Posted by Basv
Henagon

Change password remotely by policy

I would like to push new passwords to all teamviewer hosts by policy. So we can change the default password every x months or on suppect of breach or people leaving the company.

We have over 400 machines and now we have to do it local on the machine.

20 Replies
Posted by mLipok
Heptagon

Re: Change password remotely by policy

We have similar needs.
Check my post here:
Restrict user to connect to remote host with stored password ?

Regards,
mLipok , AutoIt MVP

Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others.
Find this helpful? Say thanks by clicking on the Thumbs Up button.

Posted by Wi_techguy1981
Photon

I also have the same need.. ?? I have contacted Support and they are not very quick to reply and I am still waiting.. I am starting to wonder if another solution might be better. 

Posted by TeamViewer Staff
TeamViewer Staff

there are currently 2 alternative ways to manage access to your devices.

option A:
use whitelists (can be depolyed by policy):
- only people on the whitelist are allowed to connect.
- you can update the whitelist if a person joins/leaves

option B:
use shared groups and easy access:
- create one or more groups, add the devices to them. (each device can only be in one group for this)
- link each host to the account of the group owner (for example the company admin) => this can be done remotely
- activate easy access on the device
- share the group with all people who are supposed to have access

so, once set up and running:
- you do not need to share any passwords (you can still keep the fixed password for the admin as a fallback, if you want)
- each person the group is shared with may connect without password
- if a new person joins, you just share the group(s) with him (just give "read" rights, if he should not be allowed to add/remove devices and/or reshare the group)
- if a person leaves, remove him from the sharees via the management console
- can be used for Host or Full version
- you can additionally disable the random password via policy
- you can also prevent the removal of the account assignment via policy

Posted by mLipok
Heptagon

Option B is "almost" perfectly what I need ;)

What I need is this kind of feature to add:

1. add the requirement to enter a password stored in the Management Console (separate password for each group) === I do not want such easy access, as this is currently in Option2,   I want to each connection start with providing password.
  2. add possibility to make Customized QuickSupport which will be assigned to the main/admin account, without the need to store password in time when Customized QuickSupport is created.

Regards,
mLipok , AutoIt MVP

TeamViewer Staff

thanks for your valuable feedback.

maybe it helps, if I explain what easyAccess actually does (a bit simplyfied).
The host, where easyAccess is active has a list of accounts he trusts (thats the accounts its group is shared to)
On incoming connection it checks if the connecting account is trusted and additionally it is authenticated.

if you remove a account from a shared group, every host will remove it from its "list" and no longer let it connect.

So easyAccess more secure than using a password shared among a bunch of people:
- There are some mechanisms in place to protect the accounts against compromisation, such as TFA (two factor authentication) and our trusted devices (validation email, if you login to account from different computer).
- its easy to control what accounts have access, but hard to know who has knowledge of a password

we consider your use-case important and are thinking about improvements to help you keep your devices secured as easy as possible.
so thanks for helping us understand what you need.

Posted by mLipok
Heptagon

@Steffen Thanks for your answer.
I can agree with you with that I have better possibility to control "who have access, an who not", but I'm thinking about additional way of authorization.

Current solution is good if you  mean that TV user which is connecting to remote host, always logoff from his station, when he step back from computer, but the world is not perfect. I can imagine the case when active LoggedIn TeamViewer APP is stolen or the user have any kind of health issue. In that case any user will be have easy access to all remote host.

The solution which you showed to us is really perfect if we are using TViewer from secure offices. But you must think about that people are connectiong to servers, on many places (in train, coffee bar, car, etc...) , even from Cellurar Phone . And because bad things happned, I do not want to have a bad day when somebody stole devices with LogedUser/Employer.

But thanks for your Involvement in this thread, I hope that in the future the appropriate solution will settle as a function of TeamViewer.

Regards,
mLipok , AutoIt MVP

Posted by JesperOesterdal
Henagon

Hi Steffen,

I have read you post with great interest, because we are looking in on incorporating TV in our support environment, but one of the things that we have stumbled on is the security part, and how to change the password on the hosts when support personal leaves the company.

Can you help me towards some kind of guide, on how to setup easyacces?

Regards

/Jesper

TeamViewer Staff

Hi Jesper,

i'd like to refer you to the user manual (https://www.teamviewer.com/docs/en/v12/TeamViewer12-Manual-Remote-Control-en.pdf)

Chapter 7.4 (Connections to your own computers without a password.) briefly explains how to set up easyAccess.

feel free to ask the community or contact our customer support if you need further assistance incorporating TV in your support environment.

Regards

Steffen

Posted by Dups
Photon

I also need the ability to set / change passwords by policy.  With comms as poor as they are here in Swaziland, we generally do not remote control via the internet but use direct LAN connections.  This forces the use of the password as EasyAccess no longer applies.

This in turn forces us to share out a password for a number of technicians with no quick way to change the passowrd of our 400 PC's should we suspect abuse.

Teamviewer please pick up this issue / request / cause even if they cover themselves by suggesting the two methods above as best practice.  Even if TV highly recommend that this "Feature" is not used.  It would really help and great deal and allows the users of your product to make the choice, weighing up usability vs security.

Posted by escallin
Digon

I fail to see why Teamviewer is fighting this implementation.  I've asked for this for years and it's the ONE thing I hate about TV.  I don't want to use the whitelist or the easy access, I just want to change all my passwords at once.  Why don't they understand that?

Hello....support dudes, are you listening?  IT'S WHAT YOUR USERS WANT, SO BUILD IT....or someone else will.

Posted by scottg
Electron

I thought I had granted easy access to a machine, and it turns out I have not. I now need to log in to it, and can't as it's probably showing some 4 digit code that I can't see, as I am not there.
I logged in to the management console, and set a password for that machine (not the machine I am currently on). Tried to log on to that remote machine using the password I just set up, and it won't work. What is this password for then? How do I log on to this machine? It's in my list of verified computers, I should be able to set passwords remotely from my master TV account, yes? Why is this not working as expected? I NEED access to this machine NOW and you're not providing me a way to do it even though all machines are in my list of trusted devices. This is a massive hole in functionality.

TeamViewer Staff

Hi together,

I understand your need and put your feature request onto our roadmap.
However, I cannot promise you when this feature will be implemented.

Christian

Team Lead Product Development (Enterprise)

Did my reply answer your question? To help others, please accept it as solution. Thanks!
Posted by JesperMoller
Henagon

I really hope this gets implemented soon.

It's so annoying not being able to set this in the policies.

Jesper

Posted by teamadm
Henagon

Hi, any update in this case ?

I have also problem with change personal password on hosts (500 PC's) in my company. I am fighting with this second day and it is horrible...

I am deploying TV hosts using SCCM. I prepared on one host a configuration, Exported this configuration with a personal password. I added this configuration file (TeamViewer_Settings.reg) to a folder which contain TV MSI file with ID ending. I deployed new version of TV hosts via SCCM. What's was happened ?

Old password doesn't work, new password doesn't work and I don't have access to PC's...

I need help with that case I need access to computers

PS: I am using at the moment TV 13, maybe deploy v12 will solve the problem ?

Posted by Kentain
Trigon

Here's how I did it.. your mileage may vary..

Enable Win-RM, via GPO (if you haven't already)
Set a password on a box
regedit /a thinger.reg "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\TeamViewer"edit thinger.reg to only have the password entry, clean out the rest
copy the thinger to a secure file share
we use the unattended host, but instead of getting the MSI, get the EXE and TV Assignment tool, and put those on that secure file share
Copy your API key, then do something like this, of course you'd pump a list into it instead of just a single computer, but..
$computer = "some computer"
copy-item -path "\\your server\your path\your exe.exe" -Destination "\\$computer\the computers administrative share\program files (x86)\TeamViewer\your exe.exe"
then do the same for the TV assignment tool, and your thinger.reg
enter-pssession $computer
cd 'whichever drive you used in the administrative share above:\program files (x86)\TeamViewer'
regedit /s thinger.reg
.\uninstall.exe /S /norestart
.\your exe.exe /S /norestart
.\TV assignment tool.exe -apitoken whatever your token is -datafile AssignmentData.json
del your exe.exe
del TV assignment tool.exe
del thinger.reg
exit-pssession

Incidently, this also seems to cure the issue where a computer might not take whichever policy you set in your management console.. although you may have to run it a couple few times depending on if the computer has had time to check in with TV or not..
Good luck :D

Posted by kmorrissey
Electron

Same here!   I I keep the password for backup purposes with IT Management but I still want to manage, rotate and enforce it via policy.

I don't know why this wouldn't have been included to begin with. If teamviewer at least had a policy to merge a reg file via command line I could use a GPO and script import a reg file with security settings. Which is not the right way to do this but at least an option. However teamviewer doesn't even allow that, that have to be imported during the MSI install or the GUI.

And of course if it is implemented it's applied to the policy it should have no reveal password button on the site. The only option should be to change it or leave it alone when managing that policy.

If some companies might purposely not want this feature then set it up so only account administrators can add or configure it. Even a user with Manage policies can be prevented. Just an idea if that's TeamViewers concern. Or even declare someone an account "owner" that has to enable the feature and the only one that can manipulate it.

Posted by itworksnz
Electron

I also want this,  I have over 1000 devices and want to reset the passwords via Policy.

Please implimenet it TV.

Posted by Brastax
Henagon

Hi TeamViewer Support

I have a Tensor lincense and doing  support for over 2700 Retail stores and 8 Distribusion centres in Different regions. You are looking at +-27000 devices we connect to daily and this is a big concern for me that we cannot change the password via the Policy.

I do understand that we need to Whitelist etc which I have done so BUT we have suppliers that are also in our license that have access to certain stores. This is a big security concern,  when one of the supplier employees is fired and still have login details which we are very unlikely to know who is fired of not from the Supplier perspective. They can cause huge damage to our systems. We are doing a cleanup of account that have not been logged in for more than 6 months.

Please your urgent assistance is required in this? We were using Dameware five years ago and I convinced the Business that TeamViewer is the way to go but now there's talks about going back to Dameware or investigate a new solution.. Please understand our Frustration..

Regards

Siseko Bukani (SPAR Group)

Posted by Kentain
Trigon

Um.. You have a Tensor licence.. have you looked into using SAML to address this?
https://www.teamviewer.com/en-us/teamviewer-tensor/single-sign-on/

Posted by Moderator Moderator

Hello @Brastax,

Thank you for your message.

This is a very crucial question, indeed.

In order to get the best support by our support engineers, please open a ticket via https://www.teamviewer.com/en/support/

We will be happy to answer all your question and to find the best settings for your use.

We wish you a good weekend.

Cheers

Jean

French Community Moderator
Did my reply answer your question ? Accept it as a solution to help others.
Find this helpful ? Say thanks by clicking on the Thumbs Up button.