assignmentdata.json

Where can I get AssigmentData.json? I have tried to create a new host file, installed both MSI and EXE, but there is no json file anywhere.

What is in the file?

Best Answer

Answers

• NL
    NL Posts: 1

Hi,

we have the problem, that the file assignmentdata.json i deleted after the second startup of the service and after that we cannot assign the computer with the assignment tool.

Christian

• jaxson8
    jaxson8 Posts: 2 ✭✭

This tool might help you view, edit, and format JSON: JSON formatter

• ahnah
    ahnah Posts: 1

What if it is 64bit, does it still create the assignmentdata.json in x64 path ? 

because we had installed the MSI file to be manually on a testing laptop and yet the assignmentdata.json is not created. 

• mrjoetate
    mrjoetate Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited January 2023

I've tried deleting system registry keys from HKLM, the root teamviewer folder from program files, and doing forced uninstall with the msi... I cannot find a way to allow the .json to appear during an installation when I'm using automated large scale installations to move from one host / policy to another. This needs to be solved. TeamViewer has so many halfway decent things that are overshadowed by a decade of buggy and glitchy issues. One of the biggest problems is that we cannot lock out settings from 3rd party scammers from taking our clients unless we use these assignement tools AND we cannot generate them for clients if they have ever accidentally used the wrong person first... finaly, if something somehow causes the host to become unassigned then it's impossible to get it back fully to apply policies ever in the future. I've tried phone support in years past (no longer available), email support, and support forums support. I figured I'd post here and see if maybe someone else has found a workaround to solve this as TeamViewer support is the least helpful support in any product I still use (very tempted to go back to **Third Party Product** but they're just as bad from my previous experiences... it's been a few years though so it's almost worth trying again just to get away from such horrid support).

P.S. I have a corporate license and it does work if I'm lucky enough to get the computer before anyone else has ever used TeamViewer on it.

Things attempted that have failed:

• uninstall.exe /S
    • msiexec /x TeamViewer_Host.msi /qn /norestart
    • deleting C:\Program Files (x86)\TeamViewer\
    • deleting HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\TeamViewer
    • deleting HKLM\SOFTWARE\TeamViewer
  • mrjoetate

Aha!  So, if you use the wrapper installer for a previous version (TV12) then uninstall the wrapper first from control pannel (TV12 wrapper) then install the wrapper for a new version (TV13) the .json is created... I wrote a massive 5 minute script that does the whole thing for me so I can deploy this via rmm console.  Extremely pathetic workaround but it's worked 200+ times 100% so far.  I figured I'd respond and give the answer to my own frustration that lasted for so many weeks/months.

• LiftAdmin
    LiftAdmin Posts: 1
    edited January 2023

I'm very much interested in your solution... Would you be willing to post a sanitized copy of your script?

We're working to deploy TV in our org, replacing **Third Party Product** on 3000+ computers and we're struggling a bit with the assignmentdata.json being created on most of the systems.

• mrjoetate

I can't easily sanitize the script; however, I'll give you the basic outlines easy enough.

command line (powershell or batch should work fine)
    Have the corporate .msi installer for an older TV12 and the newer TV13 availble

Here's an example of the uninstall command line you need to remove properly installed wrappers:

wmic product where "name = 'Teamviewer 11 Host (MSI Wrapper)'" call uninstall /nointeractive

Here's an example on installing a product:

msiexec /i "C:\tprl\temp\TeamViewer_Host-idcXXXXXXX.msi" /qn /norestart

Here's an example of calling the assignment tool once the json exists (takes a minute, they don't tell you that, hence the timeout):

TeamViewer_Assignment.exe -apitoken XXXXXXXXXXX -datafile "${ProgramFiles}\TeamViewer\AssignmentData.json" -devicealias "${COMPUTERNAME}" -allowEasyAccess=TRUE/FALSE -wait=10-60

Change the TRUE/FALSE to either true or false.  Change the 10-60 to your timeout (I do 15 seconds with great success... default 10 seconds causes some issues I've noticed).

Hope this helps get you on the right path, took me a solid couple months to figure it out but it was worth it because I've rolled out to ~400 computers without issue so far.

• PNogueira
    PNogueira Posts: 1

Hi Jeremy,

I cannot get this file to show on the folder you mention. I've followed all the instructions and using Window10 64 bit. Please advise

• mrjoetate

I suggest you follow my process.  Jerry's process doesn't work.

