Plans for 64 bit version on Debian/Linux

Are there any plans for making a native x64 version for Linux? Current status is that Teamviewer requires multiarch which is unsatisfactory as it requires to add a special architecture just for Teamviewer.

Comments

• Leosenko
    Leosenko Posts: 14

Unfortunately, host version does not provide the capability to connect to other devices running teamviewer so this is not a useful solution for me. The best, of course, would be to have fully 64bit teamviewer natively under linux. Are you planning this?

• DanielStm
    DanielStm Posts: 224 Staff member 🤠

It is not our intention to maintain two different UI types (Wine/Qt) forever. Currently we focus on improving the Host. Eventually it will also serve as a foundation for other packages, I hope :robotwink:

Linux Developer
  • I need a working solution for my wife and kids and grandkids that includes 64-bit Operating systems, and Teamviewer 12.0.76279 only has 32-bit libraries that Debian 9.1 can't/won't use. My desktop is Debian Linux 9.1 - I used to have to support Microsoft users in a former job before I retired, hence my aversion to Windows... Teamviewer worked fine under previous versions but suddenly this tool is no longer installable.

I can certainly understand not wanting to support two separate architectures, but for quite some time computers have been 64-bit... I remember the struggles when 8-bit and double-word gave way to 16-bit, then WOW! 32-bit, answer to all manner of things, and then the 2GB file size limit and memory addressing limit hit, and several years ago 64-bit architecture was introduced.

I do NOT want to maintain a separate computer that manages 32-bit libraries (nor do I want to have to run a virtual machine as that means I can not access my desktop from afar using my laptop.

It is TIME for Teamviewer to produce a 64-bit Debian Linux version...

• Chiron
    Chiron Posts: 229 ✭✭

Have you tried the Web Client? It works, if you don't mind Adobe Flash. 

But you are right, 64bit would be better.

I don't work for TeamViewer. I'm just a user.
  • DanielStm
    DanielStm Posts: 224 Staff member 🤠

Hi knucklehead,

we surely don't mind maintaining different archictures - as you might have seen, the HOST version comes for i386, amd64 and armv7. Unfortunately it only supports incoming connections. We are currently in a transition phase, not from i386 to amd64, but from Wine-based to Qt-based. This transition, beginning with the HOST version, gives us the freedom to support all the architectures you and I want.

Linux Developer