Posted by bartlanz
Heptagon

Teamviewer IDs

Your website claims (as of this post) 1388808007 TeamViewer IDs. Yet every TeamViewer ID I have ever seen is only 9 numbers long. How does this work? Are you reusing ID's? If so how are you connecting people, or rather decifering which machine I should actually connect too?

If my post was helpful, Please throw me a Kudos.
If my post fixed your issue, please mark it as the solution to help the next person find a solution quickly.
Bart Lanzillotti
We Do IT USA
www.wedoitusa.com
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Posted by TeamViewer Staff
TeamViewer Staff
Solution

Re: Teamviewer IDs

Hi @bartlanz,

Each device running TeamViewer gets its own unique ID - they're not shared.

We have indeed generated over 1.3 billion IDs (yes, billion) - we passed the one billion mark back in October 2015. Over the years we've used IDs with seven, eight, and nine digits, and more recently, in some cases, we are also generating IDs with 10 digits.

Regards,
Jeremy
TeamViewer Quality Assurance Engineer
8 Replies
Posted by Supertramp
Trigon

Hi @bartlanz

I believe the ID is just the signature for other information that is transmitted when you connect to TeamViewer servers.

Just my opinion...

Regards

The real programmer does not interpret dreams. Just compile them
TeamViewer Staff
Solution

Hi @bartlanz,

Each device running TeamViewer gets its own unique ID - they're not shared.

We have indeed generated over 1.3 billion IDs (yes, billion) - we passed the one billion mark back in October 2015. Over the years we've used IDs with seven, eight, and nine digits, and more recently, in some cases, we are also generating IDs with 10 digits.

Regards,
Jeremy
Posted by Rocki7
Henagon

This doesn't even address the problem and completely avoids answering the question.

TeamViewer Staff

Hi @Rocki7,

Which problem are you referring to, specifically?

TeamViewer IDs are unique, not shared. Therefore, when you know the ID of a particular device, you can safely assume that no other device has that ID, and therefore, when you connect to that ID, you are connecting to that device.

An exception to this is if you have cloned a computer without preparing the image correctly, eg. creating a Windows image that includes TeamViewer preinstalled, but without following Microsoft's instructions correctly by using their sysprep tool to prepare the image. In that case, when the image is deployed, it could result in a duplicated ID on each cloned machine. For this reason it's very important to create cloned images correctly. We have a Knowledge Base article which covers that topic and explains how to avoid this.

Regards,
Jeremy
Highlighted
Posted by Rocki7
Henagon

Hmm!! I'm confused about how this relates to my query in any way?

3 Replies
TeamViewer Staff

Hi @Rocki7,

I'm confused as to what your query actually is. You referred to "the problem", but I don't know what problem you are experiencing. Please provide more specific details!

Regards,
Jeremy
Posted by Rocki7
Henagon

It's simple so can't understand where the confusion is. Both my laptop and desktop PC have the seperate ID's. When trying to connect to one from the other it requests the partner ID. It seems that we have to memorise the ID's in order to partner them. This is inconvenient. In our Teamviewer profiles it will list "All Computers". In my case it will list my PC and my laptop, yet their individual ID's are not included. Also, on the UI it prompts for "Show nearby contcts and devices". This option doesn't even function since it implies detecting nearby contacts and devices yet fails to do so.

TeamViewer Staff

Hi @Rocki7,

Thanks for clarifying what your question is. I can now see where your confusion lies. The answers I've given above have been in reference to the original poster's question in this thread - he asked how TeamViewer IDs are generated, and how TeamViewer knows which computer to connect to for a given ID. My replies have addressed that question.

However, you're referring to a separate question, which until now you had not provided here in this thread, and therefore I was unaware of it. As it's a new and different question, it really needs to be given as a new post - and I can see that you have, indeed, now created a new post with your question here. So I'll give you an answer in that post, and we can continue the conversation there, in order to keep this post here on-topic. :)

Regards,
Jeremy