies to be met so that the teamviewer service can run on startup. If so I look forward to Teamviewer 13

• Vibes

I have tried this on a second computer, however this time I installed Microsoft KB4013214 prior to the upgrade. Teamviewer works on this device without problem.

For me the solution is not to upgrade to Windows 10 V 1703 without first running KB4013214

• mandfmike
    mandfmike Posts: 18 ✭✭

How do you roll it back?

• mandfmike

This didn't work for me.

• Vibes

Settings>Update and Security.Recovery>Go Back to Previous version of Windows 10

• mandfmike

Thanks but that option is greyed out on my machine..

• Vibes

Hi

My silver bullet in all this is http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-10-media-creation-tool-create-installation-media-upgrade

If you have not used the media creation tool then its fair to say it looks at your windows and runs the very latest version over it. including all the updates.

Also this is good if you have a window 7 or windows 8 pc with inbedded license, it will still upgrade for free.

Never tried it on a remote PC, but fair to say it never failed me doing it locally

• karsten
    karsten Posts: 5

Hi,

I´ve the same problem, but i´ve no chance to rollback or to install the kb4013214 , because i´ve installed with the media creation tool on an a blank hd.
    Additional i can´t reconnect after logout a windows session.

• Vibes

Hi Karsten

As I am also trying to discover the exact problem remotely I am having a little difficulty with access.

My situation is a follows:- Home location, small network with domain controller. Computer on the domain is still not working, laptop stand alone working.

I am trying to narrow this down a bit more, so your input will be of great help.

1/ is your remote pc on a network

2/ if you try to do updates do you get an error

I am just rebuilding a PC that is causing me problems, I will keep it out of the domain and see if I can get it working. Sorry I can't help more

• Maurice
    Maurice Posts: 10 Staff member 🤠

It looks like the Windows 10 update changed some WiFi settings which caused it to not connect until a user is logged in.

If you are using a user + password to connect to your WiFi network, this is how to change it:

1. Open the "Network and Sharing Center"
    2. Click on the label for the wireless network connection (somewhere on the right)
    3. Click on "Wireless Properties"
    4. Open the "Security" tab
    5. Click on "Advanced settings"
    6. On the first tab ("802.1X settings") in the dropdown at the top, switch to "user authentication"
    7. Click on the "save credentials" button
    8. Enter your username + password (for domain users, don't add the "domain\" part, just the username is enough)
    9. Click on Ok and close all dialogues. This should disconnect shortly from the WiFi network and reconnect again.

If the WiFi connection doesn't work after changing the settings, you might have to go to the Wi-Fi settings in Windows 10 -> "Manage known networks" and remove the entry there. I wasn't able to find another way to get to the wireless properties dialog if it was not connected.

Maurice
    Software Developer
  • karsten
    karsten Posts: 5

this is my configuration:

• laptop with a blank HD, Installation win10 1703 with media creation tool
    • domain join, network access both LAN or Wifi
    • teamviewer host 12 with recommended configuration
    • no errrors at updates
    • no reconnect after logout/reboot

second try, same laptop: 

• blank HD, Installation win10 1607 with media creation tool
    • Teamviewer 12 Host with recommended configuration
    • upgrade 1703 with "Windows 10-Upgrade-Assistent
    • network access both LAN or Wifi, no domain join
    • no errrors at updates
    • same problem as above
  • mandfmike

@Maurice wrote:

It looks like the Windows 10 update changed some WiFi settings which caused it to not connect until a user is logged in.

If you are using a user + password to connect to your WiFi network, this is how to change it:

1. Open the "Network and Sharing Center"
    2. Click on the label for the wireless network connection (somewhere on the right)
    3. Click on "Wireless Properties"
    4. Open the "Security" tab
    5. Click on "Advanced settings"
    6. On the first tab ("802.1X settings") in the dropdown at the top, switch to "user authentication"
    7. Click on the "save credentials" button
    8. Enter your username + password (for domain users, don't add the "domain\" part, just the username is enough)
    9. Click on Ok and close all dialogues. This should disconnect shortly from the WiFi network and reconnect again.

If the WiFi connection doesn't work after changing the settings, you might have to go to the Wi-Fi settings in Windows 10 -> "Manage known networks" and remove the entry there. I wasn't able to find another way to get to the wireless properties dialog if it was not connected.

What about LAN connections? I have 5 computers on my domain that won't connect to teamviewer until a user logs in, because I installed Win10 SP 1703. I can RDP the machines, then I'm able to use teamviewer to get in, but I don't want RDP turned on because of the security risk. Thats why I pay for teamviewer. Speaking of teamviewer, they should be trying to resolve this issue. Nothing I have read here worked for me.

• Vibes

Hi Maurice

My configuration as stated before is a Windows 10 PC on a network, hard wired via the LAN port. Once upgraded this is no longer visible after a re boot until local logon.

I have a laptop connected via WIFI onto the same network but not connected to the domain. This works fine without changes to the wireless card

Both units upgraded to latest version of windows.

I am able to connect to the laptop and use remote desktop to log onto the PC, once logged on it is visible to TV12

• Maurice

I wasn't able to reproduce this problem for LAN connections yet. All I can tell from other users is that the TeamViewer service cannot connect while there is no user logged in. As for why that's the case, I don't know. Will investigate further...

Maurice
    Software Developer
  • vabch
    vabch Posts: 1

I have the same situation going on With Windows 10 Creators update and teamviewer . I think the creators update is having problems starting certain programs that are set to automatically start and this is in general(there are two other programs where they could not start the service - Mainstream programs. I fixed by delaying the start on one of them( the other one I still have to try it -not sure if that would work here) . Try this start windows 10 and start teamviewer , then close down machine and try teamviewer. Its not so much the service , but the whole program is not being started to even start the service.This is hardwired,not wireless.  Thanks

• Vibes

I don't think this should just be a "Community" item to look at, this should now be down to the developers.

