How to save local lan ip address to computers list? team viewer 13 free

Morrie
Morrie Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited May 2023 in General questions

Is there any way for me to save local lan ip adresses that I use for direct lan connection  to my computers list? I'm using Team Viewer 13 free.

Best Answers

Answers

• MCarter
    MCarter Posts: 9

If you have an internal DNS server and accept LAN connections enabled, you should be able to type the computer name in the TeamViewer ID field

If you just want a list of computer names matched with ip addresses, there are VB scripts out there to do that, but it would remain separate from TeamViewer 

The only way I can think of without automated tools in a corporate environment, is to manually rename the host when you add it to your C&C for unattended access

In the example below, change MARK-PC to MARK-PC [IP Address removed by moderator]

The drawback to this is that youre hard-coding the IP. If the machine is setup as DHCP and it ever changes, the information you setup here would become out of date. This is why DNS names or keeping a separate list is preferred

teamviewer_3.png

• Morrie
    Thanks MCarter, but what I was trying to achieve was not having to type anything, just be able to click an entry in the Team Viewer list of My Computers. I don't see any logical reason why Team Viewer won't allow IP addresses to be stored in its own My Computers list along with team viewer ids/aliases (all machines will have an internet connection as well as internal Lan access so can see the team Viewer My Computers list quite happily), but that's just how Team Viewer have chosen to implement it. If I have to enter anything each time, an IP address is ok, but what I would LIKE is to be able to add a clickable entry in the normal Team Viewer My Computers lists for an internal Lan IP Address, and then give that a meaningful alias in the list, just as you can do with existing entries in that list. Cheers. Maybe Team Viewer will see that as a new feature request and add that facility later to the free version. This is not a corporate environment, but the free version, being used to control computers doing remote astrophotography in a non commercial environment.
  • MCarter

If you want a clickable entry in C&C, using a free account, you'll need to sign in to your teamviewer account on each machine you want to have access to, add it to your computers, and setup an unattended password. 

The default alias in doing this is the computer name, but that can be changed, as shown in previous reply. 

The reason why TV is not setup to display IP addresses is that in the majority of environments, they are dynamically assigned. They may not change once they get an address, but the fact is, they can

• Morrie
    Thanks MCarter. Unfortunately the moderator removed your example of how to get ip nto the unattended setup name so I can't see how to do that fron what you posted. Can you post that again with a generic nnn.nnn.n.nn ip example. I need to make sure the unattended connection goes through the lan and doesn't choose internet, for speed reasons. When I said remote it is just in another building at same site on same wired lan I already have unattended access set up but it is using convlnection internet by default, not lan.
  • MCarter

Previous message is still there. Im not seeing any moderation activity.

Anyway, you'll need to go to each computer you want to control. Open TeamViewer

If you have the full version on each computer, from the main panel, go to Extras > Options > Account Assignment. Sign in with your TeamViewer account

If you have the host module installed on the remote computers, from the main panel, click on the settings icon (gear symbol) and go to Account Assignment, and sign in with your account

In the network settings above account assignment, make sure Incoming LAN Connections are set to accept

Above that you'll see Your display name. Lets say it currently displays MarkPC. You can get the computer's IP address and add it to this field, so that it now reads MarkPC 192.168.1.107

Now go to Security on the left hand side of the options panel 

At the top, you'll see the heading Personal Password (for unattended access) Here  you'll want to enter a password that you'll use to access the computer

OK the options panel and the computer should now show up in your Computers & Contacts

• Morrie

I greatly appreciate your help MCarter, and thank you for taking the time to try and assist,  but that method gives an internet connection, not a Lan one. The ONLY way I can see to initiate a direct Lan connection ( in the free version) is to make the connection by manually entering the actual IP adress (not an alias) at connection time, and those IP addresses, as confirmed by the Team Viewer staff member in the first reply of this thread, cannot be stored in the computers list. If I select an entry from  the team viewer My Computers list, no matter how that entry is created, it will never make a direct LAN connection, but will always ,make an internet connction, at least that is how it  is working in the free version of team viewer. 

Cheers

• MCarter

If you never want to use internet connection, in the Incoming LAN connections option, set to accept exclusively

This way, no matter what way you try to connect, it will only connect over lan

• Morrie

That can be done, but once "accept lan connections exculsively" is set on then that computer shows as greyed out/offline in the account's team viewer computers list and can only be connected to by entering the ip number at connection time, not by clicking an entry in a list. From what the Team Viewer staffer said, and my experience, there simply seems no way to initiate a lan connection by clicking an entry in the computers list, in the free version. Doing that will only ever intiate an internet connection, never a lan connection.

Cheers, and thanks for your help

• Morrie
    Thanks Scotty.
  • MCarter
    I was never suggesting you would have a click to connect on lan solutuon. You asked for a way to show the ip address in c&c.
  • farmerguiguy
    farmerguiguy Posts: 2 ✭✭

My main use for TV is to control a laptop in my living room when I'm recording television programs. I also live very rural and our internet connectivity is not very reliable. That's why I want to connect via my wifi lan. I also imagine it's much faster than when I connect via the Internet since I'm really only about 40 feet away.

Why not have a separate collection of local connections that don't involve TV servers. That bunch of connections would be only for LAN connections. That way we could save them (IP and password)

• Systox
    Systox Posts: 2 ✭✭

100% agree with Farmerguiguy and Morrie. Would be awesome to have a way to quickly connect via LAN. Manually typing the IP and password is a drag.

• SugarHBear
    SugarHBear Posts: 1

+1 I would like a way to save LAN devices for easy re-connection.

My concern is with security. I'm only going to access the host on the LAN, so I have no desire to open up access to the Internet, even with 2FA.

• blackfireball5
    blackfireball5 Posts: 1

I found a decent alternative that I wanted to share.

You can create a desktop icon shortcut that will directly connect to a client. These are the steps to do it:

https://forum.nomachine.com/topic/making-a-shortcut-for-direct-connection

If you replace the client ID with the local ip address, it works. To be even faster you can pin the shortcut to taskbar or start menu. No need to even look at the Teamviewer UI at all.