Posted by TeamViewer Staff
TeamViewer Staff

[Update: 14.1.3399] TeamViewer 14

tv14_black_white.pngTeamViewer 14 in light and dark mode

Dear Linux community, today we are releasing TeamViewer 14 into the wild.

Updates:
2018-10-23: TeamViewer 14.0.8346 (preview)
2018-11-21: TeamViewer 14.0.14470 (final)
2018-12-13: TeamViewer 14.1.3399

New Interface
The most obvious change you'll notice is that we're now using the same interface as on the other platforms. In the options dialog you can switch the color theme to dark mode, if you find it more pleasing. Now, this is more than just eye candy: some people will find the dark mode less exhausting for the eye. But also you'll find some tiny enhancements and improvements in the new UI. It is also the base for new features that had no place to go in the old UI.

Custom Device Information CustomDeviceInfo3.pngCustom Device Information
One of those features is the new Custom Device Information, available for licensed customers. It allows you to define a set of (custom) labels for your company, and assign values to all the devices in your Computers & Contact list.

Bits & Pieces
Computer & Contacts has a new panel on the right, showing details about a contact and offering ways to interact. If available with your license, custom device information is also embedded there. Also new is the instant connect area on top op the window, allowing to connect by ID without leaving the current tab. Many dialogs have been streamlined to match the new look.

Compatibility with older distros
We updated our dependencies to Qt 5.5 and might go to 5.6 within the next year. This gives us many new options to create a good UI, and can help us to improve HighDPI suport.
On the other hand, we are aware that some of our customers are still on systems that don't sport Qt 5.5 (or 5.6). For this reason, we added a compatibility library to our repository, providing Qt for TeamViewer if you don't have it. This enables you to update from TV13 to TeamViewer 14 on Debian 8 and Ubuntu 14.04.

To revert to TV13 and control which updates to receive, have a look at these commands:

Spoiler
# be root
apt install teamviewer=13.2.13582
teamviewer repo main stable
apt update # or, to stick to tv13 teamviewer repo tv13 # overview teamviewer help # revert to default / all updates with teamviewer repo default
apt update apt install teamviewer

2018-11-21 Update
The final release contains a few more bug fixes, including

• middle click support and improved keyboard handling.
  • The preview had been removed from the repository because some customers were not expecting to be updated to a preview. In the future, you will have to explicitly opt-in to have preview versions offered to you. (Note that we never update silently. Updates are installed together with system updates, either manually or automatically, depending on your settings)
  • The first final was published a week ago, but not put in the repository, as there was a connectivity issue that we wanted to tackle before recommending the update.

2018-12-13 Update
Last week, TV 14.1 has been released, and now (2018-12-18) it is also available via the repository. The most important change might be a crash fix. It was long standing, but tricky to track down, as only a few people seemed to be affected. The crash occurred sporadically when starting a connection via the Computer & contacts list.
If you experience crashes, you can help us by submitting log files and crash dumps. It's easier to than you might think: Just click Help / Feedback and select attach log files.
Minor improvements include open MCO directly from the main menu (before it was only available on a button in the C&C list, which seemed to be harder to find). Also, the columns in the file transfer are now sortable. Messageboxes in Fluxbox have been fixed.

As always, packages are available via repositories and on the TeamViewer Linux download page.

All the best,
Daniel

Linux Developer
79 Replies
Posted by oliverneumann
Photon

Re: [Update: 14.0.8346] TeamViewer 14 preview

Still no meeting option in Teamviewer for LINUX. So LINUX User with the need to attend or organize Teamviewer Meetings still need to stick to version 12.

Highlighted
TeamViewer Staff

@oliverneumann: If you miss a feature and it keeps you from updating, please let your sales representative know, or contact support. They'll keep track of the most requested features.

Thanks!
Daniel

Linux Developer
21 Replies
Posted by djandiek
Digon

I was forced to upgrade to this version as I was getting warnings "Can't connect to the remote host as they have a newer version" and now I appear to have been downgraded from Business licence to Free.... What happened???

Posted by djandiek
Digon

Now I can't even connect or login... How do I fix this?

I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling...TeamViewer_002.png

Posted by Moderator Moderator

Hi djandiek,

Thank you for posting.

From your post, it sounds like you have a V13 only license.

If you have purchased a V13 perpetual license, you would need to have V13 in order to use your license.

The devices you are connecting to would also need to be on V13. Therefore please make sure that both of side are using the version you purchased.  

If it is the case and you would like to use version 14, you would need to update your license to a subscription, you can contact our sales team here.

