New to ITBrain: Ransomware issue with network drive setup

Highlighted
Posted by DKluis
Henagon

New to ITBrain: Ransomware issue with network drive setup

I tested the anti-ransomware on a local drive and trusted the backup software.   That worked.

Shared that drive on the network and tested again the local backup software to the same drive.  That worked.

Tested backing up (same software) from another machine to the same (shared) drive and that did not work.  It worked before without anti-ransomware activated.

Is there a way to trust an application running on another machine in the network?

Dick

Dick @ Concise Advice
5 Replies
5 Replies
Posted by Moderator Moderator

Re: New to ITBrain: Ransomware issue with network drive setup

Hello @DKluis,

Thank you for your post.

It is not currently possible to add shared drive paths to the Trusted Applications folder. The application would need to be on the same machine that ITbrain Anti-Malware is installed on.

I will forward this feature request to our Product Development team. While I cannot say if or when this feature may be implemented (as it is based on popular demand), we appreciate your feedback!

Josh P.

If my reply answered your question, help out other users and click the Accept as a Solution  button below.

You can also say thanks by clicking on the Thumbs Up button!

Thanksfor being an active member of our Community!
Posted by DKluis
Henagon

I would assume that a lot of people access files/folder on a network share and have this same problem.

This would mean that you cannot use the antiransomware funtion with share files on a network drive at all.

PS:  My name get translated as <bleep>...   My name really is Dick and not Richard

Dick @ Concise Advice
Posted by Moderator Moderator

Hello @DKluis,

Thank you for your feedback. 

ITbrain Anti-Malware is designed to protect the device it is installed on, and does not currently support network drives; the services would need to be installed on the device where the shared drive is connected in order to be able to be protected by ITbrain Anti-Malware. I have forwarded this request, however, as mentioned above. 

I do apologize about your name being filtered; I will request our community filters be updated.

Josh P.

If my reply answered your question, help out other users and click the Accept as a Solution  button below.

You can also say thanks by clicking on the Thumbs Up button!

Thanksfor being an active member of our Community!
Posted by DKluis
Henagon

Hi JoshP

Understand the current situation, just was pointing out that a lot of important data is not local but on a network drive and thus cannot currently be protected from ransomware.   That should be somewhere on your website so that people can see that before they buy a subscription.

Nobody on the network can work if I enable the antiransomware on the system where the folder/files physically are located.

I put in a workaround by syncing the data to another folder and enable the antiransomware option on that folder but it is a clucky solution double the storage space.

D..k

Dick @ Concise Advice
Posted by ITbrain Staff
ITbrain Staff

Hi @DKluis

The best solution for the encountered situation is to contact our support and run some tests to understand your environment. 

This is an edge case we knew that we will find as people will start using Active Ransomware protection.  When developing we try to take into account many scenarios however sometimes network implementations differ drastically on Windows platform. 

Product Owner ITbrain