Can't Boot after uninstalling Teamviewer on Mac OS Catalina

Answers

• PaulineM
    PaulineM Posts: 4

Please help. I followed your instructions exactly. But it did not help at all. I can't use my Mac. I get the same massages as before: 

Onherstelbare fout. 

SecurityAgent kan het gevraagde mechanisme TeamViewerAuthPluginniet aanmaken:start

I'll try to translate it in Englisch

Irrecoverable error.

SecurityAgent can not create the asked mechanism (?) TeamViewerAuthPlugin:start

What happened before: I put the Teamviewer app and all the documents that contained the words Teamviewer in the garbage bin of my Mac. 

• MoreCoffee
    MoreCoffee Posts: 46 Staff member 🤠

@PaulineM 

Unfortunately, macOS has no mechanism that would warn you when deleting a SecurityAgentPlugin without first deregistering it. I recommend always using the uninstaller provided in TeamViewer Preferences > Advanced if you want to remove TeamViewer.

Can you please double-check that you removed the authorization database in the correct location? Follow https://community.teamviewer.com/t5/General-Questions/Can-t-Boot-after-uninstalling-Teamviewer-on-Mac-OS-Catalina/m-p/75701/highlight/true#M33848. Take particular care in steps 2 and 5, as there are multiple possibilities how your Mac could be partitioned and your disk(s) could have different names.

• PaulineM

When I go to the Terminal is says: -bash-3.2#. What is this, I can not remove it. Should I?

• PaulineM

Thank you, I checked and double checked. I also tried the instruction RM and not rm. Id did not help!

• MoreCoffee

@PaulineM wrote:

When I go to the Terminal is says: -bash-3.2#. What is this, I can not remove it. Should I?

That's the "prompt", it's Terminal saying "I'm ready, tell me what to do". It'll also appear again after each command, indicating that the Terminal is ready for the next command.

• MoreCoffee

@PaulineM wrote:

Thank you, I checked and double checked. I also tried the instruction RM and not rm. Id did not help!

Lowercase rm is correct, no need to try uppercase.

Can you tell me the exact command you used, and what the output was? If you don't want to copy it all manually, taking a photo of what you're seeing on screen using your phone might be an option.

• PaulineM

How much coffee do you want?;-) It worked out, just did not know I had to press Enter at the end, for a second  -bash-3.2#.

• Ralg20
    Ralg20 Posts: 1

Hi - really hope that someone might be able to help. Since yesterday I'm receiving the Unrecoverable error message. I'm pretty certain that I didn't delete the TeamViewer plugin but I was trying to download the desktop version of Skype. The download wasn't working, so I moved earlier attempts to the bin and force quit as my laptop had stopped responding. 
    I've tried the fix but the error message is still there.

Thanks in advance for suggestions that might get my laptop up and running again.

• Hi, Recently i uninstalled teamviewer on my mac os and restart on my laptop showing the error is unrecoverable error. Please explain how to fix this issue. I am so sad because i can't use my laptop 

• Vatsilidis
    Vatsilidis Posts: 655 ⭐Star⭐

Hi @Rahul03Kp 

Could you please clarify the error exactly?

Has an error code or it sais more details on it?

You mac until what step reaches when booting? Do you see the login screen?

Best regards

• The error I am seeing is this.

unrecoverable error. security agent was unable to create requested mechanism teamviewer authplugin: start 

when I put it on recovery mode, it asks for my password, which I have forgotten, which is why I am not able to use my laptop. so please help me to this issue

• Rahul03Kp
    Rahul03Kp Posts: 3

The error I am seeing is this

unrecoverable error. security agent was unable to create requested mechanism teamviewer authplugin: start

And when I put it on recovery mode, it asks for my password, which I have forgotten, which is why I am not able to use my laptop. so please help me how to resolve this issue.

• Vatsilidis
    Vatsilidis Posts: 655 ⭐Star⭐

Hi @Rahul03Kp 

There is a fix for such errors. I would suggest you look at this related post, But please, you must be very careful when entering the disk utility menu or when executing commands at the level of permission within the operating system.

Please look to the Solution of this post and be very careful. 

I hope this helps you solve it. 

Best regards

• 123456qwe
    123456qwe Posts: 1

At this step I am having issues

1. Enter the command
      rm "/Volumes/<your disk>/var/db/auth.db"
      Replace <your disk> with the name of your built-in hard disk, e.g.
      rm "/Volumes/Macintosh HD/var/db/auth.db"
      Make sure not to forget the quotes in case your disk name contains spaces.

I type in the name of my built in disc. I have a macbook air catalina os. The computer responds No such file or directory.

• MoreCoffee

@123456qwe  

Check in Disk Utility to make sure the disk is actually mounted (see step 2). 

Also, don't forget the quotes around the path, and make sure the spelling is correct, including capitalization.

• MoreCoffee

@Rahul03Kp Are you sure you have forgotten your password? You would have needed your Mac's admin account password to delete the authentication plugin (or to install software that can do that).

If you think you have the correct password but it isn't accepted, check in the upper right corner of the screen if macOS Recovery might be using a different keyboard layout from the one you're used to.

