Announcements

First Step Guides

1. Are you new to TeamViewer and Home Office and need some help? Check out our FAQ here.
  2. New to the Remote Access Plan? Find our first steps FAQ here.
  3. Are you new to blizz and online meetings or classes and need some help? Check out our FAQ here.

Highlighted
Posted by Remote Management Staff
Remote Management Staff

Introducing the new TeamViewer Backup

We have redesigned TeamViewer Backup from ground-up with efficiency, security and reliability in mind.

First TeamViewer Backup was released in 2016 and since then we learned a lot about File backups and what users need from their backup application.

With the new TeamViewer Backup, we completely redesigned the technical architecture by using modern standards, which will cater for future developments for new features and scalability.

Improvements and New Features:

• Faster installations
  • Faster backup uploads (without bandwidth throttling)
  • Faster backup restores
  • Better statuses and notifications.
  • Better exclusions and inclusions using wildcards (*) in file paths.
  • Completely re-engineered AES 256 encryption, where the data is only available to the logged-in account.
  • Backup data to the nearest and fastest data centre in your region, we use Amazon Web Services as a storage provider. (E.g. Germany – Frankfurt Datacenter, France - Paris Datacenter)

Coming up soon:

• Policy-based custom retention. This will enable you to save up space. (will be released in a few days)
  • Reworked and improved Delete backup functionally. Keep only the backup data you really need.  (released)
  • Receive an E-mail when TeamViewer Backup was uninstalled from a device.
  • More detailed information when a backup fails with reasons and recommendations.

Requirements:

• Works with TeamViewer 14.4 and newer.
  • TeamViewer 11, 12,13 support is available. When Activating from the Management console Backup on older versions of TeamViewer the New TeamViewer backup will be installed.
    • Please check that TeamViewer is at its latest version.
      • TeamViewer 11.0.214397
      • TeamViewer 12.0.214399
      • TeamViewer 13.2.36216
  • Windows 7 or later.
  • Any modern browser for the Management Console operations.

Migrate to the new TeamViewer Backup:

Since the new TeamViewer Backup is a complete redesign of the entire application a simple update for the old version to the new one was not feasible.  For an easier transition, a migration assistant is available in the Management Console.

Product Owner, Remote Management services.
15 Replies
Highlighted
Posted by
Electron

Re: Introducing the new TeamViewer Backup

So is there ability to work with TV 11 planned?   I still have my perpetual corporate license for this product and would consider using your backup if it worked with this older product.   At this time I am not planning to move to a monthly TV subscription model.

Highlighted
Posted by
Electron

Well I have to say, so far I am impressed, i did a test deployment on one v11 client, the policy for advanced required me to know the paths, in my case c:\user\xx and c:\user\public.   so that wasn't great (since it would have been nice to have the actual directory from the client).   The process is still underway, says 0% storage used.   However, and this is the "great" part of this, I was able to go onto the client machine and restore about 100 MB of files into an alternate location.   

This seems like a good option for a VAR that has an old license kicking around, and wants to use it to provide a low cost managed solution for small amounts of data.  Will update again once it all completes, but so far looks like it might work with v11.   And on the client side its simplicity is what really makes it good.   Backup files every 2 hours and if they want to restore, dead easy.

Highlighted
Remote Management Staff

Hi @Keevantage 

Thanks for the post. 

Currently, TeamViewer V11 gets the old version of Backup. Only TeamViewer 14 has the ability, for now, to activate and update to the new Backup. 

During this week we will release Other versions of TeamViewer which will support the new Backup version and the possibility to update to the new version. 

We will post the changes in this thread by modifying the requirements list. 

Highlighted
Posted by
Henagon

I have just noticed that I cannot now restore a backup if I am not the "user" linked to a "device". This seems like a ridiculous "enhancement" to me. I work in a team of people and any one of us needs to be able to access and restore the backed up data.

Is this a new feature?

Can this be my choice to limit the restore feature to the account associated with a device?

Remote Management Staff

Hi @GarethStuga 

Thanks for the message. 

This was the same behaviour as the OLD Backup. The general problem is Security vs convenience.  We are working on the architecture which will permit cross-team collaboration between multiple accounts in the same Company profile. We are aiming somewhere in Q2 2020 to have a very secure way of accessing backups by multiple accounts form the same company profile.  Thanks for understanding. 

As a workaround Its always good to have a master account which does the assignation and other accounts which manage different operations. Once a backup is needed a simple relog should solve this. 

3 Replies
Highlighted
Posted by
Henagon

Thanks Stanislav, that makes sense

If I create a master account, is there a way of bulk changing all assigned accounts remotely - all my devices are running TV Host...?

Highlighted
Remote Management Staff

Hi @GarethStuga 

let me check that and see what would be an easier way to do this operation. I will edit my response tomorrow.

Highlighted
Posted by
Photon

Bump

Highlighted
Posted by
Electron

Ok,

Is there a way to migrate all our backed up data to new one automatically or we have to do this again from scratch?