Posted by ecommweb
Henagon

IT Brain backup , how to reduce the number of files stored in backup

The setitngs we used for thr backup policy for a client has tipped us over the amount of space we had purchased for IT Brain backup.

I've changed the policy to reduce the number of files being backed up, and rerun the problem backup, but it hasn't recovered the space, we are still over the limit, and this seems to be blocking any other client backups from running.

Anyone know what else we can do apart from deleting the backup for that client altogether, and reinstalling it?

2017-05-16_19-38-01.png

8 Replies
Posted by Remote Management Staff
Remote Management Staff

Re: IT Brain backup , how to reduce the number of files stored in backup

Hi @ecommweb

Thanks for the message. 

ITbrain backup has a 30-day retention implemented for all backups. 

After you removed the backups which are not useful they will be there for the next 30 days. 

If the data on the system is intact I would recommend a complete re-install and to apply the correct policy only with desired backup files. 

We are also working on a few improvements to help our customers deal better with these type of situations. 

If this will not work please send us an e-mail to support@itbrain.com

Product Owner, Remote Management services.
Posted by RRushing
Henagon

So my understanding is:

I have a SQL database that is 13GB in size and is backed up weekly. My server folder will only keep 2 weeks worth of databases, because the maintenance program will delete older files. But you are saying that the files that get deleted auotmatically on my server WILL NOT be deleted on the cloud storage for 30 days? If this is right, I will exceed the 50GB limit. Can they be manually deleted?

Remote Management Staff

Hi @RRushing

Thanks for the post. 

The retention for files is 30 days regardless of how many versions are being backed up during this time. 

if file test.doc was backed up today and tomorrow the file test.doc gets modified the latest one becomes the main backup file and the oldest one starts counting 30days until it gets deleted. And this is the behavior for all files which have more than one version. 

If you are backing up SQL please make sure that backups are running when the SQL server is not being used as it can create issues for the SQL Server operations. 

We are planning to have full SQl support later this year for better SQL backups management. 

Yes, you will have to purchase additional storage. We do think that our prices are very low and 16 E or $ /per months is not that much for 100 GB of backup. 

I will add a feature request to be able to delete older versions of backups. This is a good feature for backup management. 

I hope my answer helped you understand better how ITbrain backup is working. 

Posted by ilaundry
Henagon

Is the SQL Support available yet?

At the moment we are backing up databases on da ily basis but only need 3 days backups and not 30 days.

Changing the number of retention days will be a great feature to have too

Remote Management Staff

Hi @ilaundry

Thanks for the post. 

We are working on bringing support for SQL DB. We do not have yet a release date but we will post in the News Section when we release it. 

Posted by ilaundry
Henagon

Dear Stanislav,

As much as your price may in your opinion be cheap, the challenge is going out of bundle unnesesarily as a result of inflexible retention policies that you enforce, you cannot expect people to just keep buying more space.

If you follow the threads, it seems that nobody likes this and you may find yourself losing customers as a result; we for one are investigating alternatives. We have already stopped using other itbrain products for similar challenges.

Regards 

Highlighted
Remote Management Staff

Hi @ilaundry

Thanks for the message. 

At this moment we are building some features which will allow our customers to have better control over their backup files.  Delete backup button is the first step and we will bring this year custom retention policy for individual use.  We hope to solve some of the problems some customers encountered while managing backups with ITbrain. 

If you have any other bits of advice please let us know. We would like to hear what are the problems you are facing so we can solve them. 

Best regards,

Posted by mrjoetate
Trigon

@ilaundrywrote:

Dear Stanislav,

As much as your price may in your opinion be cheap, the challenge is going out of bundle unnesesarily as a result of inflexible retention policies that you enforce, you cannot expect people to just keep buying more space.

If you follow the threads, it seems that nobody likes this and you may find yourself losing customers as a result; we for one are investigating alternatives. We have already stopped using other itbrain products for similar challenges.

Regards 

This is what they expect and what they have expected for over a year.  I use this backup on very select systems and I've been told since TeamViewer 12 launch that they will have "improvements" but I've yet to see them.  The software is riddled with install issues and the policies don't actually work 100% of the time (yeah, seriously, you say backup 3 folders and sometimes it only backs up 2 folders and never tells you it failed).  These issues have been reported over and over since before this product was called IT Brain and before it got removed from being available in other venues.  If you have something as important as a business databse that you need backed up I would strongly recommend another product.  This is better suited for grandma's pictures to help drive the cost down but still give her a "usually works" backup.