Emojis & Development Priorities -- Re: [Update: 13.0.9865] File Transfer & Chat

lingfish
lingfish Posts: 4 ✭✭

I don't get it... emoji and chat before putting in Presentation mode?!?

It may be true, but I fail to see how "users" wanted chat more than Presentation Mode from an app who's primary focus is presentation of screens and remote control.

Comments

• area51pilot
    area51pilot Posts: 9 ✭✭

Just explaining the issues.  When Im forced to pay $600 for a subscription to something that is stripped down in usage because its not ready to be a full support tool?  Im forced to use it when Windows clients are on version 13.x

I could care less about stupid emoji and will pick up a phone if I have something to say.  My main issues are with unattended remote access usability on an Ubuntu/Debia linux system and screen rendereing issues under the native xOrg display.  File transfers are a useful tool in my business but I always have Google Drive to count on for that.

All this after having to resolve dependancy issue to install.

...how about some productive, problem solving comments?

Have a great day!

@lingfishwrote:

I don't get it... emoji and chat before putting in Presentation mode?!?

It may be true, but I fail to see how "users" wanted chat more than Presentation Mode from an app who's primary focus is presentation of screens and remote control.

• lingfish

@area51pilotwrote:

Have a great day! 

Huh?  Are you replying to me?  I wasn't addressing you, I was posting to TeamViewer...

• cowst
    cowst Posts: 8
    What's your productive, problem solving comment?

More than one person wonders how it is possible that chat happens to be more requested than features that would define this product for what it is (or was?).

And as Staff said, the above is what defines which features are worked on.
    So repeating what we think is important is as problem solving as it goes, because I don't see the option of working on features myself :)
  • area51pilot

apologies...not to you directly...should have been to main thread.

just frustrated my job is hindered after handing over another sum of cash to update to the next version.  

@lingfishwrote:

@area51pilotwrote:

Have a great day! 

Huh?  Are you replying to me?  I wasn't addressing you, I was posting to TeamViewer...

• lingfish

@area51pilotwrote:

apologies...not to you directly...should have been to main thread.

just frustrated my job is hindered after handing over another sum of cash to update to the next version.  

Ok man, all good :)  and I hear you re money!

• area51pilot

the productivity of the comment would be to stop crticizing the priority of some features when you cant even have the most basic features available and usable! (unattended access, access to the login screen on a *nix system and file transfers)

I dont know about you but I rely on unattended access on Linux systems (becasue we run a mixed OS environment). If you cant make the version usable as an administrative tool on Linux then dont require the version that does work to be upgraded to a newer one even if the client is on it.  That would have been a better scenario until the bugs were worked out. ..require the upgrade to match versions at that point.

why pay for a tool that doesnt work? yet the website states these features now work?

I'd like to sell you a car that flys

• cowst
    I think I wrote the first reply in this thread meaning a very similar thing.
    Emojis take the worst out of us :)
  • area51pilot

agreed .. I honestly wouldnt care and would have waited to upgrade from v12 to v13. It was working great for me. 

I think what gets me the most is being forced to upgrade in order to have any ability to work on a system with v13 from my v12 system. If they had put a grace period in between version connection mandates I would have held back until it was working with minimal issues. (at which time forcing an upgrade is more understandable)

anyway ... nuf said ... horse dead ... wine time!

@cowstwrote:
    I think I wrote the first reply in this thread meaning a very similar thing.
    Emojis take the worst out of us :)

:D

• DanielStm
    DanielStm Posts: 224 Staff member 🤠

@area51pilot, @lingfish, @cowst, C'mon guys... really? That many comments with that little constructive value? To make it clear: Reading them took me longer than any of us developers spent on Emojis. And I mean that literally. That's why they are broken. They came for free, but they came broken. That's how we left them. If you'd like to further elaborate on them, please open a separate thread. Thanks.

It never ceases to amaze me how so many people think that exactly the one feature they personally miss the most must definitely be the one the majority misses. Have a look at the survey results presented in the previous announcement. Yes, indeed, more people missed the chat than the meeting. Additionally, chat took about a week, basic meeting will take at least a month.