I am lucky, one PC I did a rollback on, one PC I used the media creation tool and it downgraded the PC to the older version. (I presume this is due to location as previously it was mentioned that the media creation tool was used to make the upgrade CD) This did wipe the PC but as most items are rolled out by the server the rebuild went well. The laptop is working well on the new windows with TV12, however as stated before this is wireless and not part of the domain.

I have activated the "Defer Feature Updates" option on my computers and await a real solution before trying an update again

• Julia
    Julia Posts: 290 Staff member 🤠

Hi all,

Our development is already aware of this issue.

We will inform you when we have more information

Julia
    Senior Support Engineer - 2nd level Support
    Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others.
    Find this helpful? Say thanks by clicking on the Thumbs Up button.
  • Wiedholz
    Wiedholz Posts: 5 ✭✭

Ich habe das gleiche Problem, rolle grade das 1703 Upgrade in der Firma aus. Testgruppe mit ca. 30 Rechnern hat das Problem wie oben beschrieben.

Bitte Informieren Sie mich auch, wenn eine Lösung für das Problem vorliegt.

• hubran
    hubran Posts: 3

Any update on this? Even with the latest version v12.0.75813 installed today I see still the same behavior, the remote computer only shows up in the TV Computers and Contacts list after loging on via RDP.

• mandfmike
    edited January 2023

No update yet. I use teamviewer 11. And can't access computers that have win10 SP 1703 until logged in or using RDP first. I have 65 devices I use teamviewer for unattended access. I did get a reply from Teamviewer Staff below. But I can't wait to long for them to fix this. I'm getting ready to test **Third Party Product** on these computers and see if it works.

Hi mandfmike,

Julia (Staff) posted a new reply in TeamViewer 12 on 04-20-2017 07:59 AM :

Re: Windows 10 does not look to start service until logon

Hi all,

Our development is already aware of this issue.

We will inform you when we have more information

TeamViewer Community sent this message to [removed per Community Guidelines]. You are receiving this email because a new message matches your subscription to a topic.

• Bauer
    Bauer Posts: 6

I have the same problem, currently using TeamViewer 10. Any connection via contact list or a teamViewer ID is not possible unless someone is logged in.

I noticed though that I am still able to connect if the computer is within our LAN, it does work when I try to connect to a IP address or DNS name. So doesn't seem to be a problem of the service itself running on the computer, more likely a communication issue between the client service and the TeamViewer server. Maybe this info is of help for someone who uses TV also for internal support as well...

• Last version TV, Windows 10 Pro 1703 - same problem. Not connected without logon

• DomLan
    DomLan Posts: 490 ⭐Star⭐

Hi to all,

An information: your systems are equipped with the patch KB4016240 (build 15063.250) post Creators Update?

From change-log: Fixed a bug that prevented Lock Screen from being disabled through Group Policy in Professional Edition. Fixed a problem with the Windows Forms configuration options that cause a startup anti-virus software block.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Domenico Langone

MCSD: App Builder

• Bauer

Yes, we've tested patch KB4016240 and the result is that it behaves even weirder.

If my target computer is within our LAN, it does not make a difference. It's the same as before that patch, connection via IP/DNS is possible, via address book or Teamviewer-ID it is not. The computer icon in the address book only turns blue once someone logs in locally. Funny thing is, after logging out locally, the icon now stays blue, suggesting the remote computer is still reachable, yet I cannot connect anymore.

OTOH, if my target computer is outside our LAN, it seems to be back to normal. The computer icon in the address book turns blue once the TV service starts and connection is possible.

I would still prefer though to be able to connect to internal mobile devices with the help of the TV-ID, since we use several sub-domains and always stating the full DNS name is a bit annoying...

• Maurice

@Bauer: Is the target computer the same computer? And if it's outside your LAN, is it connected through WiFi or LAN? If that really makes a difference I'd like to know what exactly the difference is in network infrastructure that would cause such a problem.

Maurice
    Software Developer
  • Bauer

Ok, I did a few tests. The guest PC I used is always within our LAN, wired. The host PC is a win 10 rel 1703 notebook, its TV-ID is added to the contacts list. The host is able to connect via one of the following methods: wired (LAN), wifi (LAN) or wifi (3G modem, separate direct internet access)

Host is in LAN (wired or wifi):
    As long as nobody has logged in on the host after a reboot, connection is only possible via IP / fully qualified DNS name. TV-ID does not work, icon in contact list is black.

User has logged in, icon turns blue immediately, all access methods work.

Without KB4016240 the icon turns black after logging out
    With KB4016240, once the user logs off, the icon stays blue, but access via ID doesn't work anymore. IP/DNS still work, connection is established immediately. Even after waiting for 6 minutes, the icon stays blue. It takes about 2 minutes to turn black after I completely disconnect the host from any network.

Host is outside of LAN (3G over wifi):
    Host is showing expected/desired behaviour, icon turns blue right when the service starts after a reboot, TV-ID access does work and keep working.

Just to state the obvious, for all our other Win7 hosts or hosts with Win10 up to 1607, access was (and still is) possible by IP or TV-ID.

• infoworxx
    infoworxx Posts: 1

Hello,

same problem here; Win 10 1703, KB4016240 installed, connected with wired LAN Port (not Wifi!), no Teamviewer accessible until the user logs on.

I can provide a test-machine(s) for the teamviewer support team.

Sebastian