Highlighted
Posted by kurt
Henagon

Agentless Remote Support on LAN

I'm looking to switch to TeamViewer from Logmein rescue.  There's one feature of rescue that I use constatantly and that's the ability to connect to any domain joined PC without having to first install any agent and without a Password.  This feature works for any domain admin only as it pushes the needed software during the connection and removes it afterwards.  Does TeamViewer have this feature?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Posted by TeamViewer Staff
TeamViewer Staff
Solution

Re: Agentless Remote Support on LAN

Hi @kurt,

Thanks for your query. You're right, domain admins do have the ability and right to silently install software onto the computers they manage within a company. Our approach to this scenario is a little different however. We feel it's more convenient to deploy the software (our "Host" module) ahead of time. It installs as a Windows system service, so that it's always running on the target computer and is ready to accept a connection from the admin at any time, with or without user interaction.

There are a couple of key benefits to this approach: firstly, when you (the admin) want to connect to the remote computer, you don't first have to wait for a small piece of software to download and run on the remote computer. You can connect instantly. Sometimes those extra few seconds or minutes matter.

And secondly, the fact that our software runs as a Windows system service means that it doesn't depend on a bunch of settings or prerequisites to allow you to connect to it. In the LogMeIn article you cited above, there is a list of Windows settings that are required to push their software to the remote computer. None of those are a requirement when you use our Host module. All you need are administrator privileges on the remote computer. We also provide an MSI version of our Host installer to customers with our Corporate license, so they can easily deploy it using Group Policy within their domain.

Another benefit of the Host module is that, although the admin can connect to it at anytime without needing the user to be present, the user can also request support from the admin too, using the Host's built-in "Help me" button, which sends a notification to the admin to inform them that the user needs help (along with whatever description the user types in). The admin can start a chat conversation and/or simply click a link and connect directly to the user. This wouldn't be possible if the Host module wasn't installed and running on the computer.

Most of the time, a domain admin or company technician will have the need to connect on more than one occasion to the computers for which they are responsible, so it makes more sense to have the TeamViewer software already installed and running. However, there are of course times when an admin or technician might want do perform a quick, one-off connection to a computer - perhaps some computer for which they aren't normally responsible - to help the user out. That's where our QuickSupport module comes into play. In this case the admin can simply give a special URL (predefined and customised) to the user. The user only needs to click the link, download and run the QuickSupport file, and the admin can immediately connect to them. Nothing gets installed - the QuickSupport file runs in-place and can be deleted afterwards.

So - whether the admin needs the convenience of connecting at any time to the computers under their responsibility, or whether the admin needs to make an easy one-off connection to help a user out, they can use either our Host module or QuickSupport module to accomplish this, without needing to care about a list of prerequisites.

I hope that's helpful!

Regards,
Jeremy
TeamViewer Quality Assurance Engineer
11 Replies
Posted by DomLan
Heptagon

Immediate assistance: TeamViewer QuickSupport

Unattended access: TeamViewer Host

https://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/windows/

Regards

Domenico Langone
MCSD: App Builder
Posted by kurt
Henagon

Those are not the options I need.  For example, with rescue, I can hit a button and it searches my network for all online computers, I click on one and click connect.  No software was ever installed on the remote computer ahead of time and no user is even there.

Posted by DomLan
Heptagon

Hi kurt,

it's interesting... very interesting. From this official LogMeIn help Avoiding scammers who abuse LogMeIn Rescue trial accounts I've read more about the product "LogMeIn Rescue", but for what I could understand there is always the need for a mutual agreement to allow automatic access to a certain target computer (even if it is present on the same LAN).

I doubt that this mutual agreement can take place unidirectionally and without any installation (software or firewall rule or certificate... or other as launch software or link), you do not agree?

I'm sorry, but not knowing the product so well I would not know if it allows the same functionality with the same safety issues.

Regards.

Domenico Langone
Posted by kurt
Henagon

I guess that means TeamViewer doesn't have this feature unfortunately.  I use it all the time as it saves me lots of time.  When I do connect, as I said it loads\installs the software during the connection time so the user does see the rescue app pop up. 

Teamviewer would allow you to connect without user intervention if you install the software ahead of time or silently push the app to the PC so I really don't see any difference as far as privacy or mutual agreement.  A lot of times I use it to connect to my own servers so there is no user even there and no need to have a client software constantly running waiting for connections.

Posted by DomLan
Heptagon

Hi kurt,

The ability to connect to an unattended host exists. I sent you the links in the first answer.

The mechanism of execution (apparent) without mutual agreement is the standard behavior of a hacking software.

Even if you decide to access RDP via a host, you will have to allow the same host to receive requests through this channel. Whether you or someone else activates RDP on the host, the mutuality of the action exists.

