Posted by tecHHoma
Digon

Backup Autoselect on Folders

Most other back up services use an wasy,convenient way to selct files and folder for backup. You simply right click on what you want, and select 'back this up' or don't back this up'

I understand the idea of creating a policy for a corporate or large environment. I am not saying remove the policy option, but most of my customers are small business, and have very few users.

5 Replies
Posted by Remote Management Staff
Remote Management Staff

Re: Backup Autoselect on Folders

Hi @tecHHoma

Thanks for the post. It's really important for us to receive these type of feedback in order to improve ITbrain backup for our customers. 

I have added this feature request in our priority backlog and we will investigate it further during this year. 

Windows has a lot of common folders which can be used to create a short list of common folders people might want to backup.

Could you please let us know what common folders are useful for you to start with implementing Backup policies? 

Product Owner, Remote Management services.
Posted by tecHHoma
Digon

The folders I usually back up are i n the users folder

documents, dowloads, favorites, pictures, videos.

If you use the 'Quick Selection' sometimes you get documents or pictures you don't want. These take up valuable space.

Example, I used the 'Quick Select' for one of my customers and it backed up 7.83 GB. I changed it to just back up their My Documents folder, and the back up was only 2.79GB

Posted by tecHHoma
Digon

Just a follow up.

Example for this topic. My customer syncs Drop Box with their PC. Using the quick select also backs up the Drop Box files. They do not want to back up Drop Box because these are shared files already on the cloud.

Then, the same  files are backed up on each PC in the office, using valuable cloud space.

Highlighted
Posted by Remote Management Staff
Remote Management Staff

Hi @tecHHoma

Thanks for the post. 

In this situation I would add a global policy to exclude the dropbox folders. 

Example: C:\Users\*\Documents\Dropboxfolder\

the * will be a place holder for the user folder name. 

in these situations is beter to take them case by case and create exclusions for the folders which are not needed to be backedup. 

We have mamy customers who want to have 2 or 3 redundancies when it comes to backup and they like having both options. 

I hope this helps. 

Best regards,

Product Owner, Remote Management services.
1 Reply
Posted by tecHHoma
Digon

This entire back up service is completely geard toward corporations that have policy administrators and tech that understand what paths and exclusions are. My home and small business customers would not be able to begin to use this,

I have work with other companies such as Carbonite, and in some cases the customers does not choose IT Brain because it is too difficult to understand and use.

In this case, someone would have to have the ability to figure out that drop box was the folder they did not want to back up, in order to create the exclusion. Way too time consuming without a full time IT staff.