• Hello mrjoetate,

We are having this problem as well. We are trying to deploy via RMM Script (Kaseya agent procedure) and are running into issue with the Assignmentdata.json not showing up at all when we just manually run the scripts from the machines - not even bringing in the kaseya agent procedure into the picture yet. No matter how long we wait, (up to 60 minutes) the file is never created. We have the "Allow account assignment via the account assignment tool" selected and created our scripts just like you have notated above.

I can barely get teamviewer email support to reply within a 2 hour window... this is killing me! Makes me think I've made a mistake purchasing TeamViewer. 

Can you provide any suggestions?

• mrjoetate

@pdunk wrote:

Hello mrjoetate,

We are having this problem as well. We are trying to deploy via RMM Script (Kaseya agent procedure) and are running into issue with the Assignmentdata.json not showing up at all when we just manually run the scripts from the machines - not even bringing in the kaseya agent procedure into the picture yet. No matter how long we wait, (up to 60 minutes) the file is never created. We have the "Allow account assignment via the account assignment tool" selected and created our scripts just like you have notated above.

I can barely get teamviewer email support to reply within a 2 hour window... this is killing me! Makes me think I've made a mistake purchasing TeamViewer. 

Can you provide any suggestions?

Greetings,

First: don't waste your time with TeamViewer support... it is not helpful.  Spending time on your own looking at what other users have done and just trying things is more helpeful than using support.

Second: use the corporate MSI installer with msi flags to "UNINSTALL" prior to trying to install with your MSI that has the "account assignement" flag checked.  You must do a full uninstall from a corporate host msi package to get the next install to creat the assignmentdata.json.

Hope that helps!

-Joe Tate

• mrjoetate

As a side note to people who read my comments about support. TeamViewer is a great product but they have support on par with US Cable companies... expect them to know how to sell you the product and that's it.

• Thanks for that info. To clarify a bit more, we don't have TeamViewer deployed at all. We just purchased TeamViewer corporate yesterday and deploying to virgin machines. Still no AssignmentData.json file.

Here is the scripts that we are using:

msiexec /i "C:\Intel\TeamViewerMSI\TeamViewer_Host-idcnnnnn##.msi" /qn /norestart
    TeamViewer_Assignment.exe -apitoken XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX -datafile "${ProgramFiles (x86)}\TeamViewer\AssignmentData.json" -devicealias "${COMPUTERNAME}" -allowEasyAccess=TRUE -wait=15

Thanks for your help, greatly appreciated - and way faster response times than TeamViewer support!

• mrjoetate

@pdunk wrote:

Thanks for that info. To clarify a bit more, we don't have TeamViewer deployed at all. We just purchased TeamViewer corporate yesterday and deploying to virgin machines. Still no AssignmentData.json file.

Here is a screenshot of the Design and Deploy screen:

[removed]

And here is the scripts that we are using:

msiexec /i "C:\Intel\TeamViewerMSI\TeamViewer_Host-*****.msi" /qn /norestart
    TeamViewer_Assignment.exe -apitoken ***** -datafile "${ProgramFiles (x86)}\TeamViewer\AssignmentData.json" -devicealias "${COMPUTERNAME}" -allowEasyAccess=TRUE -wait=15

Note: this is just a deployment I setup as a test, I've deleted it sense, but wanted you to see exactly what we are doing.

Thanks for your help, greatly appreciated - and way faster response times than TeamViewer support!

First thing's first: I would not put your private information public.  Feel free to email me, if you google my username you should find my website (username .com) and from there you should be able to find how to contact me (if you call my office line, currently you use option 4 to get me directly, future readers know I do change that often to avoid scamemrs).  I can rewrite your script for you in a couple minutes.  Maybe down the road you could return the favor if I need help with something.

Cheers.

• TPaukovitz
    TPaukovitz Posts: 2 ✭✭

I have the "Allow Account Assignment viat the Assignment Tool" option listed on my custom host, have my MSI with the proper idc number, but not AssignmentData.json appears for me. I have tried with multiple samples of host with no success.