Hope this information is helpful for you.

Best regards,

Posted by Brano
Digon

Remote system information is missing on the native linux client. It used to be present on the wine version.

Also 14 preview is crashing often on Kubuntu. Especially when more than one connection is established.

Posted by exactt
Trigon

TV14 was automatically installed on my system. I don't need the new stuff TV14 offers and mobile connections still don't work. So the important question is: will we still get fixes for TV13? The login issue with the grayed out login screen is really super annoying.

P.S. How do I get back to TV13 and prevent auto-update to TV14?

TeamViewer Staff

Account Login, downgrade

@exactt, please keep the account login issue in this thread.

P.S. How do I get back to TV13 and prevent auto-update to TV14?

# be root
apt install teamviewer=13.2.13582
teamviewer help
teamviewer repo tv13
# revert to default / all updates with
teamviewer repo default
apt install teamviewer

See How to update TeamViewer on Linux via repository

Cheers,
Daniel

Linux Developer
Posted by exactt
Trigon

Re: Account Login, downgrade

@DanielStmThx a lot!

I will stick with 13.2.26559 though. The Ctrl-key bug is somehow equally frustrating than not being able to login...

Posted by djandiek
Digon

To ensure that Teamviewr doesn't auto-update, use this command:

sudo apt-mark hold teamviewer

To undo this command (back to normal updates):

sudo apt-mark unhold teamviewer
Posted by tekkaman75
Henagon

I have the same problem..under Linux Mint Rosa 17.3, Teamviewer 13 and now 14 preview does not want or is unable to save my free user account information.  In my home personal network I manage like 7 PCs mixed Linux and Windows 7 & 10.  I  always have to resort to reinstall at every start up of my Mint Rosa 17.3 system. I can't even click on the fields for entering the information.  Can something be done to resolve this issue?  

Posted by plopp37
Henagon

I'm running TV14 on x11 and speaking of pleasing interface, I have two issues:

first, although my launcher icon is OK (comes from my icon theme in svg), the running app's icon in my dock is different (comes from TV bin folder, TeamViewer..png)

second, the same png icon is shown when OSD notification appears; the problem with this is that it is badly scaled and on my 13" screen it is HUGE (like one fifth of my screen)

is there a way to make TV14 use system icons instead?

Posted by kreatosict
Electron

Hello,

We've installed the Beta (this exact version) on the latest version of Mojave (macOS Mojave 10.14) and I've experienced periodically sluggish connection problems and "view updates". When you minimize a window on the remote computer for example, it "hangs" for a second. If you type, you get to see the result like 2 or 3 seconds later. Like the computer is "slow" or the connection is bad, but both are NOT the case.

When removing the Beta and installing the stable release (v13.2.14327 at this moment) all these problems are gone. The transitions on the remote computer are smooth, the typing is not delayed, ...

REALLY FRUSTRATING in the new Beta !!!

TeamViewer Staff

@kreatosict, thank you for your comment.

Please note that you posted in the Linux section and your issues are about the macOS version. I'd suggest post in the common forum or contact support.

Cheers,
Daniel

Linux Developer
Posted by kreatosict
Electron

My apologies, will do.

Posted by MattiViljanen
Trigon

Great to see Linux supported at launch!

I had TeamViewer 12 installed previously, and now 14 preview. Things work quite flawlessly, with the exception of Alt-Tab not being forwarded to the session, but the host system instead. I think this has more to do with X11 capturing the events before TeamViewer even sees them than simply a missing feature in TeamViewer.

I'm running Ubuntu Budgie 18.04 LTS 64-bit at the moment, but the issue looks to be quite universal. I can live with it, but it would be nice not having to avoid Alt-Tab (and a few others) using a Linux as a host computer.

Oh, and Budgie 11 will be built on top of Qt instead of GTK+, and will sport Wayland instead of Xorg. Just so that things don't get too easy.

Posted by MattiViljanen
Trigon

Okay, I poked my Linux around with a stick and I think I made Alt-Tab work. I'm not sure what distros can be workarounded by this, but it seems to be a Gnome/GTK+ thing. At least Ubuntu Budgie 18.04 works with it. YMMV as always.

Install dconf-editor (sudo apt install dconf-editor) and navigate to org.gnome.desktop.vm.keybindings.dconf-editor.png

Scroll down to switch-applications and switch-applications-backwards and edit them like so. The default values were ['<Super>Tab','<Alt>Tab'] and ['<Shift><Super>Tab','<Shift><Alt>Tab'] respectively, and they are shown in the dialog, too.

