Highlighted
Posted by troublebot
Electron

Meeting ID generator for catching Scammers

My co-worker periodically gets people calling attempting the "Teamviewer scam" where they claim to be from Microsoft or our ISP and have detected an issue with his computer.  If he has time, he plays along a little bit to waste their time (the more time they spend with him on the phone, the fewer potential marks they can contact).

Usually they lose patience and hang up the phone amid a tyrade of explatives, but periodically he gets them to the point where they ask for his TeamViewer meeting ID, so they can log-in and do whatever it is they intend to do.  This is usually where it stalls out.  Since they're requesting his ID, he has no way to identify them (other than to allow them to connect, which he obviously won't do).

I'm sure TeamViewer is trying its best to fight these scammers.  He just got off one of these calls and it occured to me that it would be helpful if TeamViewer had a page where a user could generate a fake but genuine-looking Meeting ID that, when the scammer attempts to connect, will flag their account/IP address/other info and allow TeamViewer to more quickly or automatically block them from continued access to the service.

I know it's unlikely to stop the scammers and there's little TeamViewer can really do to stop them beyond getting rid of free accounts (which would be extremely unfortunate) and block activity that seems suspicious.  But every little thing that can be done to make it harder for the scammers, or slow them down, is probably worth it.

1 Reply
1 Reply
Posted by Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Meeting ID generator for catching Scammers

Hi @troublebot

Thank you for this idea. I really appreciate that and I just wanted to let you know, that you are right: every little thing that can be done to make it harder for the scammers, or slow them down, is probably worth it.

Thanks again and all the best, Esther