Announcements

The Community is moving next week! 

Find all information incl. the timeline and tips for a smooth migration here.

We will be in read-only mode from this Sunday to Tuesday.

Posted by
Henagon

Idea: Register Teamviewer as a protocol (e.g., teamviewer://{teamviewerId} ) so that one can open from web link

Idea/Feature Request : Most operating systems allow programs to register themselves as a custom protocol so that if a link is clicked with that protocol, the program is run with that url.  If teamviewer added support for this, it would simplify integration with other systems significantly.  

For example, on systems that do monitoring, if something went down the alert could contain a teamviewer://XXXXXX link such that the response team could just click the link and go straight into the machine that needed fixing.

Potential improvements to this idea include allowing the customer to use a hashed version of the teamviewer id like teamviewer://(sha256 of the key) so that emails don't contain the actual teamviewer id.  Or even to register a particular salt for even further security.

But thats all just gravy.  The protocol is the important thing.

2 Replies
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Posted by TeamViewer Star
TeamViewer Star
Solution

Re: Idea: Register Teamviewer as a protocol (e.g., teamviewer://{teamviewerId} ) so that one can open from web link

Hi @cweiss,

...just to understand the scenario you describe. You have a complex monitoring system and when you detect an error you are able to determine at least the TeamViewer identifier of the machine on which the problem was detected.
I imagine that the target machine can be a headless server, specially configured by you with a password known to you or even with easy access without password (because you admit the reachability only from within your network or something similar).
Under these conditions, even with some additional complications, you should already be able to set up a messaging with a URL that, when called up, produces:
- the opening of the local TeamViewer client (the response team);
- direct connection to the interlocutor (remote machine).

Download the TeamViewer API manual and check appendix A. You can also start the TV client and connect to the device via a command prompt or instrumentate a powershell script generated on the fly.

If it were not enough or if this were not the hypothesized scenario, could you further describe it?

Regards.

Domenico Langone
MCSD: App Builder
Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others.
Find this helpful? Say thanks by clicking on the Thumbs Up button.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Posted by TeamViewer Star
TeamViewer Star
Solution

Re: Idea: Register Teamviewer as a protocol (e.g., teamviewer://{teamviewerId} ) so that one can open from web link

Hi @cweiss,

...just to understand the scenario you describe. You have a complex monitoring system and when you detect an error you are able to determine at least the TeamViewer identifier of the machine on which the problem was detected.
I imagine that the target machine can be a headless server, specially configured by you with a password known to you or even with easy access without password (because you admit the reachability only from within your network or something similar).
Under these conditions, even with some additional complications, you should already be able to set up a messaging with a URL that, when called up, produces:
- the opening of the local TeamViewer client (the response team);
- direct connection to the interlocutor (remote machine).

Download the TeamViewer API manual and check appendix A. You can also start the TV client and connect to the device via a command prompt or instrumentate a powershell script generated on the fly.

If it were not enough or if this were not the hypothesized scenario, could you further describe it?

Regards.

Domenico Langone
MCSD: App Builder
Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others.
Find this helpful? Say thanks by clicking on the Thumbs Up button.

View solution in original post

Posted by
Henagon

That actually completely solves my problem.  We use the TV API a fair amount but somehow I have missed that Appendix up until now.  Thanks so much!