Prevent Team Viewer 9 from updating

Highlighted
Posted by
Henagon

Prevent Team Viewer 9 from updating

Teamviewer 9 is updating on our computer, which renders it incompatible with the other systems running it. 

We have already turned off auto-updating via the advanced feature prompts in the GUI. The users are not choosing to upgrade, as they know the update activity is breaking their use-case of the product. 

I am willing to do anything to get it to stop updating, as long as the user experience is the same. If anyone has any ideas or things to try that would be very helpful as I do not know how it is updating. We have RMM service and control the win10 patching. If windows can update team viewer it would be great to know what KB is doing this so I can blacklist it. 

3 Replies
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Posted by
Henagon
Solution

Re: Prevent Team Viewer 9 from updating

Thank you for the reply. I have resolved the issue. 

I'm not sure what the root cause was, but within the teamviewer program files folder there should be a subfolder called 'updates'. I set the entire program files directory for teamviewer to read-only access and this did not affect end-use use but prevented the program from being able to update as it couldn't write update files to the directory. You might just be able to set the updates folder as read-only. 

It's kind of a hacky method to fix, but since we only had one workstation with this issue it worked nicely. It's been over a week and we haven't had the program update itself.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Highlighted
Posted by Moderator Moderator

Hello @Nix2,

Thank you for your message and welcome in the TeamViewer Community! 🙌

If you have disabled the auto-update and the software is still updating by itself, this might be a bug and something our engineers need to take a closer look at.

Please open a ticket, our teams will be glad to help you: How to submit a ticket 

Best,

Jean

French Community Moderator
Did my reply answer your question ? Accept it as a solution to help others.
Find this helpful ? Say thanks by clicking on the Thumbs Up button.
Highlighted
Posted by
Henagon
Solution

Thank you for the reply. I have resolved the issue. 

I'm not sure what the root cause was, but within the teamviewer program files folder there should be a subfolder called 'updates'. I set the entire program files directory for teamviewer to read-only access and this did not affect end-use use but prevented the program from being able to update as it couldn't write update files to the directory. You might just be able to set the updates folder as read-only. 

It's kind of a hacky method to fix, but since we only had one workstation with this issue it worked nicely. It's been over a week and we haven't had the program update itself.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Posted by Moderator Moderator

Hello @Nix2,

Thanks a lot for sharing your solution! 🙌

This is indeed kind of hacky, but as long as it works...👍

Have a great week and stay safe. 🍀

Best,

Jean

French Community Moderator
Did my reply answer your question ? Accept it as a solution to help others.
Find this helpful ? Say thanks by clicking on the Thumbs Up button.