Announcements

Shape the future of the TeamViewer product with our Product Team. Click here to join!

Posted by DSperber
Trigon

Cannot sign in (Computers and Contacts) when WMC Extender connected

I am running a Win7 HTPC with Windows Media Center as my whole-home DVR system supporting five HDTV's and WMC Extenders around my house.  When a WMC Extender is in use, it is actually functioning using Remote Desktop Protocol, connected to the HTPC as a "user".  Up to five extenders can be in use simultaneously, each one being an RDP client.

I have recently noticed that when any of my Extenders is actually active (e.g. I am watching a recorded TV program at one of my HDTV's through the related WMC extender) it is impossible to connect to any of the remote PC's on my team (i.e. through Team Viewer's "Computers and Contacts") because the entire user interface has gone blank!  In fact the password area has gone blank and the SIGNIN button has become grayed out, even though just before the WMC extender became active I was actually logged into the TeamViewer system and the Computers and Contacts window was perfectly normal and presented all of my team computers.

TV_login-with-RDP-connected.jpg

If I disconnect the WMC extender (i.e. the RDP client disconnects), lo and behold the normal Computers and Contacts window automatically just reappears by itself showing all of my team computers again.

I suspect there may be something about RDP and network security as considered by TeamViewer that prevents Computers and Contacts from "phoning home" and keep me conencted to the TeamViewer system site.

Note that if I do actually have an ongoing active connection to computers on my team, those connections remain active. It is only the Computers and Contacts window which "goes blank".  However if I disconnect from any of these active connections I will not be able to reconnect to them again until I terminate my WMC extender RDP connection to the HTPC since the Computers and Contacts window will remain blank ad long as a WMC extender (i.e. active RDP client connection) is functioning.

1 Reply
Highlighted
Posted by DSperber
Trigon

Re: Cannot sign in (Computers and Contacts) when WMC Extender connected

Well, a bit more experimentation and a bit more information. The essence of this thread is still the same... that TeamViewer appears to have its Computers and Contacts interface impacted by an active Windows Media Center extender connection (i.e. RDP active).

I didn't describe the sequence of events quite correctly in my original post. What actually happens is that when the WMC extender goes active the Computers and Contacts mostly goes blank. In particular all of my team computers disappear and the password goes blank, but the signin button is still blue... suggesting you might be able to sign in.  But actually if you click on the password area to actually enter something, the signin button grays out instantly.  So you can't really sign in at all.

Here's how things looked at first:

TV_team.jpg

And then I activated one of my WMC extenders.  Here's what then instantly happened to the Computers and Contacts window:

TV_login-after-extender-connects.jpg

As I've now described, if I actually click on the password area the signin button goes gray, preventing actually signing in.  And actually I can't even type anything in the password area.

This state remains until I disonnect the WMC extender.  At that instant the signin button comes back to blue, and the password area becomes usable again. I can now enter my password and push the signin button and connection to the Team Viewer site occurs and my team of computers once again appears..