MSI update to Teamviewer 13 fails with Critical Error

AlexFogerty
AlexFogerty Posts: 35 ✭✭
edited May 2023 in General questions

Hi guys,

We set up an MSI to deploy the Teamviewer 13 upgrade across the network and while most have succeeded, some have not.

After the upgrade TeamViewer will no longer start, and when run from:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Teamviewer\Teamviewer.exe

We then get one of two error messages:

"Failed to update service properties." (which then opens)

or

"Critical Error

Verification of your TeamViewer version failed! TeamViewer will quit for security reasons. Please reinstall TeamViewer."

Doing a repair on the install fixes it, but it a huge hassle as it requires an end user to run, or I have to access the computer through RDP after allowing RDP and dropping the local firewall through a remote registry edit.

What can I do to fix this? I have screenshots of the error messages if that helps. I can also provide logs.

Best Answer

Answers

• Les1948
    Les1948 Posts: 1
    edited December 2021

They never fixed it, I have been having the same problem for years.

I use a competitor's product, connect to the computer and when I click on TeamViewer to start it, it says "failed to update teamviewer service properties" then starts up and the computer can be connected to. Similar problems with **Third Party Product**, formerly **Third Party Product** and **Third Party Product**.

Les

@AlexFogerty wrote:

Hi guys,

We set up an MSI to deploy the Teamviewer 13 upgrade across the network and while most have succeeded, some have not.

After the upgrade TeamViewer will no longer start, and when run from:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Teamviewer\Teamviewer.exe

We then get one of two error messages:

"Failed to update service properties." (which then opens)

or

"Critical Error

Verification of your TeamViewer version failed! TeamViewer will quit for security reasons. Please reinstall TeamViewer."

Doing a repair on the install fixes it, but it a huge hassle as it requires an end user to run, or I have to access the computer through RDP after allowing RDP and dropping the local firewall through a remote registry edit.

What can I do to fix this? I have screenshots of the error messages if that helps. I can also provide logs.

• TConard
    TConard Posts: 10 ✭✭

@AlexFogerty resuscitating an old thread here, but my company is receiving this "Failed to update TeamViewer service properties." error and this thread is literally the only mark on the entire Internet where this specific string of text is mentioned.

Are you able to share your GPO so that we can all see your best practice?

Thanks.

• AlexFogerty
    AlexFogerty Posts: 35 ✭✭
    edited August 2023

Hi TConrad,

Sorry, this was almost 6 years ago. I can't see the GPO we had back then, it must have been deleted. We now use PDQ Inventory and PDQ Deploy to push out third party software such as TeamViewer, and it works really well.

The advantage of PDQ is that it can also do remote uninstalls at well.