Raspbian: Password and ID problems

DanielStm
DanielStm Posts: 224 Staff member 🤠

Hi everybody,

I wanted to give you an update on the password and ID issues:

As you have reported, the problem only exists on Raspbian. Meanwhile I could confirm that it only happens on recent images of Raspbian. As old images with all updates installed behave as intended, I consider this a bug in Raspbian. If it was intentional, they probably would have changed it for updated installations, too.

The observed change is that recent Rasbians no longer have the file /var/lib/dbus/machine-id and the file /etc/machine-id is no longer static, but randomly changed with every reboot.

We will implement a solution on our side, avoiding this dependency on distribution-specific behavior. Please understand that a well-implemented and well-tested update will take a few weeks. Thanks for your patience and support!

Linux Developer

Best Answer

Answers

• Noclad
    Noclad Posts: 1

Thanks, created headaches for me wondering if I had entered the wrong password...

Please update this post when https://pages.teamviewer.com/published/raspberrypi/ has been updated with a new version with a fix for this.

Thanks,

• generik99
    generik99 Posts: 2

The machine-id change in Raspbian has also cause problems with other packages. I was able to workaround the problem with the following steps.

Seems as if the machine-id tmpfs filesystem (which is what's causing the machine-id to change on every reboot) is only created if the actual file doesn't exist in the filesystem.

1. back up the current machine-id:

sudo cp /etc/machine-id /etc/machine-id.old

2. unmount the machine-id tmpfs filesystem (recently introduced in raspbian):

sudo umount /etc/machine-id

3. replace the unmounted filesystem with the backup:

sudo cp /etc/machine-id.old /etc/machine-id

4. Reboot the pi and reset the teamviewer password one last time.

I've tried this on a few Pis running the latest Raspbian update, both the IDs and Passwords are now preserved between reboots.

More details on the machine-id issue here:

https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/66364/constantly-changing-etc-machine-id/66469

• Ravenheld
    Ravenheld Posts: 1

Works just fine !

Thanks A LOT :)

• higherbeats
    higherbeats Posts: 1
    edited November 2021

hello there, i am new here.

my problem is, that TV does not even give me an ID. I also connaot bind an account to it. :-(

is there anybody here who had the same problem? ( i am also a Raspi noob, but i am reading and willing to learn ;-) )

thanx in advance