Posted by mLipok
Heptagon

Recent Contacts Feature - Turn Off/On

Please add configuration to turn On/Off the "Recent Contact" feature.

Regards,
mLipok , AutoIt MVP

Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others.
Find this helpful? Say thanks by clicking on the Thumbs Up button.

66 Replies
Posted by gregghill
Digon

Re: Recent Contacts Feature - Turn Off/On

This feature is INTENSELY ANNOYING!!! in the Computers & Contacts list old-style listing. It takes up the space of ten devices and must be collapsed every single time I open C&C list.

Posted by gbab
Henagon

agreed annoying for me. Please add option to hide or turn off

Posted by Cookie
Digon

a) Add option to turn the feature off

or

b) move the recent contacts to the end of the list and leave it collapsed

It is totally annoying.

Posted by Harm
Photon

Try "delete" on a selected unused contact...

Posted by Cookie
Digon

Unfortunately this is not what my (and the other users' posting) was about.

We want the complete section removed, moved or switchable and not delete single, propbably obsolete contacts.

Posted by mLipok
Heptagon

I see this feature usefull only in few cases.

1. I work at my office and at my home (I'm an owner of small IT support company, and very often I finish some work at home), in that case this is usefull to continue recent work
  2. sombody have bigger project and work few days with few remonte station to test some development/testing progress on different machines
  3. maybe other but I do not find out which :)

I think this feature  would be much more usefull if on the right panel would be seen all last7 days comments for each contact, I mean seen without loging to console.

Regards,
mLipok , AutoIt MVP

Posted by mLipok
Heptagon

Related topic/IDEA:

https://community.teamviewer.com/t5/Ideas/Recent-quot-Comments-quot-in-TeamViewer-window-for-each-se...

Regards,
mLipok , AutoIt MVP

Posted by Hoser
Digon

I agree. My "Recent Contacts" list is getting larger all the time and this always shows on the top of the list and is useless. Why should I have to click the arrow to get rid of it when I don't want it to begin with and it is useless? We only need to know the basic two options. ONLINE contacts at the top and OFFLINE below that. There is also a Contacts from recent sessions thing on the bottom two which is different and I don't know why when recent sessions and recent contacts is the same and again this is useless.

Posted by Hoser
Digon

This is the most annoying thing. Why is this feature even there? It serves no purpose at all. My "Recent Contacts" list is getting bigger and bigger and getting in the way. I didn't ask for it to be turned on so why is it there? Also if you are working on a computer and restart it and want to reconnect you might inadvertenly click on a "Recent Contact" that has just signed in instead of clicking back on the computer you were working on. I have done this or something similar. Also there is a "Contacts from Recent Sessions" thing on the bottom. Why is that there and why is it different? That makes no sense. Hmm.. Recent Contacts and Recent Sessions. Same stupid thing. DOH!

Posted by fowldogs
Henagon

Agree with the others.  This "feature" is useless and completely annoying.  Please give us a way to turn it off.  

Posted by Adriaan
Henagon

How to get rid of the recent connections list? it gets in the way

I would like to find out how to turn off the Recent connections list? it takes up valuable space and is completely useless to me as I rarely connect to the same machine that often for the list to be of use.  Please advise where it can be switched off as it is a useless function for what I do. We support multiple sites country wide and this really just gets in the way.

Posted by brw111
Trigon

Re: How to get rid of the recent connections list? it gets in the way

I completely agree and have also complained about it!

Posted by Junaid
Digon

its really annoying please reply how?

Posted by Labsy
Digon

How to get rid of Recent Connections

Hi,

I apreciate TV team to add "Recent Connections" tree branch on top of connections list, but from my point of view it is annoying. Why? Because people's mind operates in some ORDER, likes to have items sorted out in KNOWN manner, so it can easily find the needed info.

But Recent Connections branch changes all the time, sometimes it is long list, sometimes short, it is not alphabetically ordered and especially if you have computers named the same, just under different branch, it might happen to see under Recent Connections two or three computers with the same name, which is useless.

So my approach is to REMOVE Recent Connections branch, because it just distracts me...but how? Could not find any option under settings to get rid of it.

Posted by jimi
Henagon

Another vote to make this etremely annoying feature (?) optional.

Posted by XeviaN
Photon

Same to me. Please add an option to turn it off.

Posted by KeyserSoze
Photon

If I could I would add 1,000,000,000 votes to make this an on/off option. One of the most annoying things ever in a program.

Posted by mLipok
Heptagon

Hey, people, calm down.

Look at it from the other side.
Please, think a little about the subject:

• How could the functionality be useful for me in the future?
  • What should I do to make it useful to me?