• I figured out that they changed the way to run the assignment process in Teamviewer 13. Tech support pointed me to this article when I contacted them.

https://community.teamviewer.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Mass-deployment-improvements/ta-p/39639

Basically all the assignment switches have been merged into the MSI and are called manually from a batch script when running the MSI.

• mrjoetate
    That's great. I'll test this but my corporate license and custom hosts don't work that way and they're all 13. I see it says 13.2 so maybe it's in the works or very recently released (I'm installing from a host I upgraded to latest and downloaded less than 2 months ago, I think more than a month, and it's 13.1). I know the alert there is the same root cause most are facing, so I think people will continue to have issues until they allow in-place upgrade options.
  • mrjoetate

@pdunk

https://community.teamviewer.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Mass-deployment-improvements/ta-p/39639

Basically all the assignment switches have been merged into the MSI and are called manually from a batch script when running the MSI.

Okay, I haven't tested mass-scale deployment but this did work for me on a single test case... I have had 3 or 4 people email me in the last 2 days about this so I wanted to put it public as soon as I found it... Here's the new command line installer code for the MSI for TeamViewer 13.2 (note, TeamViewer 13 is not universal, if you created your MSI sometime in August, estimating around the 18th, then you're using TeamViewer 13.1 install process and should do as previously mentioned or recreate your MSI installer from the teamviewer management interface...):

msiexec.exe /i "X:\TeamViewer_Host.msi" /qn CUSTOMCONFIGID=[your custom id, IE 1a2b3c4] DESKTOPSHORTCUTS=[1= create shortcuts; 0= do not create shortcuts] APITOKEN=[your API Token, IE: 1234566-abcdefghijklmnopq] ASSIGNMENTOPTIONS="--alias %COMPUTERNAME% --group [use your group name] --grant-easy-access"

With more options available on the mass deployement guide (13.2 changes mentioned above by pdunk: https://community.teamviewer.com/t5/TeamViewer-General/assignmentdata-json/m-p/44174/highlight/true#M21887):

OptionValue necessaryDescription

--alias

yes

Alias for the new device in the computers & contacts list. If the device is already in the contact list, no alias will be applied.

--grant-easy-access

no

Grants easy access after assignment (same as the "Grant easy access" option in the TeamViewer main window)

--reassign

no

Assigns the device to the account even if the device is already assigned to an account.

--group

yes

Name of the group in which the device will be added. When the group doesn't exist it will be automatically created. If the device is already present in the computers & contacts list in a different group, it won't be moved to the group.

*Only required if no custom host is used, as there is already a default group defined in the custom configuration.

--group-id

yes

This option is an alternative to use the --group parameter if the id of the group is known. This might be useful in very large customer environments as it speeds up the assignment process. Usually using --group is sufficient.

--proxy

yes

Url of your proxy (only for the assignment) in the format <name>:<port>, e. g. --proxy yourproxy:3201

(warning) URL without http://

--proxy-user

yes

Username which is used for authentication against the proxy (only for the assignment).

--proxy-pw

yes

Password which is used for authentication against the proxy (only for the assignment).

--proxy-pw-base64

yes

Same as --proxy-pw, but the password needs to be entered as a Base64 encoded string. Might for passwords with special characters.

• TPaukovitz
    TPaukovitz Posts: 2 ✭✭

Also don't forget to add:

ASSIGNMENTOPTIONS="--group Test_Group --grant-easy-access"

for Easy Access.

• mrjoetate

@TPaukovitz wrote:

Also don't forget to add:

ASSIGNMENTOPTIONS="--group Test_Group --grant-easy-access"

for Easy Access.

Great note, I'll add that to my code above, thanks.

• mrjoetate

I would also like to point out I verified all my previous scripts continue to work on 13.1 (specifically 13.1.3629 was the one I just tested, which isn't the latest 13.1 but it was what I had prepackaged on a endpoint I needed to add for a client).  I have remotely deployed using the methods mentioned by me in previous posts with a host updated today utlizing the previous host msi package I had downloaded... it was installed with all the latest customizations that I made for the 13.2.  I then ran an "update" to 13.2.14327 without any issue. Those of you with hundreds to thousands of endpoints don't need to freak out and make changes yet... everything works as expected for existing scripts.

Cheers.

• anthonyb
    anthonyb Posts: 1

the only response from TeamViewer in this thread is a copy/paste from the assignment pdf?

Really?