Announcements

Shape the future of the TeamViewer product with our Product Team. Click here to join!

Highlighted
Posted by mkahlert
Digon

Remote Control with Confirmation

I am ofting doing a remote control session with new users, that I don't have saved to my address book. I often have to use TeamViewer Hosts installed on the users machines, that have not been distributed by me, so often I don't know the password to start a new session.

My solution is to add a new entry to the contacts list with just the ID saved, and then right-click that entry, and start a remote control with confirmation. Very complicated and lots of clicks while have the user on the phone and waiting.

My suggestion: In the main window, I would like to type the ID, and then start the remote control directly without password, with the client machine asking for confirmation.

7 Replies
Posted by TeamViewer Staff
TeamViewer Staff

RE: Remote Control with Confirmation

Dear mkahlert,

Thank you for post.

What you described is actually expected behavior.

Since TeamViewer version 10 is it possible to connect to running host-service (at least with version 10 and newer).

I therefore suggest to use session codes. :smileyhappy:

To create a session code, Please follow the steps below:

SessionCode_1.png

Now you can see the session code, begins with s00-000-000 and have the possibility to send an email invitation:

SessionCode_2.png

Your customer has only click to the link.

SessionCode_3.png 

You will see the created session code in your Computer & Contacts list and in the notifications.

SessionCode_4.png

To start the session please double click on the session code, your customer simply has to accept.

I hope this solution is more efficient.

Did my reply answer your question? Please accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
Reyhan
Posted by mkahlert
Digon

Re: RE: Remote Control with Confirmation

Sorry, no, but that doesn't help...

Problem 1: Not everyone has an email address. At most customers, the computers in the showroom don't have an email client. The users there can't receive an email while in the showroom.

Problem 2: Emails take time, especially if the customer has some weird server config, e.g. an MS Exchange Server with POP3 Connector that is fetching email just every 5 or 10 Minutes.

Problem 3: What happens, if the client PC is running a TeamViewer Host, that is not part of my config? When the host is running, it is not possible to start an additional "normal" QuickSupport. It is hard to explain a dumb user, how to close a running host. Mostly they don't have administrative rights, so they also can't stop the service.

At my customers I am not in charge of the computer or server config, the clients are just running an app from me. So I cannot change there TeamViewer Host config, it is not my job to config or change their administration tools. And I also can't talk to hundreds of sysadmins (at every single one of my users) to add a TeamViewer password for me...

My suggestion would be: In the main window, add an option "Remote Control with Confirmation"...

Picture1.png

Posted by TeamViewer Staff
TeamViewer Staff

Re: RE: Remote Control with Confirmation

Dear mkahlert,

Thank you for your post. 

With the created session code you are able to connect to a running TeamViewer Host without changing any config. 

"Since TeamViewer version 10 is it possible to connect to running host-service (at least with version 10 and newer)."

Give it a try :smileywink:

In my opinion a Remote Control with Confirmation is a great idea. Thank you for your suggestion, I forwarded it to our product management.

Such ideas are always welcome, although I can not promise when or if this Feature will be implemented, as the decision is based on public demand. Nevertheless, your feedback is very important to us as we want to continue to develop TeamViewer based on our user's needs and demands.

If anybody else would like to have this feature, please give mkahlert post a kudo. :smileyhappy:

Did my reply answer your question? Please accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
Reyhan
Posted by elbea64
Tetragon

Re: Remote Control with Confirmation

Remote Control with confirmation is a must have! There are circumstances where nothing else works. I'm actually in the situation where a friend of me needs support for some software and they use TV to do this. My friend does not have a clue about computers, so i installed TV with unattended access and therefore i have removed any other possibility to connect to that host by password.
Now the support team asked him for a password that doesn't exist and that for good reasons. Now there's the problem that the support doesn't know how to connect. They have no idea of any workarounds. It looks like they do not know anything about adding a host to their contacts, so they could use "Remote Control with Confirmation" to connect.
Now i have to support my friend AND the support team of his software - what if i'm not available ... neither your customers nor my friend can use TeamViewer in this not so uncommon situation.

In my eyes this would be the most intuitive, secure and easiest way to use TeamViewer. No one would be concerned about too short passwords, no questions "who else can connect?" anymore, no passwords to transfer - simply do it ... on both ends.
This is not only a must have, this should be the standard setting for security reasons, as the current standard makes it possible to have a four digit password for a long time, if a customer doesn't stop TV after a support session, with hibernation, this could be the same password over weeks. There is already a topic here where a TV host was hacked, where i bet the 4 digit password was used to break in.

»We are all born unique, but most of us will die as a copy.«
Posted by mLipok
Heptagon

Recenlty I was asking about similar problem:
https://community.teamviewer.com/t5/TeamViewer-12/TV-Host-one-time-password/m-p/2103

This was also discused here:
https://community.teamviewer.com/t5/TeamViewer-11/Password-expire-after-one-connection/m-p/468

I think there is simple solution (to TV Staff: please treat it as FeautureRequest).

Just after download TVHost  from TV home page, there should be preset default values like in my following examples:

TVHost_Password_1.png

VERY SECURE PASSWORD (10 characters)
CREATE NEW PASSWORD (FOR EACH NEW CONNECTION)

Or ..... when TVHost instalation is in progress,  ...... then  TVInstaller should ask if random password (like in above example) should be visible/enabled.

If any company/corporation have other safety guidelines, then they can create a self-installation kit, with their required settings.

Regards,
mLipok , AutoIt MVP

Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others.
Find this helpful? Say thanks by clicking on the Thumbs Up button.

Posted by mkahlert
Digon

That's not a solution for me, because I am not the one who installs the Host. The Host is installed by 3rd-Party-Companies, which use it for their own business. I'm just an additional user to an existing Host, so I have no influence on their installation.

Posted by mLipok
Heptagon

There is no way to solve your problem.
As if TeamViewer in future will be have any of sugessted feature, then always will be:

• setting to disable it
  • a need to install new version (which mean that you ultimately must ask Admin to install new version)

Regards,
mLipok , AutoIt MVP

Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others.
Find this helpful? Say thanks by clicking on the Thumbs Up button.