Pros: Alt-Tab now gets redirected to TeamViewer session as expected.

Cons: Alt-Tab doesn't work in Linux at all after the change, but Windows-Tab (uh, I mean, Super-Tab) works at the same time, and it feels actually quite convenient. (I didn't actually know that combo existed!)

Possibilities: I think this can easily be scripted, so that first the key combo gets disabled, then TeamViewer starts, and when TeamViewer quits, the change gets reverted automatically.

Threats: Accidentally causing unwanted changes and/or rendering Gnome unusable by messing around too much in dconf-settings.

Perhaps this could be automated in TeamViewer such that the key combo gets automatically disabled/enabled whenever a TeamViewer window has/doesn't have focus? I didn't have to use sudo doing this, so it really could solve Alt-Tab and all the othe keycombos at one go...

Source: [SOLVED] Disable Alt-Tab window switching in GNOME 3.10

Posted by Alex123
Digon

I test this version, GUI not start without graphical login

**Please do not post TeamViewer IDs** G   SetUserLoggedIn(0xbbbfe30): changed to: 1
**Please do not post TeamViewer IDs** G!! ApplicationLookOfflineState::ApplicationAppearanceOfflineState: state not loaded, Errorcode=2
**Please do not post TeamViewer IDs** G!!!Own session could not be resolved, unable to startup, Errorcode=2
**Please do not post TeamViewer IDs** G   Chat::Stop: Stopping chat
**Please do not post TeamViewer IDs** G!! ConfigurationHub::HandleRegistrationResponse(): registering for feature 9 failed with error 2, Errorcode=11
Posted by tecodrive
Henagon

CTRL+... BUG not resolved in 13 & 14 :-(

Posted by Ketterer
Digon

How would I go about updateing to the preview?

Posted by beroe667
Henagon

We had multiple talks with your Sales Team.
My boss bought the License for Version 13 unknowingly that there is no support for meeting.
The sales team tried to push us to buy now the subscription for 14 with still no support for meeting. Considering that v14 has no real no relavent features that are of interest for our team its kind of a joke.

Even though we have License for v13 we are still stuck with for linux.

Posted by Ketterer
Digon

I would still really like to know how to get the preview, 

TeamViewer Staff

TeamViewer 14 final Q & A

TV14 final is now in the repository and I updated the article accordingly.

@Ketterer, see updated notes. However, no need for preview anymore, just update or install as always.

@beroe667, thanks for letting the sales team know how important this feature is to you. The more people demand it, the sooner it will be implemented.

@MattiViljanen, a workaround is good to have, but hopefully we can make this work by default. An application can "grab the keyboard", meaning it get's all keyboard input and not have some parts filtered out by the desktop. Stay tuned :robothappy:

@tecodrive, @exactt: Ctrl key combinations should now work better, some fixes went in the final release.

Cheers,
Daniel

Linux Developer
Posted by Ctuchick
Digon

Re: TeamViewer 14 final Q & A

Thanks folks, the important stuff works well.

Not getting many random sign in problems either.

Is there any way to make permanant changes to default options like 'show remote cursor' or always use scales view, even if it's just a config file change?

Also all my errors and warning show up in a 1-pixel-wide box. I have to use a trick to maximise it and hit OK...

Posted by MattiViljanen
Trigon

I updated to 14.0.14470 yesterday and so far nothing is more broken :)

As said in another thread, there are a lot of settings missing in Linux client, e.g. always show client cursor. Also, and this is quite frustrating, I can't access management console staight from TeamViewer window. There is no Management Console in the Connection menu. Are the any plans in catching up with missing features?

TeamViewer Staff

@Ctuchick@MattiViljanen good to hear :robothappy:

Presets: If you can figure out the proper setting in Win registry, HKCU/Software/TeamViewer, then it will most likely work to put it in ~/.config/teamviewer/client.conf (close the ui before editing)
I just did that and can verify that the following works:

[int32] Remote_RemoteCursor = 1

1-pixel errors: can you give a concrete example of such a message / context? Also, what distro/desktop combo?

Management console: there actually is a link to it in the Computers & Contacts list menu, unfortunately it lacks the key functionality of loging you in... I just put both of that on our todo list.

All in all, I hope you can see we catch up, but I too wish it could be faster.

Daniel

Linux Developer
Posted by beast-usa
Tetragon

Upgraded to 14 because like someone else said can't connect to newer versions. Let 13 connect to 14, or give us an option to rollback, overwrite newer versions with older ones that work remotely. Some of my customers are in other parts of the world walking them through the uninstall and reinstall is crazy.

If I only had Linux I would be up the creek! I HATE windows but need to work with it since 14 just doesn't work on mine. I tried versions teamviewer_14.0.12762_amd64.deb & teamviewer_14.0.14470_amd64.deb. Same thing on both start the MONSTER HUGE thing, connect to one computer crash, connect to one computer I'm in! Connect to a 2nd computer crash start over. :(

I liked the THIN look of 13 I don't need all the extra waste of space. The only thing I wanted was tabbed windows. :( instead we got some HUGE GUI I do NOT like that doesn't work. :(

Spec's
Case - Thermaltake Core V71
Cooling - Water cooled, Raystorm Waterblock, 270 GPH Pond Pump, 5 Gallon Reservoir.
Motherboard - Asus Rampage v Extreme (Bios 3101)
CPU - Intel i7-6950X Extreme Edition @4000MHZ
Memory - 64 gigs Crucial Ballistix Tractical DDR4-3000 15-15-15-33 CR2
Video Card - EVGA RTX 2080 TI XC Ultra Stock Clock & Cooling.
Hard Drives - Windows OS's Crucial M550's Raid-0, Xubuntu Seagate SATA III 1tb 64meg cache.
Storage Drives - 2 Western Digital 5TB 128meg cache, 2 Seagate 4TB 256meg cache.
Power Supply - Corsair 1050 watt SINGLE RAIL
Screens - 3 Sceptre 40" 1920X1080
OS's Xubuntu 18.0.4 x64, Windows 8 Pro x64 & Windows 10 Pro x64

Posted by Ctuchick
Digon

@DanielStm

The cursor trick (along with some other reg entries) does work, thanks.

As for examples of 1x1 errors, it's lubuntu (same happens on xubuntu) and fluxbox as the DE:

[Remove the link bu a moderator]

Cheers!

Posted by DialectKBA
Electron

Re: [Update: 14.0.14470] TeamViewer 14

Hi,

Liking the update, but...

Where is the possibility to get Computers & Contacts in a separate window???

Running Debian 9 TV14...

Posted by beast-usa
Tetragon

Still no reply on the constant random crashing?

So annoying seems to be every year, renew, upgrade, nothing works for 6 to 9 months, starts working great time for the new version. :(

Linux worked great then 14 added nothing I wanted and crashes on random connections. So I guess just like last year. Pay TeamViewer, use the free one that works. :(

Posted by Moogwi
Electron

~$ uname -a
Linux PC-AL 4.9.0-5-686-pae #1 SMP Debian 4.9.65-3+deb9u2 (2018-01-04) i686 GNU/Linux

TV crash (seg fault) with this message:

2018/12/04 17:03:46.587  1042 **Please do not post TeamViewer IDs** S   Activating Router carrier
2018/12/04 17:03:46.587  1042 **Please do not post TeamViewer IDs** S   CProcessCommandHandlerMasterConnect[3]::CreateMasterConnect(): master1.teamviewer.com:443, Connection 3, proxy=''
2018/12/04 17:03:47.344  1042 **Please do not post TeamViewer IDs** S   CTcpProcessConnector::HandleRead(): Socket gracefully closed (PID=1314)
2018/12/04 17:03:47.344  1042 **Please do not post TeamViewer IDs** S   CTcpProcessConnector::CloseConnection(): PID=1314
2018/12/04 17:03:47.344  1042 **Please do not post TeamViewer IDs** S   InterProcessNetwork::ProcessDisconnected(): ConnectionClosed session=**Please do not post TeamViewer IDs** ptype=2
2018/12/04 17:03:47.344  1042 **Please do not post TeamViewer IDs** S   ProcessControlBase[2]::ProcessDisconnected: Process pid 1314 in session **Please do not post TeamViewer IDs** disconnected
2018/12/04 17:03:47.344  1042 **Please do not post TeamViewer IDs** S   NetworkControlLinux::ShouldDelayOffline: Start delay update online state
2018/12/04 17:03:47.344  1042 **Please do not post TeamViewer IDs** S   NetworkControl::UpdateOnlineState alwaysOnline=1 delayOffline=1 otherProcess=0 restart=0
2018/12/04 17:03:48.889  1042 **Please do not post TeamViewer IDs** S   CProcessCommandHandlerMasterConnect[3]::HandleMasterConnect(): Sending MasterCommand client=TV&connectionmode=1&f=RequestRoute2&homeserver=&ic=**Please do not post TeamViewer IDs**&id=**Please do not post TeamViewer IDs**&id1=**Please do not post TeamViewer IDs**&id2=**Please do not post TeamViewer IDs**&licensedremoteaccesstypes=0&mid=lc218b78290d047b386c1250089b5dc06:30b5c200cb20:b7839149ab39488ebb6e6371f4f394fa&midv=1&v=14.0.14470 
2018/12/04 17:03:48.988  1042 **Please do not post TeamViewer IDs** S   CProcessCommandHandlerMasterConnect[3]::ReceivedMasterResponse(): Received MasterCommand CONNECT@188.172.245.136_0_128000_**Please do not post TeamViewer IDs**_**Please do not post TeamViewer IDs**_32504__1_0_16778176_128000_16778176:128000;**Please do not post TeamViewer IDs**:1280000;4:640000_**Please do not post TeamViewer IDs**_**Please do not post TeamViewer IDs**_FR-MRS-ANX-R005.teamviewer.com_eQBwZWCBGNdjjAE=_eQBwZWCBGNdjjAE=
2018/12/04 17:03:48.988  1042 **Please do not post TeamViewer IDs** S!  TcpCarrierBase[3]::SendCompleteQueue(): No Connections, Type_Tcp, Dir_Outgoing, Ending 0, SendQueue 1, CurrentSendQueue 0, SendCache 0
2018/12/04 17:03:48.988  1042 **Please do not post TeamViewer IDs** S   Activating Router carrier
2018/12/04 17:03:48.988  1042 **Please do not post TeamViewer IDs** S   CommandHandlerRouting[4]::CreateActiveSession(): outgoing session to **Please do not post TeamViewer IDs** via FR-MRS-ANX-R005.teamviewer.com, protocol Port443
2018/12/04 17:03:48.988  1042 **Please do not post TeamViewer IDs** S   Carrier[3]::EndCarrierInternal(): ClientID: 0 SupportsEndSession: 0, SupportsCCmd2: 0, SessionType_MasterConnect, SendQueue: 0 (4 Bytes), CurrentSendQueue: 0 (0 Bytes), SendCache: 0 (0 Bytes)
2018/12/04 17:03:50.891  1042 **Please do not post TeamViewer IDs** S   ProcessControlBase[2]: Process 1314 in session **Please do not post TeamViewer IDs** has terminated
2018/12/04 17:03:50.891  1042 **Please do not post TeamViewer IDs** S   SysSessionInfoManager: updating session information for session **Please do not post TeamViewer IDs** from GUI
2018/12/04 17:03:50.891  1042 **Please do not post TeamViewer IDs** S   SysSession updated: XSession: 0 [SysSession **Please do not post TeamViewer IDs** [type=88 vt=7 tty= pseudotty=0 info=1 id=2 user=user11 state=user active=1 reliable=1]]
2018/12/04 17:03:50.891  1042 **Please do not post TeamViewer IDs** S   OSSessionEventTranslatorLinux::SessionUpdated: old osSessionID: **Please do not post TeamViewer IDs** username: user11 userLoggedIn: 1 locked: 0 primarySession: 1 unusableState: 0 connected: 1
2018/12/04 17:03:50.891  1042 **Please do not post TeamViewer IDs** S   OSSessionEventTranslatorLinux::SessionUpdated: new osSessionID: **Please do not post TeamViewer IDs** username: user11 userLoggedIn: 1 locked: 0 primarySession: 1 unusableState: 0 connected: 1
2018/12/04 17:03:53.989  1042 **Please do not post TeamViewer IDs** S!! HttpRequestImpl::CurlFinished(): curl request failed: Timeout was reached (28), Connection timed out after 5000 milliseconds
2018/12/04 17:03:53.989  1042 **Please do not post TeamViewer IDs** S!! Port443Connection::RequestFinishedCallback: failed with HTTP status code = 0
2018/12/04 17:03:53.989  1042 **Please do not post TeamViewer IDs** S   Activating Router carrier
2018/12/04 17:03:53.989  1042 **Please do not post TeamViewer IDs** S   CProcessCommandHandlerMasterConnect[5]::CreateMasterConnect(): master1.teamviewer.com:443, Connection 5, proxy=''
2018/12/04 17:03:53.989  1042 **Please do not post TeamViewer IDs** S!  TcpCarrierBase[4]::SendCompleteQueue(): No Connections, Type_Tcp, Dir_Outgoing, Ending 0, SendQueue 1, CurrentSendQueue 0, SendCache 0
2018/12/04 17:03:53.989  1042 **Please do not post TeamViewer IDs** S   Carrier[4]::EndCarrierInternal(): ClientID: 0 SupportsEndSession: 0, SupportsCCmd2: 0, SessionType_RoutingSession, SendQueue: 0 (4 Bytes), CurrentSendQueue: 0 (0 Bytes), SendCache: 0 (0 Bytes)
2018/12/04 17:03:53.990  1042 **Please do not post TeamViewer IDs** S   CGatewaySession[4]::EndSession(): Session to **Please do not post TeamViewer IDs** ended. Estimated capacity=0kBit/s, Latency=0ms
2018/12/04 17:03:54.032  1042 **Please do not post TeamViewer IDs** S   CProcessCommandHandlerMasterConnect[5]::HandleMasterConnect(): Sending MasterCommand actionid=**Please do not post TeamViewer IDs**&f=ServerUnavailable&ic=**Please do not post TeamViewer IDs**&id=**Please do not post TeamViewer IDs**&mid=lc218b78290d047b386c1250089b5dc06:30b5c200cb20:b7839149ab39488ebb6e6371f4f394fa&midv=1&serverip=FR-MRS-ANX-R005.teamviewer.com&v=14.0.14470 
2018/12/04 17:03:54.073  1042 **Please do not post TeamViewer IDs** S   CProcessCommandHandlerMasterConnect[5]::ReceivedMasterResponse(): Received MasterCommand OK
2018/12/04 17:03:54.073  1042 **Please do not post TeamViewer IDs** S!  TcpCarrierBase[5]::SendCompleteQueue(): No Connections, Type_Tcp, Dir_Outgoing, Ending 0, SendQueue 1, CurrentSendQueue 0, SendCache 0
2018/12/04 17:03:54.073  1042 **Please do not post TeamViewer IDs** S   Carrier[5]::EndCarrierInternal(): ClientID: 0 SupportsEndSession: 0, SupportsCCmd2: 0, SessionType_MasterConnect, SendQueue: 0 (4 Bytes), CurrentSendQueue: 0 (0 Bytes), SendCache: 0 (0 Bytes)
2018/12/04 17:04:17.344  1042 **Please do not post TeamViewer IDs** S   NetworkControl::UpdateOnlineState alwaysOnline=1 delayOffline=0 otherProcess=0 restart=0

Posted by Enkidu
Electron

Hi,

I use TeamViewer 14.0.14470 on LinuxMint 18.3.
On my tablet, a Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro with Android 5, latest version of QuickSupport
On my phone, OnePlus 3T, Android 7, also latest version of QuickSupport.

Problem:
When I enter PartnerID in TV on Mint and I confirm connection on phone/tablet it says connected, but not window is being opened.

Trying the same from a Windows PC, everything is working.
Trying the same with TV 13, all is working as expected.

Where's the problem? Any hint for me?

Tnx,
Enkidu

Posted by beast-usa
Tetragon

It would be really great if there was an update that let 13 connect to 14 until 14 is fixed. I can work fine on one computer if it doesn't crash when connecting. Some times even two or three then CRASH and start over! The crash gives no error nothing TV just closes. I have purged it a few times, tried to make Win version run in wine, un-installed, clean install, un-install, install 13 and upgrade to 14. With all the same results updated everything on Linux to the newest versions... Still up to 40 ramdom crashes before I give up and go to Winblows.

It's super annoying using TV in VM Windows on Linux. :( I normally work on 4 to 20 computers at the same time which is impossible now unless I use VM or just log into Winblows 10.

I really think that should be #1 on the list ALWAYS make the old version work on the new one. Not all of them but at least one version back until the newest version works. 12 to 13, 13 to 14 that way we can keep working while you guys fix the problems. Without dual boot and VM I would be up a creek right now.

Posted by swissbuechi
Henagon

The signin to my account works now in 14..014470 on Ubuntu 18.04.

Posted by beast-usa
Tetragon

I rolled back to Ubuntu/Xubuntu 16.0.4 and upgraded 13 to 14 newest version and only had one crash last night. And it even gave me an error report which I submitted.

So what seemed to fix all my problems in TeamViewer 14 was not using Xubuntu 18.0.4. I will do an image back-up of the working version of Xubuntu 16.0.4. Then upgrade to 18.0.4 and see if the random crashing comes back. I will post the results after the upgrade if it's crash city again I will just stick with 16.0.4.

