Livecd / liveusb

Qutbudn
Qutbudn Posts: 2 ✭✭

Greeting all, we use teamviewer as our corporate remote access software for sites all over the world. I always thought it would be good for troubleshooting PC's running Windows that won't boot to have a live cd or live usb on site that the users could connect to their computer, load up the live media and it opens TeamViewer straight away.

Is this something that TeamViewer is doing already, or has anyone rolled a live cd that does this kind of thing?

Comments

• gavinp
    gavinp Posts: 1

This would be awesome for remotly fixing windows 10 MBR faults.

• Qutbudn
    Qutbudn Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Exactly, that would be the primary use case.

I was thinking you could also roll in today live CD some kind of AV software to remove tricky viruses, opportunities are endless.
  • dstsc
    dstsc Posts: 1

It's been a while - any progress on this matter? A small livedistro launching TV-QS would be much helpful :)

• TotalPC
    TotalPC Posts: 87 ⭐Star⭐

I've not tried it yet, but you've got me thinking that's a great idea. I'm going to install linux on a thumb drive, slap QuickSupport on the desktop, then I should be able to remote into just about any system that can boot from the thumb drive.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers!
    -Josh

TeamViewer user since version 6 (2010). We used other remote software programs (TVNC UVNC PCAny) for many years before.
  • TotalPC
    TotalPC Posts: 87 ⭐Star⭐

I’ve successfully completed the proof of concept portion. Using Rufus I Installed Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon 64bit onto a thumb drive with persistent storage.

Rufus Settings for Linux MintRufus Settings for Linux Mint

I first tested it with QuickSupport, couldn’t get it to load at first due to a winetweak error which I found a workaround for here. It then worked perfectly. Then as another test, I installed the full version of TeamViewer and set it to start up with the OS. I now have LiveUSB that all the user has to do is boot it, then provide me with the TeamViewer ID and random password. Most of the changes I make to TeamViewer’s settings stay, but each system I’ve connected it to is, not surprisingly, assigned a new ID.

Haven’t loaded or tested any useful tools or gone into all the TeamViewer settings. Going to play with it more as I have time to see if I can somehow get it so I can access the system without needing the user to provide the TeamViewer ID and Password at all. But, with what I have now, I should be able to remotely access any system that can boot a USB drive regardless of the state of the native OS.

Thanks for sparking my interest! Maybe I will do a tutorial video and post it to YouTube in the future.

Cheers!
    -Josh

TeamViewer user since version 6 (2010). We used other remote software programs (TVNC UVNC PCAny) for many years before.
  • Fred64
    Fred64 Posts: 3 ✭✭

I have been trying some WinPEs. So far, none have been able to run TeamViewerQS, which I assume would be the simplest to get working. Tried Hiren'sPE and Strelec's so far.