Linux Mint 18.3 - No longer able to connect to login screen after upgrading from Teamviewer 9

Altersoundwork
Altersoundwork Posts: 5 ✭✭

Hi all,

We have an office with around 40 PCs. All PCs run Linux Mint 18.3 KDE (mdm)

We used to run Teamviewer 9 and it's able to connect to the login screen just fine so no one needs to be logged in for the IT dept to connect to their PC.

We've just upgraded to Teamviewer 13 since 9 doesn't work on the upcoming Mint 19 (newer kernels and so on). However, we're still on Linux Mint 18.3 and connections to the login screens no longer work, the PCs just appear as offline until soneone logs in.

Autologin is not an option.

Note that this has nothing to do with Wayland, Mint 18.3 is based on Ubuntu 16.04.1

Any helps would be appreciated!

Comments

• Altersoundwork

Linux Mint 18.3 // mdm or lightdm login

In both scenarios, Teamviewer 9 works just fine. The moment we upgrade to Teamviewer 13, it stops working (i.e. users needs to be logged in).

Auto-login is NOT a solution, we use Teamviewer internally to connect to all pcs in the building. Each PC can be logged in with any user (LDAP) so auto-login is not a solution.

We literally just upgraded to Teamviewer 13 as we plan to upgrade to Mint 19 with 4.15 kernels. We need this fixed or we need a refund for the upgrade, it's that simple. I don't understand how such an essential functionality can be lost through upgrades of the same program.

• DanielStm
    DanielStm Posts: 224 Staff member 🤠

As it is unrelated, I moved your message to a new topic.

TeamViewer 13 works fine with Mint 18.3 and Mint 19.
    Because Auto-Login is not the solution to your problem, nobody here proposed it to you.

If you want to report a bug, you can use the feedback form inside TeamViewer, or get in contact with support. If you need a refund, get in contact with support. If you want a problem solved by the community, state the problem.

Most likely, your TeamViewer is not configured properly. Make sure "start with system" is enabled. Also, reset the password. That might do the trick.

If not, please run "teamviewer ziplog", attach it to a new support ticket and desribe what happens when you attempt to connect.

Linux Developer
  • Altersoundwork

Good afternoon DanielStm,

I realized this shortly after posting, while it seems to be the same symptoms and fundamental issue, the original thread did mention only TV 11 and 12 so created another thread -> https://community.teamviewer.com/t5/Linux/Linux-Mint-18-3-No-longer-able-to-connect-to-login-screen-after/m-p/36937 which is somewhat more detailed. How do we proceed, do we close one of them?

So, Teamviewer 13 does work fine on Mint 18.3 & Mint 19 in regards to its core functionality, the issue as mentioned is the fact that someone needs to be logged in (this was not the case in Teamviewer 9, you could connect to a PC that was sitting at the login screen).

At this point I'm not sure if this is a bug or a removed functionality so would like to clarify this before finding out if a refund is needed and we need to find an alternative (since Teamviewer 9 doesn't work on current kernels.

Our teamviewer does have the "start with system" option enabled. I will try the reset password suggestion and see if this changes anything and report here. If it doesn't I will raise a support ticket.

Thank you

• DanielStm
    DanielStm Posts: 224 Staff member 🤠

Okay, I just merged the two topics.

It's definitely not a removed functionality. Before I posted, I had specifically ensured it still works on Mint as intended.

The thing is, this feature can (did, and likely will) break every other distro release or desktop manager update. It works for lightdm and sddm, but has been broken with gdm for years, even though we submitted a patch to gdm.
    The reason is, there is no standardized way to do this. Rather you could say, it has never been intended to be able to do this.

However, I think your problem is completely unrelated to these maintenance nightmares on our side. The way your password was stored in TV9 is incompatible with TV13 and that's why I guess that's your problem. If not, you have to add more details on the steps you do and what you observe.

Cheers,
    Daniel

Linux Developer