Announcements

Did you already try the new Windows 10 October 2020 Update?

Share your feedback and experience with TeamViewer on the new Windows build with our developers here.

Highlighted
Posted by
Photon

[ANDROID] Keyboard shortcut/mapping improvements

G'day all,

[First, huge thanks to the TV devs for this brilliant, countless-hours-saving program!]

I've just tried controlling my Samsung S7 with my Windows 10 laptop via TV for the first time and it's been superb just like PC-to-PC remotes. Even after five minutes it's already much better than the other remotes I've tried (APowerMirror, Samsung SideSync). I think it could be improved by supporting more general keyboard shortcuts for text editing, e.g.:

• SHIFT + LEFT/RIGHT: select previous/next character(s)
  • SHIFT + UP/DOWN: select text from current-line X coordinate to previous/next line at the same X coordinate (tricky to explain, hope y'know what I mean 🙃)
  • CTRL + SHIFT + LEFT/RIGHT: Select previous/next string(s)
  • CTRL + BACKSPACE: Delete previous whole word
  • ALT + SHIFT + TAB: Same as the working ALT + TAB but in reverse

I have some hope that implementing these isn't too tricky since CTRL + A and ALT + TAB already work.

Also, some customisation options I think would be great:

• F1–F12 / CTRL + F1–F12 can be mapped to trigger:
    • Screen on/off
    • Launch app
    • Media track play/pause
    • Media track next/previous
    • Media track fast forward/rewind
    • Volume up/down
    • Emulate Back/Home/Menu button
    • etc.
  • ALT + TAB only affects host OS (Yes/No)
  • ALT + TAB works immediately after the remote Android device regains focus from the host OS (Yes/No)
  • ALT + ENTER to send text message can be set to CTRL + ENTER or SHIFT + ENTER (I'm used to CTRL + ENTER for Mozilla Thunderbird)

Not too much to ask? ;-) Apologies if these have already been implemented somehow and I've missed them or if this is a repeat request. I really appreciate what you've done with the program and hope it continues to improve.

Thanks for your time and regards from Australia!
--
j.

2 Replies
Highlighted
Posted by
Henagon

Re: [ANDROID] Keyboard shortcut/mapping improvements

I would like add to this post my case.
To many times I uses my android phone to do small things on my pc, in the public bus, metro, etc. And its wonderful.
currently I am trying to use a physical keyboard connected to my android phone, but this keyboard doesn't have the ESC or F1-F12 keys.... so, i'm using windows because with native android i can't do it, and without these keys the keyboard its almost pointless.

Its be nice if I can map this keys with a combination or can add in the screen of the phone.

Highlighted
Posted by
Henagon

Re: [ANDROID] Keyboard shortcut/mapping improvements

Agreed.  Actually I think any key should be remappable to any other key/key combination.  Something like a mini-version of AutoHotkey; just your and my requests to start with would be a huge improvement.  I am a programmer and cannot understand the difficulty/hesitance for doing this TBH.  Please, TV!  I'm begging you.  :D