Posted by beast-usa
Tetragon

Well it's better but still not right. :(
Now that I have all the updates installed on 16.0.4 it's crashing more and more and after about 6 crashes TV won't start until I restart the computer.

PLEASE FIX LINUX :)

Posted by beast-usa
Tetragon

Please FIX 14! The Linux version is a joke!

Added all the things most of us DID NOT WANT, made it HUGE and annoying and it's not stable! I have spent so many hours, rolling back to Xubuntu/Ubuntu 16.0.4 LTS, upgrading to 18.0.4, clean install of 16.0.4, clean install of 18.0.4. With all the same results works great until I do updates as soon as I update either 16 or 18 it just crashes OVER & OVER & OVER!!!

Then I start stupid winblows in VM and do my work in VM! The main reason I liked this software is for Linux, linux is my primary OS.

I'm not willing to waste anymore of my time trying to make the POS 14 work! 13 was fine it only needed tabbed browsing then you added all this garbage, made it HUGE and a waste of screen space and 98% of the time NOT STABLE!

Posted by MattiViljanen
Trigon

Linux version is limited feature-wise and not yet ready for production use. The biggest issue are that service queue can't be processed, and Alt-Tab and Windows keys don't get redirected to session properly. Two more minor ones are that there is no way to start Management Console from the UI, and there are a lot of settings missing (especially in the advanced section).

If you advertise the Linux support, the software should live up to it.

Posted by MattiViljanen
Trigon

I just installed TeamViewer 14.1.3399, and here are my quick comments on it:

• Service Quere connections can be assigned with a right click on the device in the Computers & Contacts list, connected, and closed afterwards (this may already have been possible with 14.0, but I just now discovered the right click)
  • Selecting "Properties" from a service queue device results in glitchy UI and TeamViewer must be restarted (sometimes killed) in order for it to recover (this was with 14.0 as well, didn't report it until now)
  • Alt-Tab, Alt+Shift-Tab and Windows keys still don't get redirected (using Wayland here)

On the positive side:

• Connection menu now has Open Management Console item. Yes!
  • The freezing sessions should have feen fixed (I actually didn't realise I had this issue until I read about it - I blamed my Internet connection, but that has proven to be stable in all later TeamViewer freezing cases for me)

I really get the feeling I am only complaining all the time. The truth is that I can do practically all tasks with my Linux setup, too, with not at all too serious caveats. I still couldn't recommend the Linux variant to a non-technical person, but hey, I guess everyone using TeamViewer at this side of help desk are technical personnell after all :)

Great work! Let the change log grow long!

Posted by beast-usa
Tetragon

I didn't even try 14.1 I gave up and I'm uninstalling 14 on all my customers computers reinstalling 13.2. Since there is no way to do this remotely I'm using DWAGENT which has zero problems in Linux and 100% free.

I don't know if everyone else only connects to one computer at a time? But 14 just does not work on Xubuntu 16.0.4 or 18.04 clean install or upgrade. I can connect until I install any updates after updates it just crashes over & over on any over one computer.

Connect to one all good maybe a second one or crash on the second or third connection. I normally connect to 10 plus computers at one time. And yes I have the paid version.

Posted by MattiViljanen
Trigon

@beast-usa There are crash-related fixes in 14.1.3399, so please at least test it on your setup to see if anything has changed. I have update to it and, so far, I haven't found anything gone backwards.

TeamViewer Staff

TeamViewer 14.1 Q & A

Just wanted to let you know that TV 14.1 available. I updated / enhanced the article above.
@MattiViljanen, basically you nailed it :) And yes, the "properties" should not be there for service queue. I was made aware of it a few days ago, but too late for this release. MCO link was already available in the C&C tab, but maybe not obvious enough. I hope we can get the keyboard-forwarding (Alt-Tab) in the coming months.

@beast-usa, if you think the UI is huge - did you discover you can resize it and even have a slim portrait mode? (@DialectKBA might also find that interesting)
I understand that crashes are frustrating. It should be gone now. The thing is, some people complained here about instabilites, but I did not receive crash dumps we could investigate. The crash when starting a connection from C&C could only be fixed because one colleague here observed it and I could reproduce it. If you observe crashes, please use Help / Feedback to send us the crash data. That time is likely better invested than trying to work around a bug in the code. Crashes have high priority for us, but we can only fix them if we have useful bugreports with crash dumps.
Same for @Moogwi, if you still have issues.
One more thing @beast-usa. Agreed, TV13 was very disruptive on Linux. I think TV14 much less so (with the exception of that crash that hopefully is now fixed for you). In the upcoming months you might notice that we are transitioning away from yearly big releases to smaller increments. Especially the next few months will bring few changes, but improve quality.
So, if there are still crashes and other major glitches (not missing features), please let us know soon.