Even this community site opens a port for websocket communication with the software produced by Lithium: the channel serves to convey new emails, new thread responses you have followed, and more. Where was the mutual acceptance for activating this channel? After logging in via OAuth to TeamViewer before logging in to this community.

Anyway, I'll carry a piece of text to the LogMeIn link provided yesterday: "For those who have already granted access to their computer, it is important to be aware that the computer owner has ultimate control over the support process."

Regards

Domenico Langone
Posted by kurt
Henagon

I really don't understand your arguments.  You've got to remember this feature only works if the support rep has domain admin rights on the computers. So what's the difference whether you install the software ahead of time like you suggest or 10 seconds before you connect?  There is no difference other than not having to install the software ahead of time is a convenience and a feature that I was looking for in TeamViewer.

As a domain admin, I can push any piece of software I want to the workstations including enabling RDP, VNC, or even the TeamViewer Host software silently.  Whether you install the software ahead of time manually or through Group Policy and then connect unattended, there is still no mutual agreement with an end user so not sure how you can call one hacking and one not.

I think you're missing the fact that you first need to have admin rights on the PC.

Here's the link that explains the steps on LogmeIn's website.  http://help.logmein.com/articles/en_US/Documentation/rescue-tc-t-resc-tc-apol/?q=connect+on+lan&l=en...

Posted by DomLan
Heptagon

Hi kurt,

Can TeamViewer be used within a local network (LAN) only?

Regards

Domenico Langone
Posted by kurt
Henagon

That's not going to help.  I think TeamViewer should build in this feature I'm looking for.  It's very handy for network admins.

@DomLan wrote:

Hi kurt,

Can TeamViewer be used within a local network (LAN) only?

Regards

Posted by TeamViewer Staff
TeamViewer Staff
Solution

Hi @kurt,

Thanks for your query. You're right, domain admins do have the ability and right to silently install software onto the computers they manage within a company. Our approach to this scenario is a little different however. We feel it's more convenient to deploy the software (our "Host" module) ahead of time. It installs as a Windows system service, so that it's always running on the target computer and is ready to accept a connection from the admin at any time, with or without user interaction.

There are a couple of key benefits to this approach: firstly, when you (the admin) want to connect to the remote computer, you don't first have to wait for a small piece of software to download and run on the remote computer. You can connect instantly. Sometimes those extra few seconds or minutes matter.

And secondly, the fact that our software runs as a Windows system service means that it doesn't depend on a bunch of settings or prerequisites to allow you to connect to it. In the LogMeIn article you cited above, there is a list of Windows settings that are required to push their software to the remote computer. None of those are a requirement when you use our Host module. All you need are administrator privileges on the remote computer. We also provide an MSI version of our Host installer to customers with our Corporate license, so they can easily deploy it using Group Policy within their domain.

Another benefit of the Host module is that, although the admin can connect to it at anytime without needing the user to be present, the user can also request support from the admin too, using the Host's built-in "Help me" button, which sends a notification to the admin to inform them that the user needs help (along with whatever description the user types in). The admin can start a chat conversation and/or simply click a link and connect directly to the user. This wouldn't be possible if the Host module wasn't installed and running on the computer.

Most of the time, a domain admin or company technician will have the need to connect on more than one occasion to the computers for which they are responsible, so it makes more sense to have the TeamViewer software already installed and running. However, there are of course times when an admin or technician might want do perform a quick, one-off connection to a computer - perhaps some computer for which they aren't normally responsible - to help the user out. That's where our QuickSupport module comes into play. In this case the admin can simply give a special URL (predefined and customised) to the user. The user only needs to click the link, download and run the QuickSupport file, and the admin can immediately connect to them. Nothing gets installed - the QuickSupport file runs in-place and can be deleted afterwards.

So - whether the admin needs the convenience of connecting at any time to the computers under their responsibility, or whether the admin needs to make an easy one-off connection to help a user out, they can use either our Host module or QuickSupport module to accomplish this, without needing to care about a list of prerequisites.

I hope that's helpful!

Regards,
Jeremy
TeamViewer Quality Assurance Engineer
Posted by kurt
Henagon

Thanks for the info.  I agree with everything you said.  What I'm looking for wouldn't take away from any of that, it would just be another feature on top of what you described.  It has it's pros and cons as well but it turnes out to be one of the features I use often.  I'll have to weigh my options and decide where to go from here.   Thanks

Posted by MA19
Electron

Re: Agentless Remote Support on LAN/WAN

Is there a way I can use teamviewer without administrative rights to either my machine or the clients machine on either the LAN/WAN side of the network without having the agent installed on both machines in questiuon?  Keep in mind I have no adminstrator rights to the computers on either side of the connection?  Like unattended access without admin rights I guess.  Whichever solution requires the least amount of user intervention to implement would be best.