Prevent Team Viewer 9 from updating

Nix2
Nix2 Posts: 2
edited May 2023 in General questions

Teamviewer 9 is updating on our computer, which renders it incompatible with the other systems running it. 

We have already turned off auto-updating via the advanced feature prompts in the GUI. The users are not choosing to upgrade, as they know the update activity is breaking their use-case of the product. 

I am willing to do anything to get it to stop updating, as long as the user experience is the same. If anyone has any ideas or things to try that would be very helpful as I do not know how it is updating. We have RMM service and control the win10 patching. If windows can update team viewer it would be great to know what KB is doing this so I can blacklist it. 

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• JeanK
    JeanK Posts: 6,982 Community Manager 🌍

Hello @Nix2,

Thank you for your message and welcome in the TeamViewer Community! ?

If you have disabled the auto-update and the software is still updating by itself, this might be a bug and something our engineers need to take a closer look at.

Please open a ticket, our teams will be glad to help you: How to submit a ticket 

Best,

Jean

Community Manager

• JeanK
    JeanK Posts: 6,982 Community Manager 🌍

Hello @Nix2,

Thanks a lot for sharing your solution! ?

This is indeed kind of hacky, but as long as it works...?

Have a great week and stay safe. ?

Best,

Jean

Community Manager

• We have v12 and it is still auto updating even if updates are set to never.  We need this stopped.  Please give us an update that will allow us to keep the version we paid for.

• Works with Teamviewer 10

In Extra / Options / Advance / Show advanced option

Select > never check for new version / no automatic update

• WOOHOO!!. Trying to update manually with read only has stopped it so hopefully these **bleep** auto-magic updates will stop as well.  Stoopid to the max.  I have had the updates settings disabled for years on all exisiting and new computers as this happened to a couple computers in 2018 and had seemed fine since.

I started with TV6 and have now used TV9 for years with several remote customers where going onsite can take  days with boats, trains and planes...  

The auto updates started in March 2020 and with COVID-19 making its entrance restricting our ability to even go onsite to fix for everal clients.  Sometimes it upgrades to 12, 14, or 15 depending on the computer.

I contacted TV support in March 2020 with several examples and they asked me to send log files which I did and they could not figure it out.  worked with a few support folks who kept forwarding onto "engineers" with so solution.  I asked if they could not fix it to simply give me a current license so I could continue to support our customers with no repsonse. Their tech support is friendly but not able to fix this issue.  I will try the folder permissions hack and hope that helps.  I am currenty onsite at a remote location and re-installed on 20 computers and some are fine and others upgraded within a day evening though the aut-update settings were disabled.  I assume the others will autoupdate within days.

Certainly does not want me to purchase the new version.  We use another program for our MSP that gives us remote access so we have redundancy, but we were using the TV app to allow customers to have their own remote access.  As you can imagine this has played havoc as most of our customers now need remote access to get work doneteamview updates disabled.jpg