If your Mac permits starting from an external hard drive/USB drive, booting from an installation medium might be another way to recover from this. You can find more informtion about this on Apple's website: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314

• namiraj
    namiraj Posts: 1

Hello,

teamviewer was not working on my MacBook OS Catalina after I downloaded it as my broadband would not authorise it. I subsequently dragged and dropped it in trash. I shut down yesterday and this morning I cannot get on my MacBook! The home screen does not load it says "UNRECOVERABLE ERROR SecurityAgent was unable to create requested mechanism TeamViewerAuthPlugin:start. " 

I have all my work on there and it has not been backed up please help I need to access my documents

C9A34751-9C87-4ED9-9E26-333EC7905960.jpeg

• JeanK
    JeanK Posts: 6,973 Community Manager 🌍

Hello @namiraj,

Thank you for your message and welcome to the TeamViewer Community! ?

We explain how to proceed in this post right here: Re: Can't Boot after uninstalling Teamviewer on Mac OS Catalina 

I hope this could help. ?

If not, do not hesitate to ask your questions here. ?

Best regards

Jean 

Community Manager

• Hi command r was initially working on my mac but due to somw issue i shut down my mac and then tried cmmand r but now its not working what to do error is continuously coming im worried. Pls help

• Hi my computer is not starting up as per usual and it keeps showing this unrecoverable error message after I deleted the TeamViewer app and files... Could you help me? Thanks

• Happy to be out the other side of typing the code in Terminal. It worked !

Just a quick one - do I still need to uninstall TeamViewer properly ? @MoreCoffee 

I will not be restarting my machine until I hear back

Phew

• JeanK

Hello @Cheryl_1234

You will find how to fix this issue here: Re: Can't Boot after uninstalling Teamviewer on Mac OS Catalina 

Please follow carefully each step. ☝

If not, do not hesitate to ask your questions here. ?

Best regards

Jean

Community Manager

• I made an account just to thank you for this @MoreCoffee  ?

@MoreCoffee wrote:

This issue can be caused by deleting an authorization plugin on macOS (in this case, TeamViewerAuthPlugin.bundle) without de-registering it first.

We recommend always using the built-in uninstaller in TeamViewer (Preferences > Advanced). This makes sure that the plugin is properly de-registered before deletion.

In my tests,  CleanMyMac X versions prior to 4.4.5 seem to be deleting the plugin without de-registering it, so that could have caused the issue. If you use CleanMyMac X, you'll want to make sure to use the newest version.

If you do not have the possibility to restore the plugin as described by @Mrsharifi, you may instead be able to delete your Mac's authorization database. Your Mac re-creates a missing database during the next startup (using some default settings that are fine for most users).

1. Start your Mac in macOS Recovery by holding down Cmd-R until the Apple logo appears.
      Once your Mac has booted into macOS Recovery, you should see a window titled "macOS Utilities".
    2. To delete the authorization database, your Mac's hard disk needs to be mounted and you will need to know its name (usually something like "Macintosh HD" or "macOS").
      1. Open Disk Utility and check the left sidebar for the name of your disk. For Macs running Catalina, look for the name that does not end in "- Data".
      2. Select the disk in the sidebar.
      3. Click "Mount" in the toolbar (if you only see "Unmount", it is already mounted and you don't need to do anything).
      4. Quit Disk Utility.
    3. You should be back at the "macOS Utilities" window.
    4. From the menu bar on top of the screen, open Utilities > Terminal.
    5. Enter the command
      rm "/Volumes/<your disk>/var/db/auth.db"
      Replace <your disk> with the name of your built-in hard disk, e.g.
      rm "/Volumes/Macintosh HD/var/db/auth.db"
      Make sure not to forget the quotes in case your disk name contains spaces.
    6. Restart your Mac.

• When i start my mac osx computer laptop, a unrecoverable error for the security agent appears an will not go away when i click ok. It persists to stay on my screen an simply move my mouse to the top left corner side of my screen. I am unable to get to my start up screen so i can sign into my laptop. I have tried calling and talking to a bot but so far im either hung up on or they end the conversation before the problem is even asked about. 

• JeanK

Hello @Cjohnson01

We are sorry to hear that you are faving this issue, too...?

We explain how to proceed in this post right here: Solution | Re: Can't Boot after uninstalling Teamviewer on Mac OS Catalina 

Best regards

Jean

Community Manager

• I installed team viewer in my Mac and now it's not working my Mac book is showing unrecoverable error security agent was unable to create requested mechanism TeamViewerauthPlugin:start 

• JeanK

Hello @Gunjaaarora__,

Other users also encountered this issue and could solve it with the following procedure:

✅ Solution Re: Can't Boot after uninstalling Teamviewer on Mac OS Catalina

I really hope this could help. ?

Best regards

Jean

Community Manager

• Hello guys!

Thanks for your great responses.

I had resolved half of the issue. 

I had this error: "unrecoverable error security agent was unable to create requested mechanism builtin:prelogin"

The aforementioned solution by MoreCoffee fixed the error, however when I try to login and enter my laptop password on the Mac Os Catalina login screen, the system keeps thinking and doesn't get past the login screen. The never-ending rotating dots.

I tried repairing both volumes Macintosh HD and Data in recovery mode, that did not help.

What started the issue for me was downgrading from Mac OS Big Sur to Catalina using Time machine backup.

This is pathetic taking into account that I am using a 2019 MacBook Pro 16 inch model. Performance on Big Sur was a Bogdan **bleep**. 

Thank you and would appreciate your help. 

Mike 

• aadlf
    aadlf Posts: 1
    edited February 2021

Good day!

I encountered a problem with Team Viewer in my laptop as I tried to delete it from my desktop. I restarted my laptop (Macbook Air) and it won’t open because of an Unrecoverable Error (attached above).

I google searched numerous solutions none worked for me. Would greatly appreciate your help and support. 

Thank you.

• JeanK

Community Manager