Highlighted
Posted by pmania
Henagon

Two factor authentication every time someone connects to your computer

Hello is it possible to always ask for a two factor authentication on every connection being made ? Also after losing connection to re ask for a two factor authentication, since only passwords are unsafe. And since if someone knows your teamviewer id they can still only connect with a password only, don't ask me how anyone could get your teamviewer id!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Posted by Former Staff Katharina
Former Staff
Solution

Re: Two factor authentication every time someone connects to your computer

Hi pmania,

Thank you for your post!

At the moment, two-factor authentication only applies to your TeamViewer account, but not to the connection to individual machines.

However, if you would like to use two-factor authentication to level up the security of your connections in general, I would recommend using the “easy access” feature. You will find this option under “Unattended Access” in the main window of your TeamViewer client. Once you have set up “easy access”, your TeamViewer account will be able to connect to the device in question without having to give a password. That in itself does not make the connections safer, but it will allow you to disable both the personal and random password on that device (“Extras > Options > Security > Personal password”).

Once there is neither a personal nor a random password, only your account will be able connect to the machine in question (thanks to “easy access”, your account does not need a password to connect). Since your account is protected by two-factor authentication, connections to the devices in your account would consequently be protected by two-factor authentication as well.

Another way of protecting your remote machines would be to set up a whitelist under “Extras > Options > Security > Rules for connections to this computer”. If you are using a whitelist, only those accounts that appear on the whitelist will be able to connect to the device. Connections from any other account will not be accepted, even if the user who is trying to connect knows both the ID and the password.

I hope this is helpful. If you have any other questions regarding two-factor authentication or the security of your TeamViewer connections in general, don’t hesitate to let me know.

All the best,

Katharina

Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks!
1 Reply
Posted by Former Staff Katharina
Former Staff
Solution

Re: Two factor authentication every time someone connects to your computer

Hi pmania,

Thank you for your post!

At the moment, two-factor authentication only applies to your TeamViewer account, but not to the connection to individual machines.

However, if you would like to use two-factor authentication to level up the security of your connections in general, I would recommend using the “easy access” feature. You will find this option under “Unattended Access” in the main window of your TeamViewer client. Once you have set up “easy access”, your TeamViewer account will be able to connect to the device in question without having to give a password. That in itself does not make the connections safer, but it will allow you to disable both the personal and random password on that device (“Extras > Options > Security > Personal password”).

Once there is neither a personal nor a random password, only your account will be able connect to the machine in question (thanks to “easy access”, your account does not need a password to connect). Since your account is protected by two-factor authentication, connections to the devices in your account would consequently be protected by two-factor authentication as well.

Another way of protecting your remote machines would be to set up a whitelist under “Extras > Options > Security > Rules for connections to this computer”. If you are using a whitelist, only those accounts that appear on the whitelist will be able to connect to the device. Connections from any other account will not be accepted, even if the user who is trying to connect knows both the ID and the password.

I hope this is helpful. If you have any other questions regarding two-factor authentication or the security of your TeamViewer connections in general, don’t hesitate to let me know.

All the best,

Katharina

Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks!