teamviewer 14 for linux won't sign in.

I installed the new teamviewer 14 for linux on fedora 29. It worked great until the 2nd time I went to use it. Started up the system and it will not even sign in to the account. if I put in the id for one of my systems it says teamviewer is not running on that system even though 2 other systems signed in to it and out again. Tried restarting and various attempts including sign in over web but this system will not do anything.

Comments

• GS3
    GS3 Posts: 10

I have the same problem after updating to V 14.2.8352.with Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya. It will not sign in and so I do not see my own computer number.

Different issue: I have noticed that in Windows TeamViewer remembers the other computer id numbers but in Linux I have to type them in each time.

• GS3

Well, reinstalling Teamviewer seems to have solved the problem, at least for now.

• macgyver
    macgyver Posts: 4
    Yes, reinstall solve the problem until the next time I restart then the problem is right back. This seems to be a glitch the programmers need to fix
  • GS3

Yeah, still having the same problem. I see many people complaining about Teamviewer 14 and Linux/Ubuntu. Someone messed up and nobody is correcting it. 

• GS3

Weeks later. Still not working. Very frustrating. 

Even after updating Teamviewer it is still not working.  It says it cannot connect but all other programs can connect just fine.  Very frustrating.

And logging in is a pain. Every time I have to go through the confirmation email to trust the device and the CAPTCHA se veral times. Really.

• Domo83
    Domo83 Posts: 8

Same problem here.
    What I have noticed is, if you left teamviewer running it will eventually sign in anyway. It can take anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour. So if you use teamviewer frequently it's best to left it running in the background as a temporal solution... or switch to Google Public DNS servers.

A simple test. Run nslookup with your current DNS settings and with Google Public DNS against any of teamviewer servers, i.e:

[username@localhost ~]$ nslookup router5.teamviewer.com

If you will see any "failed: timed out" entries, then try:

[username@localhost ~]$ nslookup router5.teamviewer.com 8.8.8.8

This time it should complete without any errors. If so, go ahead and alter your internet connection to use Google Public DNS servers -- 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. After this teamviewer should work and sign in as intended.

Those are workarounds, but initial problem should be addressed properly.

• GS3

Nope. Still not working for me. No DNS problem here. And all other programs can access the INternet without problem. Only Teamviewer has this problem. It seems it has trouble connecting to its servers. Even if it manages to log in and get its ID it will often say Teamviewer is not running on the other computer when it is running. It seems it cannot connect to the server. Teamviewer 14 is seriously messed up and it seems nobody at Teamviewer cares in the least.

• GS3

And, I do not know if this might be related but every single time I log in here to post the site says my device is not recognized and has to send an email to confirm. Every single time. It is a pain. I wonder if it may be related.

• GS3

The more I deal with this problem the more I think it is really a communications problem. So even when TV manages to log in it will sometimes report the other computer is not connected and running TV when in fact it is. The problem seems to be with TV not being able to communicate fast enough with the Internet. I wonder if it is strictly a TeamViewer problem or if Linux has a part in it. Maybe some miscommunication between TeamViewer and Linux. I do not have enough knowledge to diagnose further. Still, very frustrating.

• macgyver
    macgyver Posts: 4

The problem has been solved, or at least a work around posted.

TV does not work with wayland graphics so if the computer you are trying to call into is using that, you will have to switch it back to "X".

The computer you are trying to call from, can use wayland. However there is an issue in TV and you will have to restart the service then you will be able to connect and see what is online. I use fedora, command is  sudo systemctl restart teamviewerd

adjust for your linux distro but this is working until TV fixes the issue.

• GS3

I am not knowledgeable enough to really understand all that and in a way it does not make sense because the problem with TV in my Linux computer is that it just does not log in or communicate. It happens long before it tries to communicate with another computer.

On the other hand this problem only appears in my Linux machine and does not happen in my wife's machine which has exactly the same HW and SW configuration except for the video card where she is using the MoBo Intel video and I am using NVidia 730 so it makes sense that it may be related to the video card.

I tried using the Intel graphics but I messed up to the point where I thought the computer would not boot and I would have to reinstall Linux but after a couple hours of messing around I have managed to boot and log in. Interestingly I have a new NVidia icon in the system tray which was not there before. It has some configuration choices like Xserver and OpenGL. For now, having just been burnt, I am not going to touch anything but I may try to see if changing the video configuration resolves this problem.

I should note that before all this the problem was intermittent, not permanent. At times TV would work well but most of the time it would just hang.

Thanks for your input.

• GS3

Well, it's been months and TeamViewer still doesn work for me. This is extremely frustrating and made worse because when I try to log into this forum everytime I have to go through the rigamarole of "untrusted device" even though I choose "trust this device" every time.

At any rate, I have an NVidia video card and I can see a "control panel" for it with many different settings. Is there anything I can change there so that TV will work on this computer?NV01.png

• GS3

Many months have gone by and the issue continues unresolved. I was hoping version 15 might solve it but it continues.  It is very frustrating having to wait long times in hope that the program might log in... or not.

On top of that bad experience I am now getting messages saying I am suspected of using the software commercially which is ridiculous as I only use it seldomly to connect to one single computer which belongs to my inlaws. Just to keep it updated.

So, with regret, I now will try to find another similar software which works. I definitely would not recommend using TeamViewer with Linux.