@Enkidu: Connecting to mobile (Android, iOS) is currently not implemented in the native TeamViewer for Linux (TV13, TV14). It was in TV12, which was Wine based. To learn more about this transition, have a look at the previous announcements linked in above article.

@Ctuchick: Fluxbox issue should be fixed.
@swissbuechi: glad to hear :robothappy:

Cheers,
Daniel

Linux Developer
Posted by Ctuchick
Digon

Re: TeamViewer 14.1 Q & A

@DanielStm

14.1.3399 - 0x0 pixel dialogs are fixed

Thanks mate

Posted by beast-usa
Tetragon

After I rolled back about 60 computers :( 14.1 is out. I did try 14.1 to 13.2 and it isn't crashing yet. I'm not upgrading any of the 13.2's until I know it's working 100% it's just to hard to login with something else, uninstall & reinstall.

@DanielStm 
I have dragged it to as small as it will drag still almost twice as wide as 13.2 :( What and where do I find "Portrait Mode"? Is that just the list of computers like before? Stability is my main concern and the only feature I want is tabbed windows since I work on groups at a time.

TeamViewer Staff

@beast-usa, if you make it tall, you can drag it half-width.
Tabbed session windows, I suppose? I can not promise them for the near future, as we have other features missing that are asked for more often.

Cheers,
Daniel

Linux Developer
Posted by beast-usa
Tetragon

@DanielStm
Yep I already do that stretch it full height of one of my 40 inch screens. Then drag it as small as it will go still twice as wide as 13. :( I guess most people are not working on more then one at a time. That's when tabbed is great I almost never work on less 4 at a time. Once in awhile I do get the one at a time. No rush on tabbed but it was the only feature I wanted all the rest of this stuff I never use. I guess it's because I work on so many at once most of the features mean nothing to me. Stability on multiple systems is #1. Upload speed would be #2 but I have been adding what I upload to my website then using their browser to download. Well a browser I add Slimjet "Turbo Download". I try your upload, restart it twice one time it's super fast next time (same computer) it's super slow. Then I just down load the stuff not a big deal.

Thank you SO MUCH for the fix in 14.1! 

Posted by MattiViljanen
Trigon

@beast-usa I also typically many connections at the same time, and for my brain, it is better to have three monitors and each session in its own window. That way I can see what is going on in the sessions (especially if the client computer has multiple displays) at a glance. I find the tab system unintuitive, but it is clear that both styles have their users and uses :)

What it comes to upload speed, we have long since given up on TeamViewer file transfer speeds. For small files it's fine, but anything larger and we take an alternative route. And many bigger downloads can be obtained directly from a download site, so there is that, too.
TeamViewer Staff

Portrait mode & filetransfer speed

@beast-usa, that sounds wrong to me. If you make it tall, you should be able to drag to as slim as 400px, which is definitely less than ever before. "Control Remote Computer" is then placed below "Allow Remote Control". Maybe what you're seeing is a HiDPI issue? If you want to discuss that further, please open a new topic and maybe add a screenshot.

@MattiViljanen, sad to hear that. When was the last time you actually tried? Our performance team really put a lot of effort in making file transfer speeds fast. If the speed is way below the theoretical max, there are (to my knowledge) two main reasons: 1) switching to UDP failed. TeamViewer always attempts to switch to a UDP connection, which will be fast. In fallback mode, speeds are much lower. That is why you might see dramatic differences between two connections. 2) you have a IPv6-only connection. It's a variation of the above, because in this case it will currently never be UDP, but this is currently being worked on.
If you have a well-defined test case between two locations where you observe that switching to UDP often fails, you might contact support and request it to be investigated.

Linux Developer
Posted by MattiViljanen
Trigon

Re: Portrait mode & filetransfer speed

@DanielStm I tried the transfer speed at some point after version 14 was out (that was from my Windows 10 to a Windows Server 2012 R2 I think). The speed is not that bad, it can reach a few megabytes per second, but if the limit is 10MB/s on both ends, it never gets maxed out. Then we just throw the file to a local server and use SFTP to get it fast. Our firewall is quite proactive and nosey, so that may have something to do with it. 1-2MB/s is okay really, but when there are gigabytes to transfer, every bit counts (pun intended). Due to our firewall I don't think we can be used as a significant test case really, but I'll test the transfer speeds the next time I have a chance. Thanks!