I have a modififed feautre request:

1. make it possible to turn off/ turn on
  2. make it possible to be always colapsed
  3. make it possible to configrue how many recent connection will be displayed
  4. make it possible to view recent comments saved by my co-worker/employer
  5. make it possible to share recent connections beetwen users (I want to easily see what was done by my co-worker/employer

In this scenario this will be very handy feature for managers.

Regards,
mLipok , AutoIt MVP

Posted by numberjack
Photon

NO feature that is cosmetic like this should be forced on with no off. ALL features on the GUI should have settings, on/off # of display, clear list, etc.

C'mon. Who is in charge of the GUI here?

Posted by mLipok
Heptagon

@numberjack wrote:

NO feature that is cosmetic like this should be forced on with no of

Please correct me if I am wrong but I probably reported as many as 5 changes?

@numberjack wrote:

ALL features on the GUI should have settings, on/off # of display, clear list, etc. 

I agree wiht that.

Regards,
mLipok , AutoIt MVP

Posted by SuperDeluxe
Photon

Re: How to get rid of Recent Connections

I too would like to know how to disable the "recent connections" option....I find it annoying as well as it only further clutters up the interface by adding redundant data.  TeamViewer developers, please allow this feature to be disabled in future updates.

Thanks,

Posted by EPSYS
Photon

Just click the down arrow on the left side to close the "Recent Connections" group. It seems that it stays closed until you restart TeamViewer. Hopefully the developers will add an option to remove it for those that do not want it or at least to remember if it should be close or not after restart.

Posted by bloort
Electron

I totally agree.

Posted by Tbird
Photon

Totally agree. Allow us to disable this option.

Posted by whateverbob
Photon

I also agree.

Recent Connections is redundant. I will never use it, if it can't be disabled at least let me move it to the bottom of the list out of the way.

Posted by foxtom
Electron

Same thing for me, don't need it, can't stand to see it, don't need to see it, wasting my time.

Please allow to disable this list or at least to hide it or move it down !

Posted by Ray_T
Digon

I agree with everyone else, while some may find this feature usefull, I don't.
It is not something I want and l should be able to turn it off
Highlighted
Posted by DamageTV
Henagon

Agree, wholeheartedly. This feature is useless and just wastes screen space.

Posted by innsyst
Electron

I'm with the "remove this feature" brigade. Or at least move it to the bottom and collapse it.

Thanks

Posted by Jeffo
Neutron

I agree completely.  Please allow us to toggle OFF the Recent Connections list.  Thanks!

Posted by Jacob1701
Photon

Please allow us to turn OFF recent connections.  Some computers I only log in once a month.  I do not want to see it all month....it just gets in my way.  

At least make TV remember thtat I have minimized recent connections.  It keeps opening it up fully.

Posted by HerbSomersal
Henagon

Another vote for the "Turn it Off" option.

Have a feeling it's not gonna happen though.

Posted by tamathumper
Henagon

Agreed!  I Googled this problem and logged in just to add my frustration with this "feature" to the conversation.

Posted by JPB
Henagon

Just want to add my vote to be able to disable the Recent Connections list in Computers & Contacts. TeamViewer is generally quite configurable, why was this forced on us? I have my computers organized in Groups and find this new "feature" nothing but annoying.

Posted by Weejum
Electron

Very good suggestions for creating options for this annoying feature and I have one too!  On the Computers & Contacts side panel, could the option be added to drag the Recent Connections category to the bottom where the Offline computers are showing? Oh, and make it stay there?

Posted by Daniel_Gligor
Digon

Please set the option for Turn On/Off. Is annoying.

Thanks.

Just a signature!
Posted by PaulG
Digon

I definitely need to add my vote to allow to disable this utterly annoying feature !
C'mon TeamViewer, don't play the Microsoft game to shove those "user experience improvements" down our throats (especially when they're not), without even letting us the choice to revert it, i.e. without even listening to your user base (part of it at least) and the frustration that such changes generate. Thanks for hearing us !

Posted by anthws
Trigon

DELETE takes it out of your entire list, not just RECENT.  So, if you maintain frequent contacts in the list, this approach is detrimental.

I would like to have the option to hide RECENTs.

Posted by HerbSomersal
Henagon

Wouldn't be so bad if the 'Recents' were below the 'Offlines' rather than the top

Have to assume the idea was to please the commercial licence holders.

Clearly the TV crew are not going to do anything about this.

Posted by mLipok
Heptagon

@mLipokwrote:

Hey, people, calm down.

Look at it from the other side.
Please, think a little about the subject:

• How could the functionality be useful for me in the future?
  • What should I do to make it useful to me?

