Posted by drfsupercenter
Digon

Navigation bar issue with Samsung Galaxy S8

Hello,

I've been a long-time user of TeamViewer, both on computers and on my phone.

I just got the Samsung Galaxy S8, which is the first Samsung phone to not have physical buttons, and instead has the navigation bar at the bottom of the screen.  Additionally, the phone has a larger screen which is wider than 16:9, and has two options for running apps.  You can use "full screen" mode which exposes the entire resolution to the app, or you can use the sandboxed 16:9 mode, where the navigation and status bars can still be displayed without losing any picture from the running app.

It looks like TeamViewer runs in "immersive" mode, which hides the status and navigation bars.  If I use fullscreen mode, the TeamViewer operational buttons are right on top of where the navigation bar should be, so if I press too long where the Home button is, the OS goes back to the home screen!

So as a temporary fix, I've set the app to run in non-fullscreen mode, which prevents the second problem... except because it's running in immersive mode, the navigation bar gets hidden and I have to swipe up from the bottom to get it back.  It makes jumping between connections tricky, since the only in-app button is the X to close the connection; I often just return home and leave the session going in the background so I can switch to another session easily!

Is it possible to update the app to have a toggle option whether or not it should be run in "immersive mode"?  Using that with the non-fullscreen mode on the S8 would solve my issue - even better would be if TeamViewer could simply check for navigation buttons and keep them visible regardless of the aspect ratio; that way I could use fullscreen mode, get the slightly wider screen, but not lose out on the navigation buttons.  Other phones are following suit, like the LG G6 which has a wider-than-16:9 screen as well.

Thanks
8 Replies
Posted by DFain
Henagon

Re: Navigation bar issue with Samsung Galaxy S8

Same problem on S8 Edge+. Since your post was in April and it's now June 20th, with no other replies to your post and no change in the problem, it's apparent that TeamViewer doesn't review these messages. That's sad to learn! Guess we'll need to submit the feedback another way...

Posted by drfsupercenter
Digon

Do you have a paid license? I used to just email their support, but they sent me an auto-reply saying they're only helping paid customers now. :(

Posted by DFain
Henagon

No I don't, but I would still think they would fix an issue like that. The idea that not a single licensee isn't having this same problem is ludicrous. We'll see. I was able to use control via the PC interface and learned to keep the mouse well below the icon or button I wanted to press, beating it into submission. Controlling the S8 from my S7 was impossible. If us "free" users double as beta testers to identify problems, we are earning our keep, but only if they use our feedback to improve the product. Just my opinion...

Posted by demian
Photon

I don't know why but this may work for you too.

Run Teamviewer Desktop app first and Start Host app from S8 then the navigation bar will be removed.

If host is already running you have to kill it first. (or just reboot)

Posted by drfsupercenter
Digon

That's the exact opposite of what I wanted to do, I want to SHOW the navbar not hide it!

Posted by Jeeson
Photon

I have problem with the navigation bar on my S8 plus. My problem is that the key at the right side of my navigation bar (Either back button or recents button) doesn't respond properly. Only the right side button is more unresponsive. Earlier I had problem with the recents button that it was too much responsive. It automatically responds without even touching it. The touch on that area is working normally when using other apps.

Posted by danielwestgate
Henagon

So i have been working with Teamviewer on this issue. What android version are you running? we are running S8's on android 7, and don't have this issue with the navigation bar at the top of the screen, however, the home button at the bottom of the screen fails to work on 7. We upgraded the devices to android 8, and then the device worked perfectly. Hope you find this helpful.
Posted by Ballpaulmo
Henagon

Can anyone tell how to issue the navigation bar on PC connected window for note 8 when device is screen off ?

Many thanks