TeamViewer and scamming

fips
fips Posts: 8 ✭✭

Hi there,

This morning I had a scammer on my Linux system (openSuSE Leap 42.3). It seems as if he wasn't able to write into my Windows directories? Is it possible that any data from  Firefox, Thunderbird or Star Money has been uploaded? How about scripts in my Linux home-directory?

I would like to upload my logfiles with the "report a scam" form. But it doesn't seem to work currently?

--

Thanks,
Felix

Comments

• fips

I have just checked the log files: they contain neither string "home" nor "windows". So am I on the safe side?

• fips

In my point of view the default settings should be more strict: f.e. file transfer is allowed by default even whithout having to be confirmed (full access mode)! Also I would not grant access to the teamviewer application itself.

The scammers very quickly started at least two sessions to my computer: remote administration and file transfer. I did not expect file transfer to be started as well. Particularly as it was running in the background on the scammers' host and I had no control at all over what was going on there. They also tried to execute commands in the teamviewer application running on my computer:

Thanks God access to my file system was restricted wtih user privileges (no root access?) and they could more or less only write into my home directory. I am also glad that Teamviewer for Linux isn't as excessive with (configuration) features yet as Teamviewer for Windows. This must have been very confusing for my poor scammers as well.

• Esther
    Esther Posts: 4,052 Former Community Manager
    edited October 2021

Hi Felix,

can you please report the scam via this site: Report a Scam

Thank you,

Esther

Former Community Manager

• fips

Good morning Esther,

have you looked into my logfiles already?

What do you think about the idea to be more restrictive with teamviewer's default settings?

--

Happy Easter holidays,
    Felix