I have a modififed feautre request:

1. make it possible to turn off/ turn on
  2. make it possible to be always colapsed
  3. make it possible to configrue how many recent connection will be displayed
  4. make it possible to view recent comments saved by my co-worker/employer
  5. make it possible to share recent connections beetwen users (I want to easily see what was done by my co-worker/employer

In this scenario this will be very handy feature for managers.

And it turned out that I was right.
Recently, it turned out that I personally even like this function.
However, I think all the comments I gather here are very correct and I hope that TeamViewer Developers will soon make appropriate changes to the users' voice.

Regards,
mLipok , AutoIt MVP

Posted by mLipok
Heptagon

As I said this will be more usefull for managers/admin 

For more information ... here is a related fature request:

https://community.teamviewer.com/t5/Ideas/Recent-Connection-for-oher-staff-user-co-worker/m-p/31035#...

Regards,
mLipok , AutoIt MVP

Posted by JMay
Proton

I agree a more non-confrontational tone  is needed on this topic & I very much agree with suggestions 1-3, 4 & 5 are valid but not as important to me.

I do find the Recent list annoying, mostly as I've spent time creating groups and then find the Recent list jumps to the top, expanded, takes up too much space and makes no reference to the group that the item was in.

1. Could the item's group name appear after the connection name?
  2. If the feature doesn't work for me, allow me to switch it off or keep it collapsed.

Posted by TeamViewer Staff
TeamViewer Staff

Just wanted to let everyone know that there has been a new release of TeamViewer v13. We have heard the concerns of our users and created the option to minimize the 'Recent Connections' group. 

Pleae update the application and enjoy using TeamViewer!

Posted by HerbSomersal
Henagon

Thanks Lamar. That seems to work!

Herb

@Lamarwrote:

Just wanted to let everyone know that there has been a new release of TeamViewer v13. We have heard the concerns of our users and created the option to minimize the 'Recent Connections' group. 

Posted by PaulG
Digon

Hello Lamar,

Thanks for this excellent news, which I was so eager to try and implement ! I must however be blind as despite my careful review of all TeamViewer's settings and options I could find  (namely in Computers & Contacts and in Advanced settings) I couldn't find anything that would even remotely identify or be labelled as an "option to minimize the Recent Connections group".

Would you please be so kind to point me (us) exactly where that desirable feature is hidden ?

Thanks in advance for your appreciated support !

Best regards,

Paul

PS: and yes I did an update before posting here again. I'm on version 13.1.1548 now.

Posted by xunil76
Henagon

@Lamarwrote:

Thank you, this is a huge help, but is still just the first step.

Why is there still no option to remove this list entirely if we want to?  If there was a setting in the "Options" area that said "Disable 'Recent Contacts' list" that you could either check or un-check, that would please everyone.  Those who want to use the list can leave it enabled.  Those like myself who never, ever want to see this list because it's utterly useless to us and just gets in the way can easily check the box, and voila!  we never have to see it again.

Just because a feature is deemed to be useful to a relatively small group of developers sitting around a boardroom table, does not mean that it will be a feature that everyone wants to use.  By always allowing the option to be either enabled or disabled (unless it's a core feature that is necessary for the product to work properly...which this is not) you can avoid threads like this in the future, where people have to express how utterly peeved off they are that you are forcing changes upon them.  Because that's the thing that makes my blood boil quicker than anything, when someone takes away my choice of whether or not to use something.

If there's anything you guys take from your users, it is this little bit of advice:  do. not. force. changes. with. no. option. to. disable. them. if. they. are. not. wanted.            E.v.e.r.

Why do you think so many people hate Microsoft right now, with the heaping, steaming pile of garbage that they call Windows 10?  Or Firefox for becoming more & more "Chrome-ified" every day and removing options that people like myself have utilized since day 1?

(Most) people like choice.  Take away their choice and they get peeved off.  This is not rocket science.

Posted by TeamViewer Staff
TeamViewer Staff

Hi Paul,

No worries, it's easy to overlook. When you are in the application, click on the address book icon and to the left of Recent Connections group, you will see a triangle. Just click on that and the group will minimize. The title will remain but it will not be constant drop down group.

Posted by Daniel_Gligor
Digon

Hi Lamar,

This option is available until the next reboot.

If you reboot the system the Recent Connections group is open again.

Please let us be able to keep it close all the time.

Thank you.

Regards,

Daniel Gligor

Just a signature!
Posted by HerbSomersal
Henagon

@Daniel_Gligorwrote:

Hi Lamar,

This option is available until the next reboot.

If you reboot the system the Recent Connections group is open again.

Please let us be able to keep it close all the time.

Thank you.

Regards,

Daniel Gligor

Daniel.

TV for Mac doesn't seem to have this issue (on my machine anyway). Once minimised it sticks, even after reboot

Herb