Can I use TeamViewer to connect to PC's on another network?

Michael-221
Michael-221 Posts: 6
edited May 2023 in General questions

Hi there,

Can I use TeamViewer to remotly access computers on a diffrent network? I have never tried to  do so.

If so, are there any extra steps, I need to configue on either computers before connecting?

Thanks so much!

Comments

• Esther
    Esther Posts: 4,052 Former Community Manager

Hi Michael,

Yes - this is exactly what TeamViewer is build for :-)

The regular remote control connection happens between two computers via a TeamViewer ID and a password.

Let´s say: You are based in Italy and you would like to make a remote control session to a colleague in Canada: You just need to have TeamViewer on both computers, the TeamViewer ID and the password from your colleague in Canada and so you can connect from your computer to his computer

But: You can also make a remote control session when both devices are in the same network. Here you can decide if you would like to make a regular TeamViewer connection via the TeamViewer ID and the password or via IP address and the password: If you have two computers in the same network, you can also make a TeamViewer LAN connection. In this case, you would connect to the IP address instead of the TeamViewer ID.

This article explains it a bit more in detail: Can TeamViewer be used within a local network (LAN) only?

Have a great day, Esther

Former Community Manager

• Yes you can, it is easy.
    Make sure both PC's are connected to the internet. When you open Teamviewer, you'll get an ID and a password. ID is usually 9 numbers.
    Just enter that number. in your teamviewer. It then prompts for a password. Enter that (you can use the random one, or create a personal static password which never changes for unattended access).

That should be it, it could be possible that an network admin have blocked Teamviewer ports, but for most companies, this isn't the case.

Late edit: 
    Esther beat me to it :P

Please consider the environment before posting on the internet.