That out of the way, we can focus on shaping the future. If you have a constructive comment, keep it short, precise, to the point. That helps a lot with keeping track. If you need troubleshooting, please open a new topic and explain the situation in detail. Chances are, the problem goes away pretty fast.

Thanks,

Daniel

Linux Developer
  • lingfish

@DanielStmwrote:

@area51pilot, @lingfish, @cowst, C'mon guys... really? That many comments with that little constructive value?

I would say my original post had plenty of constructive value, based on your website front page blurb: "Empowering secure remote desktop access and support" and "Collaborate online anytime, anywhere. Use online meeting tools for simple, fast collaboration".

It never ceases to amaze me how so many people think that exactly the one feature they personally miss the most must definitely be the one the majority misses. Have a look at the survey results presented in the previous announcement. Yes, indeed, more people missed the chat than the meeting.

I think this comment is unfair.  Again, based on the fact that your products primary goal isn't chat, or file transfer, but remote access & presentation, how can that not be considered something missed?!  I concede your survey appears to say otherwise, but hey, they too can be skewed (I actually didn't even know there was one.)

Being a developer myself, what I fail to get is that the code for remote access is already there, working fine... presentation mode should merely be a minor tweak to all the hard effort already put into RA!

I personally appreciate the efforts made here, I really do.  On face value, I just didn't get the priorities with your efforts to make the Linux version on par with the Windows one.

• area51pilot
    No disrespect...but considering Linux servers power a majority of the web, I don't see why the most popular distro's aren't at least supported. I know Windows is easier for people to use but that excludes the other highly used alternatives. It's a bit narrow minded
  • cowst
    In order to be constructive I need to understand better 2 things :
    1-what is forcing people to go 13? Can't they just keep clients and servers in 12 until 13 has the desired features?
    2- maybe i tried them to early, but any version i ever tried, never really had any proper sufficient remote features (again pointing to the fact that if I connect to my office workstation, everybody sitting nearby can see and take control of it). So from that aspect staying with older versions brings me nothing.
  • DanielStm
    DanielStm Posts: 224 Staff member 🤠

For many people, both filetransfer and chat are essential parts of giving remote support. That's just how it is. Also, as I've tried to explain, it was much more cost-effective to add them first.

We are pretty confident that we have our priorties straight, based on user demand. We adapt based on feedback. But feedback of the form "I don't get how X can be a priority" does not help us. It just demands me to explain why that priorty is correct, taking time I'd rather like to spend on implementing the features you actually want. Therefore, please just state what you miss or is not working properly.

@lingfish Beeing a developer yourself, you probably understand that things can appear very different from the outside. I know for a fact that meeting will take longer than C&C + Chat + Filetransfer took together.

I personally appreciate the efforts made here, I really do.  On face value, I just didn't get the priorities with your efforts to make the Linux version on par with the Windows one.

Thanks, that's good to hear :robotvery-happy:
    Believe me, I wished the transition was smoother. But in a few months you will never want to go back to a Wine-based TeamViewer.

@area51pilot as I said, for trouble-shooting please open separate topics with detailed descriptions. The topics you touch are almost impossible to completely cover with QA, just for the fact that so many different configurations exist "in the wild". And most likely, it has more to do with your specific hardware/driver combination that with the distribution you are on. Unattended access also relies on information provided by display managers, which can be buggy. We submitted patches for gdm, but we can not force them to use them.

Regards,

Daniel

Linux Developer
  • JNA
    JNA Posts: 6

Sorry to not agree with you, but I couldn't care less than presentation mode. For us, Teamviewer is about remote supporting. And we're remote supporting people with our industrial machines at their facilities in foreign countries. The environment can be noisy, the people on the over side not very fluent in English. So yes, file transfer and chat are our primary concerns wrt the new version of Teamviewer. 

I don't claim that our use case is the only one, but I guess it sits on the larger part of the Pareto.