Highlighted
Posted by brw111
Trigon

Trusted Devices Can't Be De-authorized!

I sometimes need to connect back to one of my own licensed computers when at a client site which already has my TeamViewer host module installed. I finally found out how to do this (online help and manuals useless!). For various valid reasons I choose not to use 2-factor authentication. So when I first make this connection from one of my client hosts back to my own computer it sends an email for authorization. Fine. However, there appears to be no way to de-authorize a computer once it's been authorized. This is unacceptable! Again, I realize with 2-factor this wouldn't be an issue, but I have my reasons for not wanting 2-factor. TeamViewer needs to think these things through before implementing.

14 Replies
Posted by Senior Moderator Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Re: Trusted Devices Can't Be De-authorized!

Hi brw111,

Thanks for your post!

The trusted devices process was introduced as an extra layer of security to make sure that people attempting to access others accounts cannot do so from their own computer. Most attempts of this nature also originate from locations far from where the original user is located and not from any device the user is likley to have used before.

As you mentioned, for extra security we do have the 2-factor option and we do strongly reccomend this.

However, this has been added as a feature request and if anyone else wants this feature, could you please Kudo to original post.

Thanks again for your contribution!

-Scotty

Senior Moderator
Did my reply answer your question? Why not accept it as a solution to help others?
Posted by Furty
Digon

btw the ability to remove trusted devices was already voted for here 30 times: https://ideas.teamviewer.com/forums/231603-ideas/suggestions/14796654-add-trusted-devices-in-managem...

Posted by mLipok
Heptagon

I agree with you.
I would also like to see a feature to:

1. list athorized devices in Management Console
  2. list athorized devices via TV API
  3. en masse and individually unauthorize them via TV MC and TVAPI
Regards,
mLipok , AutoIt MVP

Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others.
Find this helpful? Say thanks by clicking on the Thumbs Up button.

Posted by mLipok
Heptagon

@Furty wrote:

btw the ability to remove trusted devices was already voted for here 30 times: https://ideas.teamviewer.com/forums/231603-ideas/suggestions/14796654-add-trusted-devices-in-managem...

Just for note: currently 92 votes.

Regards,
mLipok , AutoIt MVP

Posted by ecxsystems
Digon

Noone reads these.  Has anyone noted how many requests for the ability to view licensed channels or save the login names has been requested?  TV Developers don't read the forums.

Posted by Senior Moderator Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Hi ecxsystems,

I can't speak for the developers (Although from what I know of them, they will read anything they can get their hands on) but as moderators we definitely read these posted in our community.

We also coalate this data and feed it directly back into our Feature requests that pull data from here, online links and also feedback that we have had from links.

All of this is fed directly back to development and management.

-Scotty

Senior Moderator
Did my reply answer your question? Why not accept it as a solution to help others?
Posted by pg
Henagon

make that over 300 votes !!! That is insane to not be able to de-authorize....

Posted by ecxsystems
Digon

I appreciate your comment.

However, If that's the case, you would think some comments would be made on these simple features.  Overall, just crickets from TV.

You added Authorizing users after that one "attack" or "perceived attack" nearly overnight, but months go by with no mention of allowing any sort of controls.  TVs response: crickets

I have seen hundreds of posts about allowing the "Logout" of used channels for users that walk away and leave their sessions connected.  Admins should be able to get those licenses back.  TV's response:  crickets or "buy more licenses"

There are hundreds of votes and Kudos on simply saving the LOGON NAME..heck forget the password.  Just the Email addy and save my fingers!!!!!!  TVs Response:  crickets

If this doesn't get addressed, our company has already looked at alternatives.  We have been using TV for 5 years.  

I have even opened tickets with Sales and support.  I get the same thing.  We will put in your request.  I honestly think that if it doesn't help TV sell more licenses, existing customers get the shaft.

My $0.02...anyone else have similar experiences?

Posted by Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @ecxsystems,

Thank you for your post.

As Scotty stated above has the idea of de-authorize a trusted device been added as a feature request into our system. We are aware of the high amount of votes and realize how important this is for you.

ecxsystems wrote:

I have seen hundreds of posts about allowing the "Logout" of used channels for users that walk away and leave their sessions connected.  Admins should be able to get those licenses back.  TV's response:  crickets or "buy more licenses"

As many of our user have requested this before, we have introduced a feature, which would solve the issue for you. You can find this feature in the advanced TeamViewer options and it is called Timing out inactive session

Timeout-inactive-sessions.png

If you enable this feature you can choose between different values of inactivity (30 minutes up to 8 hours).

If one of your team members forgot to close a session, the TeamViewer app will close this inactive session after the pre-defined time automatically.
This feature will ensure, that your TeamViewer channels are available again.

I recommend to enforce or assign this setting with a policy on all the computers of your employees to make sure, that all your employees have this feature enabled. In this article you can read more about the TeamViewer policies.

Please let me thank you for your help in making TeamViewer even better. I appreciate your ideas and I think that they are very useful for a lot of TeamViewer users.
I can ensure you, that our Product Management is aware of all your requests, but I cannot tell you, when or if these features will be implemented.

Please go on and provide our Product Management with your ideas. I am sure  @Christian_PM and @Ravi will gladly read and evaluate them.

Thank you for your understanding and your patience.
Best, Esther

Posted by mLipok
Heptagon

@Esther wrote:

If you enable this feature you can choose between different values of inactivity (30 minutes up to 8 hours).

30 minutes is definittly to long time

There should be ablility to set 5 , 15, ....

Regards,
mLipok , AutoIt MVP

Posted by DomLan
Heptagon

Hi,

I did not understand if the problem is to deauthorize a device or force the closure of a patently idle connection.

The new option allows you to achieve both objectives?

Thanks for the explanation.

Regards

Domenico Langone
MCSD: App Builder
Posted by Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi DomLan,

we are actually talking about both in this topic:

1. De-authorize trusted devices (this is at the moment a feature request) and

2. set the timing our inactive sessions function so that TeamVIewer closes "forgotten" sessions automatically (available in the TeamViewer advanced settings) to release the channels.

The timing our inactive sessions function does not de-authorize trusted devices.

I hope, this explains it :-)

Best, Esther

Posted by DomLan
Heptagon

Hi,

I believe that two distinct issues should be treated separately; also the objectives to be pursued are differents.

To deauthorize a client, since the mechanism requires a web component, clean the browser's cache can realize it at the moment (the same used to operate the authorization).

No, this not explain it.

Regards

Domenico Langone
MCSD: App Builder
Posted by fwtech
Photon

Sign into your profile on the Teamviewer.com page and then go to Edit Profile in the top right. You can click active logins on the left tabs and delete all or specific active logins. To my knowledge this will require a new add device pop up the next time someone tries to use that device. Facebook and several other social services have this same feature to see approximately where people are logged in at and you can kick off bad connections and create a new password to just be safe.